Rumor: Leaf 2017 to get 40kWh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extra capacity came with a price increase for 2016 and they aren't moving a lot of these. Given this was just last year chances are 40kWh pack will dictate a higher price still. Sounds like a good recipe for a product that will stagnate on dealer lots.

mtndrew1 said:
(EPA) 73 -> 84

You probably know this, but for others, that was not a real improvement - just the removal of the 80% charge option to report a higher number on the window sticker.

philip said:
mtndrew1 said:
(EPA) 73 -> 84

You probably know this, but for others, that was not a real improvement - just the removal of the 80% charge option to report a higher number on the window sticker.

Oh I know, but for Joe Consumer wandering onto a Nissan lot it's a change. In any event I am enjoying the pace of battery development on the price and energy density front.

Valdemar said:
Extra capacity came with a price increase for 2016 and they aren't moving a lot of these. Given this was just last year chances are 40kWh pack will dictate a higher price still. Sounds like a good recipe for a product that will stagnate on dealer lots.

If Nissan tries to move a 40 kWh Leaf in a six year old chassis for anywhere close to $37,500 against the 60 kWh Bolt EV at the same price they may sell in compliance car numbers.

Certainly Nissan must be prepared to face this new price/capacity ceiling. They can't possibly be that obtuse.

mtndrew1 said:
Nissan is certainly drawing down inventory of the '16 model right now, which might be another data point as it would be tough and pricey to move a 107 mile car when there's a 140 mile car sitting right next to it on the lot. There is less than a two month supply of Leafs on dealer lots at the moment which is historically low for this model and for Nissan products in general.

If the 40 kWh Leaf materializes for the '17 model year it's a pretty exciting indicator for the pace of energy density and price reduction in regards to EVs. I know it's not apples to apples, but within one model cycle the Leaf will have gone from (EPA) 73 -> 84 -> 107 -> 140 miles at similar price points, pack dimensions, and pack weights. Pretty exciting stuff!

yeah getting rid of cars is easy. all they have to do is adjust lease terms. guessing leasing isn't their first choice but it seems to be their fallback.

The price will be key, all right. People like me might be willing to buy or lease a 40kwh Leaf if it were priced below the Bolt - or, say, an SV with Premium Package for the same price as the entry-level Bolt. It would also have to have some kind of selectable charge level. The one thing about the Bolt that concerns me is GM's long record (maybe excepting the Volt) of having Bugs in their early production cars. I hate going to dealerships, and the one big thing the Leaf might offer despite the smaller pack is reliability.

don`t forget the EV1 story from GM,thats the reson why i prefere the nissan leaf,even if the bolt costs he same.
i support the forerunner,not the follower

xado1 said:
don`t forget the EV1 story from GM,thats the reson why i prefere the nissan leaf,even if the bolt costs he same.
i support the forerunner,not the follower

Bolt will have 60 kwh pack so LEAF should be significantly cheaper

here in europe the bolt will be sold by opel,under the name ampera-e,opel sold the chevy volt as ampera,and the ampera was a big flop here in europe,because of the bad marketing and dealers,who didnt want to sell the ampera

^^^ other areas in the US might be different, but in my area you NEVER hear about the Volt. Dealers never have one inside the dealership to look at, you never see an ad for one, salesman seem to know nothing about them, really pathetic IMO! A few years before getting my Leaf I tried to test drive a Volt and it took 3 dealers to find one that even had the Volt. Hopefully the Bolt will be different, seems to be getting a lot of buzz in the press so maybe they'll actually stock and try and sell them.......
Not that I've ever seen a ad for the Leaf but at least all the Nissan dealers I've been to seem to stock them and even have them on the sales floor to look at.

right,and why should i support such a company???
sorry,even if the bolt is cheaper with bigger batteries,i buy a leaf,or a new BMW i3 with rex.

right,and why should i support such a company???

Most Nissan dealers here no longer stock more than one Leaf, with many having none. The local Chevy dealers tend to have a few Volts. Do we judge companies by region, then, or what...?

