Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the reply I received from Art James via email regarding my query about the Newport quick charger: (and I appreciate his quick response)

Jim -

The note below is from our contractor. Sorry if this doesn't correspond with your travel plans. Our contract requires all of the TIGER II installations to be completed by the end of December.
Thanks for your interest.

Art James

Senior Project Executive
Office of Innovative Partnerships
Oregon Department of Transportation
Website: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/OIPP/inn_ev-charging.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello Art,

This site has been plagued by many delays outside our control. Presently, we are still waiting for the utility company to perform the work. Sorry, I do not know when it will be placed in operational status.

Michael

gsleaf said:
One of my main issues is it sounds like the EVSE doesn't work if the internet is down at all.
I don't believe that is the case - while I had lots of problems initially with the thing not phoning home and the wireless eventually crapped out entirely, I've never had problems charging with it in the year and a half I've had it...

useopenid said:
gsleaf said:
One of my main issues is it sounds like the EVSE doesn't work if the internet is down at all.
I don't believe that is the case - while I had lots of problems initially with the thing not phoning home and the wireless eventually crapped out entirely, I've never had problems charging with it in the year and a half I've had it...

Yeah, I did some additional research and found that it should charge properly even if it can't phone home, so I'm probably going to get one.

We just received a bid to have a charger installed through Ecotality. They wanted $1250 to do the install, then we get the $400 rebate I believe. This sounds high to me. We have a newer home and we do not think it should be this much. I called Ecotality to get a second bid. How much are others paying in the area? Do we have any other option? Thanks.

MassiveGlacier said:
We just received a bid to have a charger installed through Ecotality. They wanted $1250 to do the install, then we get the $400 rebate I believe.
If that includes the cost of the charging station, it's not terribly outrageous. If it's just the install and the station can be installed near the the breaker panel, then it is. You might see if you can still get in on the EV Project and get it for free...

MassiveGlacier said:
We just received a bid to have a charger installed through Ecotality. They wanted $1250 to do the install, then we get the $400 rebate I believe. This sounds high to me. We have a newer home and we do not think it should be this much. I called Ecotality to get a second bid. How much are others paying in the area? Do we have any other option? Thanks.
Are you receiving the charger as part of "The EV Project"? If so, you'll receive a $1,100 credit on installation and the EVSE will be free. Since you reference a $400 rebate, it sounds like this would not be part of The EV Project and if the $1,250 includes the EVSE and installation it would be a fair price.

That price includes the Blink charger under the Ecotality agreement, so they still own the charger. I only read a maximum of $400 towards the install, and the difference is up to us. In this case about $850. Are most people satisfied with this setup? We are leasing for two years to see is we can make this car work for us.

MassiveGlacier said:
That price includes the Blink charger under the Ecotality agreement, so they still own the charger. I only read a maximum of $400 towards the install, and the difference is up to us. In this case about $850. Are most people satisfied with this setup? We are leasing for two years to see is we can make this car work for us.
My Blink has been rock solid since it was installed March 2011. No complaints here.

Today, I did a downtown Portland to Bonneville Dam round trip. Left downtown at 100% around 8:00 am and reached Bonneville dam after 40 miles with 6 bars left 4.8 average. I had the cruise control set at 55 mph all the time, outside temp 53, no or calm wind. Coming back my average dropped to 4.6 m/kwh overall (so about 4.4 for the return trip). Temperature outside was around 80 and there was some wind. I did use air conditioning 80% of the time coming back.
I was down to one bar, so I decided to exit at 42nd and charge at Hollywood Fred Meyer. I got the LBW while on Sandy at 76 miles from the start of the trip, I believe the GOM said about 8 miles. The Blink charger said that I was at 22%. Over all I am happy with the performance after 15 months and 22000 miles :D .

How accurate is the Blink QC charger on displaying the level of charge? Was I really at 22%?

Camasleaf,

The Blink QCs are not accurate. I am driving from Hood River (Odell 700') to Portland and back about twice a month. This is 70 miles each way. I drive it at 55 mph or more, but generally get about 4.6 m/kwh (summer) to 4.2 m/kwh (winter) average. After 22,000 miles, my LBW turns on right before Electric Ave. and right about when I get home, which is the same as when I bought it 15 months ago. I think I have 3 k/wh after my LBW comes on, so I just reset my m/kwh average and odometer and adjust if I need to.

javan said:
Does anyone know about what is happening about the quick charge station in Newport? Plugshare says it wasn't powered up as of 8/11/12 but I haven't been able to find any other info on it. Thanks, Jim (planning Oregon trip from NorCal).

