Pollen Car Ready for Delivery, But Bumper Repainted

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cant tell without looking.
check it out.

I bought a Volvo a few years ago -- New, but it had a damage spot to the paint on the left front quarter.
They offered to repaint the quarter panel. I passed, as factory paint is always better, in my experience.
I touched up the four blemishes. The car and paint lasted very well.

And I give Nissan + marks for honesty and service on this. They are not pushing or keeping silent about a a quality issue.

Per MOGUR--I see now that the heroes here are not Nissan. Thanks for the input!!!!!!!

Maybe they will offer a discount. You should ask--after you see it.
"Oh, that is much worse than I thought it would be. How could I take a car like that without a discount?"

thankyouOB said:
And I give Nissan + marks for honesty and service on this. They are not pushing or keeping silent about a a quality issue.
Maybe they will offer a discount. You should ask--after you see it.
"Oh, that is much worse than I thought it would be. How could I take a car like that without a discount?"
While I am pleased that Nissan corporate got another car quickly, it was really Fontana Nissan that was right up front that they had noticed the paint color on the bumper that didn't match. So, they saved me a 130 mile round trip drive and likely being pretty pissed off when my "new" car didn't look completely new. Smart of them, and really putting the customer first! They also told me that Nissan corporate would not agree to a discount on the car--they tried to arrange that for another pollen car and in spite of efforts it was a complete no go. So my decision was simple--accept the car and continue to feel that it wasn't right, or risk losing the full CA rebate. I decided on the latter course, and fortunately it worked out well.

Actually, I'd have to argue that point. After all, it was Nissan that shipped the damaged car to the dealer, apparently expecting them to take it and pass it on to the buyer. So, Nissan didn't step up to the plate at all on this one, it was the dealer - Fontana Nissan - that did the right thing and forced the issue.

thankyouOB said:

mogur said:
Actually, I'd have to argue that point. After all, it was Nissan that shipped the damaged car to the dealer, apparently expecting them to take it and pass it on to the buyer. So, Nissan didn't step up to the plate at all on this one, it was the dealer - Fontana Nissan - that did the right thing and forced the issue.

thankyouOB said:
The interesting part will whether the car gets sent to another dealer for another try.

Agreed!
thanks for the good catch, Mogur. I missed the hero here.

mogur said:

thankyouOB said:

Very interesting. I wonder how to properly tell if ones car is a "pollen" car. Mine has been delayed at the port for nearly 3 months but no one has tried the pollen line on me yet. I asked the "Nissan Escalations" lady today and she hadn't heard of the pollen issue.

If your car has been in LB for two+ months I would really check over the paint. Mine was there for two months and it is really water-spotted. The clear coat has definetely been comprimized. I am not sure what happened but the paint seems like it is really old. It is difficult to wax and scratches very easily.

downeykp said:
If your car has been in LB for two+ months I would really check over the paint. Mine was there for two months and it is really water-spotted. The clear coat has definetely been comprimized. I am not sure what happened but the paint seems like it is really old. It is difficult to wax and scratches very easily.

:( We are in a very difficult spot though. Either take the car the as is or reject it and take a gamble as to when a replacement will be available :/

downeykp said:

Mine must be one of the exceptions because Brian of CS told me that my car wasn't one of the 200 pollen cars, yet it has been in LB for over 2 months.

Stoaty said:
Thanks for all replies. I decided I didn't want to drive 130 miles to check out the color difference. When I told the dealer my decision, he said he pretty much expected the car would be sent back. That indicates to me that the difference is obvious enough he didn't think I would accept it. It isn't just the color difference, but the fact that I have no idea what other damage may have been done, and when it might show up. Nissan CS also told me a completely different story ("using a special process that will gently release the pollen without damaging the paint or finish") than I am getting from the dealer, who indicated the problem (in general, not necessarily on my particular Leaf) was much more significant than I had been led to believe. With that kind of uncertainty, I think it is a good possibility I would regret taking delivery of this particular Leaf. I feel more comfortable gambling on the possible loss of the full CA rebate--I will still qualify for the lesser amount, of course--than accepting this car with unknown amount of damage/repair.
I really don't care if the color matches or not. I DO care VERY MUCH if the car is damaged in a way that the finish will degrade more quickly than an undamaged car would, and the LIES that we've been told about how the cars would be "as good as new" are of a deeper and far more dishonorable character when they are trying to sell DAMAGED cars to unsuspecting buyers.

