Rumor: Leaf 2017 to get 40kWh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All that Nissan has to do to re-implement adjustable charging is to offer several different settings, and not specify that only one of them is preferable. It boggles the mind that they didn't do this in, say, 2014.

That would be really cool if they do 40kwh for 2017. That would be enough range for me to give up my oldest ICE which is now my main commuter and get my 2nd BEV. We really like our Leaf. Though I'm leaning more toward the B, i3 or eGolf once those have adequate range, which may well be in the same timeframe.

Hopefully, down the road, they will allow those of us with degraded 24kwh batteries to replace with 30kwh or 40kwh versions. I know this is a controversial point as many refuse to plop the money into a car that has depreciated so much. But from a green point of view, extending the life of an otherwise good car can be very resource efficient, though economically unpleasant.

DaveinOlyWA said:
well a statement with no supporting links definitely qualifies as a rumor.
Heh. Dealers can say stuff all the time, true or not.

When I bought my 02 Nissan Maxima in late 01, the salesman claimed the next gen would get a V8 engine. I don't recall if he stated it as a rumor, something he heard or something he knew for sure. Well, fast forward to now, it still has never gotten a V8.

(FWIW, I did have a good buying experience and returned to him to buy a new 350Z from him almost 2 years later...)

I hope they have a new motor and suspension because with a heavier pack and increased weight they will need it. The car is already one of the slower EVs on the road.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

When I bought my 02 Nissan Maxima in late 01, the salesman claimed the next gen would get a V8 engine. I don't recall if he stated it as a rumor, something he heard or something he knew for sure. Well, fast forward to now, it still has never gotten a V8.

(FWIW, I did have a good buying experience and returned to him to buy a new 350Z from him almost 2 years later...)

have a lot of dealer contacts here and no one here is saying anything and remember it was the Pacific NW that leaked the 30 kwh battery months before anyone else

EVDRIVER said:
I hope they have a new motor and suspension because with a heavier pack and increased weight they will need it. The car is already one of the slower EVs on the road.

Have to agree, it's unlikely. Nissan aren't really knowing for making normal cars that are fast, while the current Leaf is fast enough to 60 it's pretty slow beyond that. Sure most Leaf drivers won't drive faster but sometimes you need to over take at speed.

Nissan are in trouble with GM releasing the Bolt EV 60 Kwh with 200 Hp , they need to get Gen II out fast and make it bigger and faster and give it a proper boot/trunk.

o00scorpion00o said:
EVDRIVER said:

Have to agree, it's unlikely. Nissan aren't really knowing for making normal cars that are fast, while the current Leaf is fast enough to 60 it's pretty slow beyond that. Sure most Leaf drivers won't drive faster but sometimes you need to over take at speed.

Nissan are in trouble with GM releasing the Bolt EV 60 Kwh with 200 Hp , they need to get Gen II out fast and make it bigger and faster and give it a proper boot/trunk.

When it comes to EVs it's one of the slowest and most underpowered out there. Adding significant weight without power upgrades is just a band aide approach. The will need to really give huge deals to see against full featured cars like the Bolt.

A 40kwh Leaf that did 0-60MPH in 8 seconds but had a top speed of "only" 85MPH would be fine with me. As for the extra weight, it would be like driving with an extra 10 YO child in the car at all times.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Lol, salesmen will say anything that pops into their head. It must be part of their training that it's far more important to have an answer for everything, whether it's true or not. Either that or it's just for their own amusement. First time I bought a car I asked the salesperson what "overdrive" was. "Oh, it puts a negative charge on the engine for better economy". In fact I'm not entirely sure I've ever gotten a fully knowledgeable and correct answer about anything from a car salesman, ever.