I received this today:

Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 09:13 AM
To:
Cc:
Subject: Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

Good Morning All,

The line crew work is complete on the Newport and Yachats Electric Vehicle Charging Stations. Ben Spurlock, Project Manager will be at both sites today finishing up his site work. Bill Campbell, NW Regional Contractor Manager with Aerovironment will be at the sites toward the end of this week to final his inspection and activate both sites. I’ll be notified when Bill is scheduled.

The Florence site has to have soil contamination tests done before that site is approved for construction.

Enjoy your day,

Barry Anderson

Senior Distribution Engineering Tech

Central Lincoln PU

Received this today from Fort Dalles Nissan at 2400 W 6th St, The Dalles, OR 97058:
We Have A Charging station here at the dealership and we charged a rate of 3.00 per hour.
I think this is a decent reason to boycott this dealership. Nope, sorry, I'm not going to spend more than the price of gas for the opportunity to spend 6 hours waiting around. If I ever travel through there it will be with an ICE or without stopping for a charge.

Edit: Well, if their charging station is DCQC, then yes, I'll spend $3/hr.

Reddy

javan said:
Does anyone know about what is happening about the quick charge station in Newport? Plugshare says it wasn't powered up as of 8/11/12 but I haven't been able to find any other info on it. Thanks, Jim (planning Oregon trip from NorCal).

I got this email today:

ODOT, AeroVironment, Columbia Willamette Clean Cities Coalition, the City of Newberg, and the Chehalem Valley Chamber of Commerce welcome you to an event on November 8th at 10 a.m. at the recently-commissioned Newberg fast-charging station.

Event details are included in the attached flyer, including how to register to the event. We also ask that anyone who is planning on driving an EV take the survey using the link on the flyer so that we have an accurate count for the event.

We hope that you can join the celebration of the halfway point for ODOT's next phase of the West Coast Electric Highway Development, opening up EV travel to the Coast, Gorge, and beyond!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions at my cell phone number listed below.

Best,

Ashley

The flyer for the event is here: http://t.co/uGB4AHcn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the Cascade Locks going to be turned on at the same time?

Also, I was told by a friend that a Blink DCQC is being installed at the Fred Meyer at Grand Central (close to 14 and I5 interchange). I will try to stop by this weekend and take some pictures.

Reddy said:
Received this today from Fort Dalles Nissan at 2400 W 6th St, The Dalles, OR 97058:
We Have A Charging station here at the dealership and we charged a rate of 3.00 per hour.
I think this is a decent reason to boycott this dealership. Nope, sorry, I'm not going to spend more than the price of gas for the opportunity to spend 6 hours waiting around. If I ever travel through there it will be with an ICE or without stopping for a charge.

Edit: Well, if their charging station is DCQC, then yes, I'll spend $3/hr.

Reddy

Nope, they only have one L2. I work in The Dalles and residents there pay .08 K/wh because of The Dalles dam. I tried to give that dealership an opportunity to get my business when purchasing, but they did not even respond to my request. A salesman there later told me this Ford/Nissan dealership does not like selling Nissans because they are too reliable, not enough repairs, and people keep them for too many year. I use friends dryer outlets but mainly trickle charge while there at work. Even plugging L1 for 9 hours in The Dalles only costs me a dollar total.

..Gorge:
Thanks for the info. I was looking into a future EV vacation trip, but Tri-Cities to Portland won't be possible without some significant help. I suggested to ODOT that they skip over The Dalles with the DCQC and put one in Biggs instead since it's 40 miles from Hood River. Without those and an upgraded L1 EVSE, I won't even try. I'll just have to keep my tourist $$$ within 40 miles of home.

Reddy

Reddy said:
I suggested to ODOT that they skip over The Dalles with the DCQC and put one in Biggs instead since it's 40 miles from Hood River.
Biggs, Arlington and Boardman would make it comfortable to get to my parents' in Stanfield...

Reddy:
I emailed Burgerville to thank them for the QC and L2 in Portland and suggested they install a QC at their location in The Dalles, even though they do go on the BLINK a lot. LePage park, Deshutes River Park, and Rufus RV may all have 240v service. The adapters and EVSEupgrade are all I use unless I am at a public EVSE. Biggs would be also great, as I could then travel to Maryhill musuem.

Thanks for the info. Here's what I've found so far:
$5 day charge for EV charging at Crow Butte State Park (WA side)
$8 charge for EV charging at Rufus RV (20, 30, and 50 Amp available).
$3/hr Fort Dalles Nissan
No response back yet from Boardman RV Park

useopenid said:
Reddy said:
I suggested to ODOT that they skip over The Dalles with the DCQC and put one in Biggs instead since it's 40 miles from Hood River.
Biggs, Arlington and Boardman would make it comfortable to get to my parents' in Stanfield...
It will be a loooong time before we see a QC in Arlington and Boardman. I think we'll be lucky to see even one east of The Dalles. I think there have only been 15 or so Leafs sold over here.

Back