range extender

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received the response below from them:

"Our customer support team personnel has replied to your support request #413456

The prices for 4KWH and 8KWH kits are $3495 and $5495 respectively. You can expand it to 12KWh kit. it is $7495.

The extra packs are 48V. We have a DC/DC converter to step it up to 390V to charge the OEM stock traction battery so that you have more energy to drive.

Our 48V packs are charged at the same time as the main pack by the same J1772 level 2 charging plug.

The integration is seamless. It is invisible to the vehicle except the pack drops slower than normal and has longer range."

then a second email:

"4KWH kit weighs 160 lbs. 8KWH kit weighs 260 lbs. And 12KWH kit weighs 360 lbs.

Our battery chemistry is Lithium Phosphate (LiFePO4). It is even more durable and safer than OEM Leaf battery (Lithium Manganese).

We control the discharge rate at 1CA. It further extends the life of the battery. It is rated 2000 cycles when it degrades to 80% rated capacity. "

Here are more details http://enginer.us/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Leaf+Installation+Manual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The price is the same as standard 4KWH and 8KWH kits ($3495 and $5495 respectively)

chenyj said:
Here are more details http://enginer.us/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Leaf+Installation+Manual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The price is the same as standard 4KWH and 8KWH kits ($3495 and $5495 respectively)

I'm interested. Where are you located? Also, when I want to DC charge, I also want to charge my Aux battery with the J1772. That is currently not possible. Can you add a separate J1772 port just for this option?

Does the pack have a proper BMS to balance the cells? Does it have a charger, or does it merely "siphon off" power from the existing 3.3kW charger?

TonyWilliams said:
chenyj said:
The Enginer auxiliary pack shares the same J1772 charging port. No extra plug is needed.

Please explain how I could charge without a separate plug while DC charging. Just saying "not needed" doesn't answer that. I need it.

Isn't the battery "considered" one battery after the expansion? So charging it on DC will be charging both batteries? Or did I read something wrong?

ztanos said:
Isn't the battery "considered" one battery after the expansion? So charging it on DC will be charging both batteries? Or did I read something wrong?

No, the Enginer 48V pack is discharged independently from the OEM traction pack. A step up DC/DC converter will feed the energy into the traction pack continuously at a fixed rate. The 4KWH pack will last one hour and the 8KWH pack will last two hours. That is in similar discharge rate as the OEM traction pack. That is a distinct feature of our approach to make the same kit fit all HEV/PEV/EV models.

chenyj said:
Our 48V pack has a separate charging that takes 240V from the existing J1772 port. When you charge the Leaf, you will charge the Enginer aux pack as well.
Does that mean that with your modification the car will pull more than 240V/16A? Or does it share the available current with the onboard charger? What about when charging on L1 120V/12A?

drees said:
Does that mean that with your modification the car will pull more than 240V/16A? Or does it share the available current with the onboard charger? What about when charging on L1 120V/12A?

Yes, that is correct. The total current will be 21A @ 240V or 22A @ 120V

chenyj said:
drees said:

Yes, that is correct. The total current will be 21A @ 240V or 22A @ 120V

I would like to restate what I think I've read. The current J1772 plug provides 240 volts variable amps based on what the car says it needs. The current leaf will ask for no more than 16amps because it only has a 3.3kw charger. Your add on battery pack has it's own charger which will cause the car to request 21Amps - 16Amps for the OEM Leaf, and an additional 5Amps for your add on battery.

What about L-3 DC charging?

If you have a J1772 --and-- a ChadeMo quick charger BOTH plugged into the LEAF, neither will charge. The car won't allow it, therefore there must be a switch to power only the auxiliary battery from J1772, or a separate port.

Not difficult to work around, but also not addressed.

N952JL said:
chenyj said:
I would like to restate what I think I've read. The current J1772 plug provides 240 volts variable amps based on what the car says it needs. The current leaf will ask for no more than 16amps because it only has a 3.3kw charger. Your add on battery pack has it's own charger which will cause the car to request 21Amps - 16Amps for the OEM Leaf, and an additional 5Amps for your add on battery.

The charging station will inform the vehicle the maximum current that the vehicle can draw from the charging station. The vehicle does NOT ask for maximum current in level 2 standard. In Level 3 charging, the vehicle will ask for constant current level. So just make sure the charging station or outlet can supply sufficient current for both chargers. We tested the kit and there is no issue with that.

Reference:http://www.park-charge.ch/documents/EV-infrastructure%20project.pdf

We don't accept fast DC charging for the auxiliary pack.

this gives me hope for the future. GM CEO recently talked about a new battery in the testing stage which might be out in 3 years. It boost the battery to 400+kwh/g while the current leaf is somewhere around 100kwh/g.

I assume your company can addapt to new battery types as they come out. It is possible for you to offer a replacement pack for old leafs, replacing their current battery packs with new technology battery pack, plus your add on. Assuming a 3 to 1 improvement in the current Leaf's and a 2 to 1 improvement in your current batteries we get a Leaf pack of 72kwh and an addon of 24kwh for a total of 96kwh. With 80kwh usable and at 4mile/kwh you get a potential 320 mile range.

That range is now a game changer. It puts the BEV with enough range to become the only car needed for 99.99% of your driving needs and at least 98% of your yearly mileage. With one QC recharge which you could do during a one hr lunch break, you would have a 500 mile driving day with a reserve. While that is not my max cross country daily range of 1,000 (16 hr driving day) it should be enough. I'm getting too old for those 16 hr days, but there isn't anthing between Alb NM and Flag AZ on I-40. So my trip from Dallas TX to San Fran CA has that 1000 mile day from Dallas to Flag. My first day drive is less, Warner Robins GA to Dallas Tx, 800 to 900 miles, and the third day is the shortest, Flag AZ to San Fran CA. I'm even getting too old for that anymore. Now days even with all the pain of current Airlines, I'ld still rather drive to Atlanta and fly to CA. Rent a car in San Fran and put on the other 2% of my yearly driving needs.

By the way, the cost for renting a car is not just the 40/day for the car, but also the cost of the gas needed to drive the car.

chenyj said:
N952JL said:
chenyj said:

The charging station will inform the vehicle the maximum current that the vehicle can draw from the charging station. The vehicle does NOT ask for maximum current in level 2 standard. In Level 3 charging, the vehicle will ask for constant current level. So just make sure the charging station or outlet can supply sufficient current for both chargers. We tested the kit and there is no issue with that.

Reference:http://www.park-charge.ch/documents/EV-infrastructure%20project.pdf

We don't accept fast DC charging for the auxiliary pack.

So the L-3 DC QC chargers going in will only charge the OEM pack, not the depleted aux pack. Correct??

N952JL said:
this gives me hope for the future. GM CEO recently talked about a new battery in the testing stage which might be out in 3 years. It boost the battery to 400+kwh/g while the current leaf is somewhere around 100kwh/g.

Our aux pack can use any advanced batteries as they come out. You don't need to replace the OEM traction pack.

Back