Rumor: Leaf 2017 to get 40kWh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dhanson865 said:
Nubo said:
dhanson865 said:
Is there much reason to be excited for 40 kWh Leaf when the Bolt is 60 kWh?

Aren't they about the same price and availability? ...

Well, no. The Bolt is NOT available. It does not exist. Therefore, it is NOT 60kWh.

And the 40 kWh leaf does not exist.

What's the disconnect?

I've seen official mention of 60 kWH from Chevrolet.

I've not seen official mention of 40 kWh from Nissan.

Why prefer a rumor over vaporware? Neither is here.

Fair enough.

I think if the price is right, then why not? Sure, would be great to have a 60, 80, 100 kW/h Leaf but until one exist that you can buy or any other out there (Bolt, Model 3, etc.) it's all pie in the sky. If Nissan starts taking away sales from potential EV buyers before the other car companies, it can really get them in front as leaders not followers (as quoted here before).

I think its also interesting to note in articles appearing online over the past couple of days that BMW is set to release a pure EV series 3 when its next generation comes out circa 2019. The article's I've seen speculate that they may be 90kw/h plus. It makes me wonder if speculation of the 40kw/h in the next Leaf will actually be competitive. But then again with so many manufactures looking at BEV's over the next 3 to 5 years maybe price of production and use of light weight materials will drop to make them much more affordable. Economies of scale...

Evoforce said:
Yes... the Leaf needs active cooling!!!
While active cooling would undoubtedly help I believe the larger battery will also help as the charging and discharge rates will effectively be lower reducing internally generated heat.

Interesting bit about a 48kWh Leaf prototype:
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/07/27/nissan-completes-48-kwh-leaf-prototype/

Yes, it's a prototype and not necessarily the next Leaf..
But still..
That's fully double the original Leaf pack..

But remember more batteries usually means more weight, which is probably where this quote from the article comes in:
The 48 kWh LEAF prototype reportedly features a single-charge range that’s been increased by around 75% over the current models.
Not what I'd need, as my commute is 120 miles both ways.. But still not bad for probably a lot of situations...

Of course, that's just a prototype.. I still think 40kWh is probably more realistic for a '17 Leaf, based on just going to 30kWh recently and the next big jump will be the '18.

desiv

dhanson865 said:
Is there much reason to be excited for 40 kWh Leaf when the Bolt is 60 kWh? Aren't they about the same price and availability? (can't get either today but both will come soon).

When the 24kWh battery was upped to 30kWh, Nissan made it available in all 50 states and offered $10,000 on the hood for leases and $4,000 on the hood for purchases through NMAC. There's no reason to expect Nissan won't do the same for the 40kWh upgrade for the 2017.

The Bolt will be market limited (similar to how the 2016 Volt was only available in a few states), and if they follow the Volt, they won't be offering nationwide incentives either.

40kWh LEAF: $35,000 - $4000 cash back - $7500 tax credit = $23500
60kWh Bolt: $40,000 - $0 cash back - $7500 tax credit = $32500

Leasing?

40kWh LEAF: $35,000 - $10,000 cash back = $25000
60kWh Bolt: $40,000 - $3200 cash back = $36800

That's a $9000-$11,800 price difference. I would take a 40kWh LEAF over a 60kWh Bolt if I could pocket $10,000 in savings.

with the CRAZY lease buy out offers Nissan is putting out right now, you have to think that something big is just around the corner. I got an offer that literally gives me my current LEAF but I want the range...

DaveinOlyWA said:
with the CRAZY lease buy out offers Nissan is putting out right now, you have to think that something big is just around the corner. I got an offer that literally gives me my current LEAF but I want the range...

What is the offer for a 2013 now, $8k? I too want more range, and to get my car for free they'd have to offer twice that much.

LeftieBiker said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

What is the offer for a 2013 now, $8k? I too want more range, and to get my car for free they'd have to offer twice that much.

$8K "off" which would bring mine down to near $4,000... but each person is getting a specialized offer so you would have to check what is available to you. Either way, unless someone pops up today and says they can retrofit the 30 kwh pack into my LEAF, I likely won't bite but I have 3 ½ months to decide

LeftieBiker said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

sorry for the late response but I quite frankly thought the offer was some sort of sales ploy to get me into the dealership to buy something else. I was offered $5803 to purchase LEAF along with waiving up to 6 months lease payments. I laughed and it went immediately into the garbage...

DaveinOlyWA said:
sorry for the late response but I quite frankly thought the offer was some sort of sales ploy to get me into the dealership to buy something else. I was offered $5803 to purchase LEAF along with waiving up to 6 months lease payments. I laughed and it went immediately into the garbage...
So... you took the deal? My 2013 lease ends in April; for about $6K I'd definitely keep the car.

jlv said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
So... you took the deal? My 2013 lease ends in April; for about $6K I'd definitely keep the car.

nope. tossed it in the garbage about 12 seconds after I received it thinking it was a sales ploy. It was a few days later when I posted it to Facebook and then found out others had received similar deals and had already purchased including one guy who had his last 6 months lease payments waived...