Nubo said:
...Lol, salesmen will say anything that pops into their head. It must be part of their training that it's far more important to have an answer for everything, whether it's true or not. Either that or it's just for their own amusement. First time I bought a car I asked the salesperson what "overdrive" was. "Oh, it puts a negative charge on the engine for better economy". In fact I'm not entirely sure I've ever gotten a fully knowledgeable and correct answer about anything from a car salesman, ever.
Back in 2011 my LEAF salesman actually learned quite a bit about the car from me. I expect that was pretty common back in those early days. Nice guy, no BS.

dgpcolorado said:
Nubo said:
...Lol, salesmen will say anything that pops into their head. It must be part of their training that it's far more important to have an answer for everything, whether it's true or not. Either that or it's just for their own amusement. First time I bought a car I asked the salesperson what "overdrive" was. "Oh, it puts a negative charge on the engine for better economy". In fact I'm not entirely sure I've ever gotten a fully knowledgeable and correct answer about anything from a car salesman, ever.
Back in 2011 my LEAF salesman actually learned quite a bit about the car from me. I expect that was pretty common back in those early days. Nice guy, no BS.

Nubo pretty much has it right. When I sold cars, we were told a bunch of crap and to be honest with ya, I think it was simply crap passed on. I don't think our management team lied to us, they were just parroting what we were told. We had a team taking Energi's from dealership to dealership for training (all our training was normally CBT) and they told us the Energi's would be here the next quarter (they showed up 1½ years later...) so sometimes your salesman is being honest with u based on what he knows which...well, you know

IF this rumor is true, then I'm fairly excited. A 107 mile range Leaf for under $30k and a ~ 140 mile Leaf for around $35k (better equipped) would represent substantial progress against my 2015 Leaf S. Now, the competition is getting much better so that doesn't mean Leaf will sell in bigger numbers, but it definitely represents progress.

Bufordleaf said:
IF this rumor is true, then I'm fairly excited. A 107 mile range Leaf for under $30k and a ~ 140 mile Leaf for around $35k (better equipped) would represent substantial progress against my 2015 Leaf S. Now, the competition is getting much better so that doesn't mean Leaf will sell in bigger numbers, but it definitely represents progress.

Is there much reason to be excited for 40 kWh Leaf when the Bolt is 60 kWh?

Aren't they about the same price and availability? (can't get either today but both will come soon).

I'd have to think for the Leaf to matter either

A. it'll have to be cheaper than Bolt
B. it'll have to be 60 kWh
C. it'll have to have more availability (If for some reason Bolt is back ordered or compliance states only).

If C is true then it can be 40 kWh at the same price and still sell like hotcakes to people that can't get Bolt due to availability.

If A is true then it can be 40 kWh because it is cheaper and people will buy the cheaper option if not worried about range.

If B is true then woohoo, its a non issue unless you live in the hot parts of the US.

dhanson865 said:

Aren't they about the same price and availability? ...

Well, no. The Bolt is NOT available. It does not exist. Therefore, it is NOT 60kWh.

A proven design is generally preferable to a new build - especially if the new build is by an American manufacturer. GM seems to have avoided most of the New Model Bugs with the Volt, but I'm guessing that we can't count on them repeating that with the Bolt. I might be willing to trade 60 miles of range I rarely need for a nicer, slightly larger car with which I'm already very familiar. If Nissan prices the 40kwh SV below the entry level Bolt (and the same price as the Bolt for a fully optioned SV), I'm interested.

dhanson865 said:
Bufordleaf said:

Aren't they about the same price and availability? (can't get either today but both will come soon).

I'd have to think for the Leaf to matter either

A. it'll have to be cheaper than Bolt
B. it'll have to be 60 kWh
C. it'll have to have more availability (If for some reason Bolt is back ordered or compliance states only).

If C is true then it can be 40 kWh at the same price and still sell like hotcakes to people that can't get Bolt due to availability.

If A is true then it can be 40 kWh because it is cheaper and people will buy the cheaper option if not worried about range.

If B is true then woohoo, its a non issue unless you live in the hot parts of the US.

Yes... the Leaf needs active cooling!!!

Nubo said:
dhanson865 said:

Aren't they about the same price and availability? ...

Well, no. The Bolt is NOT available. It does not exist. Therefore, it is NOT 60kWh.

And the 40 kWh leaf does not exist.

What's the disconnect?

I've seen official mention of 60 kWH from Chevrolet.

I've not seen official mention of 40 kWh from Nissan.

Why prefer a rumor over vaporware? Neither is here.

IDK if there is any justification for this perception, but to me the Bolt looks like a compact crossover where the LEAF looks more like a hatchback.

People will pay more for compact crossover than they will for a hatchback, even as the lines blur between the two.

Back