When it comes down to it I'll replace my Leaf with a different vehicle.... but only if it fits my needs. While I like the idea of the 200 mile Bolt I won't be purchasing one, not because it's made by GM but because it will be too small. No my next BEV(or possibly PHEV) has to have more passenger and most importantly cargo room. From everything I've read about the Bolt it will have less than my Leaf, which does OK in the passenger room department(although rear seat is kind of cramped) but severely lacks in the cargo department for me.
Hopefully a Nissan e-NV200, possibly a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV or Chrysler Pacifica PHEV but probably not a Bolt, Volt or even another Leaf no matter what the battery size, until then I'll continue to drive my current Leaf which is a nice little commuter car but I want more than that for my next vehicle.

xado1 said:
i guess,if the 40kwh batterie really comes,renault/nissan will build it in the leaf,the e-nv 200 and the zoe.
That is my wish and what I've read might be the case as to why it's taking so long for the US to get the e-NV200, waiting for a large enough battery to make it practical for US use.
Me(and several other people around here) are waiting Nissan :D

NeilBlanchard said:
Since it is very likely the Leaf 2.0 has a 60kWh pack that is barely larger than the current 24 / 30 kWh pack, it seem more likely we will see a 60kWh in the highest range option. I hope we see the Leaf 2.0 before 2018, because if we do not - the Bolt EV will steal most of Leaf sales. Because it is coming later this year, or early next year - with a 60kWh pack. For basically the same price as today's 30kWh Leaf.

*purported* to be coming. Whether or not it arrives on time, at a price point or in sufficient quantities to cannibalize LEAF sales, is speculation at this point. Chevy keep talking about their EV while Nissan keep building them.

jjeff said:
From what I've read about the '13 model year I don't think they'd ever go with the simple 80% option as for whatever reason the EPA wouldn't give the Leaf the full 100% range, instead I believe they split the difference between 80 and 100%. ...

I believe the reason for the EPA range restriction was that Nissan worded its owners' manual to suggest that 80% was the preferred charge setting ("long-life mode" they called it). The gist was that 100% charging should be reserved for special circumstances because of detriment to the battery. With statements like those, it's only natural for EPA to rate the car based on the "regular", non-detrimental charge level.

Had they used different wording, I suspect they would not have taken that range hit.

Nubo said:
jjeff said:
From what I've read about the '13 model year I don't think they'd ever go with the simple 80% option as for whatever reason the EPA wouldn't give the Leaf the full 100% range, instead I believe they split the difference between 80 and 100%. ...

I believe the reason for the EPA range restriction was that Nissan worded its owners' manual to suggest that 80% was the preferred charge setting ("long-life mode" they called it). The gist was that 100% charging should be reserved for special circumstances because of detriment to the battery. With statements like those, it's only natural for EPA to rate the car based on the "regular", non-detrimental charge level.

Had they used different wording, I suspect they would not have taken that range hit.

IIRC didn't it also default to 80% if you just got in the car and did nothing? If you switched it to 100% does the car remember that for every charge session going forward? Does anyone know if a Tesla defaults to 100% from the factory? I would guess in the real world 99.9% of Teslas aren't at the default due to the non dealership model probably discussing what is best for the owner and setting it up with them at delivery.

The other car to compare it to is the MB B class ED that defaults to it's less than 100% and that's what the EPA rates it at. IIRC each time you want 100% you have to select it before you get out of the car.

As for the rumour I think there's a strong case for it happening and I would guess it would come with a price bump to take advantage of people rushing to get something new then we'll see incentives to buy it just like we did with the 2016. It's a shame because I think the 2015 cars were priced right where a 140 mile EV would do well (after incentives).

Also someone mentioned that the S would then get the 30kWh battery, that will probably be the volume model.

minispeed said:
Nubo said:
jjeff said:

IIRC didn't it also default to 80% if you just got in the car and did nothing? If you switched it to 100% does the car remember that for every charge session going forward?
I don't remember what it was set to when I got it new but if I had to guess I'd say 100% and yes once set to 80% or back to 100% it remembers it until you go into the menus and change it. Note it also charges to this level if using the timer unlike my '12 SL where the only way to access 80% is to use the timer.

Back