I really need more range and so I declined to consider it but now hoping to change jobs which reduces my driving need (I average just under 30,000 miles a year for work including about 15,000-18,000 a year on my cars) so who knows?

I am now thinking that great deals on 30 kwh LEAFs might be had...

A salesperson at a south Denver dealer told me to wait for the 2017's. He mentioned a change to the fascia, improved cargo capacity and a 35kWh battery. No other dealer seems to want to say anything to back this statement. He is right about one thing though, the crazy deals available now on a 2016 Leaf will only get better. Unfortunately I don't want to wait until November!

Oliverovan said:
A salesperson at a south Denver dealer told me to wait for the 2017's. He mentioned a change to the fascia, improved cargo capacity and a 35kWh battery. No other dealer seems to want to say anything to back this statement. He is right about one thing though, the crazy deals available now on a 2016 Leaf will only get better. Unfortunately I don't want to wait until November!

Sounds possible, but let's hope not. Another 5kwh in the same car, with small aero improvements, will yield maybe 120 mile EPA range, not 140 as rumored. The "improved cargo capacity" could just be the removal/reduction of those stupid pillar covers over the rear shocks, I suppose, but do we really want a choice between a 200 mile, fast, agile Bolt and a much slower Leaf that will barely make 110 miles in normal driving, and still won't carry much?

LeftieBiker said:
......do we really want a choice between a 200 mile, fast, agile Bolt and a much slower Leaf that will barely make 110 miles in normal driving, and still won't carry much?
As others said previously, tell me the actual difference in out-the-door price, then I'll answer your question. I'm not displeased with my 2013. Give me a 40 kWh Leaf at $10,000 less than the Bolt - that sounds like it would work for me.

Dooglas said:
LeftieBiker said:
......do we really want a choice between a 200 mile, fast, agile Bolt and a much slower Leaf that will barely make 110 miles in normal driving, and still won't carry much?
As others said previously, tell me the actual difference in out-the-door price, then I'll answer your question. I'm not displeased with my 2013. Give me a 40 kWh Leaf at $10,000 less than the Bolt - that sounds like it would work for me.

Except that the above was in reference to a 35kwh Leaf. I'll lease one if it's actually 40. If it's really 35 and the car isn't improved in numerous, easy to achieve small ways, they'd better be cheap.

Oliverovan said:

Which south Denver dealer were you talking to? I'm in the market for a Leaf (S or SV) soon.

LeftieBiker said:
Except that the above was in reference to a 35kwh Leaf. I'll lease one if it's actually 40. If it's really 35 and the car isn't improved in numerous, easy to achieve small ways, they'd better be cheap.
Well, yes. But, in fairness, this thread is actually about the rumor of a 40 kWh battery pack in the 2017 Leaf. And the rumor is from better sources than one dealer in Denver. The actual rumor from industry sources is 41 kWh. Is that correct? And is the year actually 2017? Well, my crystal ball is a little cloudy. ;)

Dooglas said:
LeftieBiker said:
Well, yes. But, in fairness, this thread is actually about the rumor of a 40 kWh battery pack in the 2017 Leaf. And the rumor is from better sources than one dealer in Denver. The actual rumor from industry sources is 41 kWh. Is that correct? And is the year actually 2017? Well, my crystal ball is a little cloudy. ;)

if talking about Renault, its not a rumor. The real rumor is using Renault's actions to predict what Nisan will do. They have never been on the same page EV wise since day one. I think its the right move. With the S now having 30 kwh, it would seem to be a no brainer that not everyone needs or wants to pay for a 200 mile EV. Besides, with careful Summer driving, I could get near 200 miles with 40 kwh (37 kwh usable)

This is all very interesting about the rumored 40 kWh LEAF for '17. I wish it was true.

I've got a '13 and I'm on a 12 month lease extension as of last June. When I did the extension, I was hoping that Nissan would not get a big black eye and not allow Chevy to be the first over 200 miles "affordable" EV and the '17 would be the new LEAF with the 60 kWh battery.

About two months ago, right after I made the extension, a friend of mine who is a very well known and experienced EV activist whom I trust implicitly had lunch with a Nissan exec in the LEAF program. The exec said that there would be no change in the '17 model at all and that the LEAF 2.0 with new body and 60 kWh battery will be the '18 model released at the very end of '17.

Maybe he didn't think that the 40 kWh battery was a significant change to mention or maybe he didn't know about it, which seems unlikely considering his position at Nissan.

I would be willing to lease a 40 kWh battery LEAF (if the cost is less than a Bolt) and would wait until the '18 model for the 60 kWh for two reasons.

1. Chademo versus S.A.E. Combo quick charge. I absolutely need a quick charger since I have NO ability to charge at home. Many Chademos in my area and several in the No Charge 2 Charge program. There are very few of the quick chargers that are S.A.E Combo so this is a negative about the Bolt for me.

2. Nissan incentives for going to a new LEAF. Waived $350 end of lease fee and a $500 credit towards "excessive wear." My only wear would possibly be tires and I think the $500 should be close to covering that.

If no bigger battery in the '17 LEAF, I will bolt to a Chevy Bolt and just have to make do with the S.A.E Combo quick charger.

Back