I've been wondering out loud if the long delay in port would result in my getting a damaged car (see my thread asking when a new car becomes a used car) and now, thanks to your report and your honest dealer, we learn that the pollen cars ARE DAMAGED cars.

evnow said:
Stoaty said:
Just got a call from Richard at Fontana Nissan. They have a new VIN for me, and it is in the high 3000's, so definitely not a pollen car. Expected to be at the dealer by Friday. Every single interaction I have had with them has been very positive. A big thanks to Fontana Nissan for stepping up and getting this problem resolved quickly.
So, looks like Nissan has a bunch of unassigned cars as replacements ?

Come to think of that - that is a good idea. They should have done that from the beginning ... afterall they have just 3/4 variations of cars coming from Japan (+ the colors).
But they were unable to give us reassigned cars as soon as they discovered the pollen damage??? They decided to try to foist the DAMAGED cars off on us first, after making us wait an extra two months.

Stoaty: THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR POSTING ABOUT THIS! I will definitely not be accepting a pollen car. Unless maybe they want to sell it to me as a damaged car for half the MSRP. Which is unlikely, because they'll be able to find someone who does not read this board and is unaware of the pollen issue. But if they do not mark these cars as "damaged" and sell them at a deep discount accordingly, then they are CROOKS!

LEAFfan said:
downeykp said:

Mine must be one of the exceptions because Brian of CS told me that my car wasn't one of the 200 pollen cars, yet it has been in LB for over 2 months.
And you believed him? :lol: :lol: :lol:

avanti5010 said:
1. Bumpers on all cars, not only Nissans can have a slight difference in appearance than the body. A lot of that is due to the material used on the bumpers and the light source. Sometimes they match exactly, but when the direction of the light changes, the color may not be 100% the same as the body.
Yep - also plastic body parts like bumpers also have flex agent added to the paint so that it doesn't chip when flexed. This can also affect the color match, too. Look around at a lot of cars closely - you'll notice quite a few have slightly different colored bumpers.

daniel said:
LEAFfan said:
downeykp said:

And you believed him? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not really because earlier I was told that it was a pollen car and that's why the long delay. But I should know when I get the car if it looks good or not.

Again, I'm not much concerned with what it looks like. But it sounds like they may have used something pretty harsh to remove the pollen, and if that took off the clear coat and maybe the paint, and then they repainted, and any moisture got in, the car could rust earlier. And when it comes time to sell the car, the VIN will likely tell that it was damaged and re-painted, and that could affect resale value.

In any case, it's a car that was damaged and repaired. Legally, it's still a new car. But, sheesh, it's been through the wringer and they've got a lot of nerve charging new-car price for it. If some of them were re-finished so badly that dealers are sending them back, there could still be damage on the others that does not show, but results in premature aging of the body.

If it was Toyota, I'd probably trust them. If it was Honda I would trust them. A year ago, I'd have trusted Nissan; but during this year they've shown us their true colors, and I'm not trusting them any more. Too many lies. They've worn out their credibility.

downeykp said:
cdub, I would check it over real good in different lights and angles.

It's good. It's a Fontana car... Alex has been checking them out... and I'm sure Alex is the one who told Stoaty about his problem. He said there was no problem with mine.

With all the crap that Toyota pulled recently on many fronts, and Honda's stone-walling on their hybrid battery problems, leading the California ARB to threaten a lawsuit, I'd not trust either of them these days...

daniel said:
If it was Toyota, I'd probably trust them. If it was Honda I would trust them. A year ago, I'd have trusted Nissan; but during this year they've shown us their true colors, and I'm not trusting them any more. Too many lies. They've worn out their credibility.

daniel said:
Again, I'm not much concerned with what it looks like. But it sounds like they may have used something pretty harsh to remove the pollen, and if that took off the clear coat and maybe the paint, and then they repainted, and any moisture got in, the car could rust earlier. And when it comes time to sell the car, the VIN will likely tell that it was damaged and re-painted, and that could affect resale value.
Given your qualms about the car I'm very surprised you're buying and not leasing. Leasing takes care of many issues, including the one you've raised here.

I have a good friend who got a "pollen" car. I looked closely at it and didn't see any issues with the finish. Looked fine. A little bit of dirt/yellow stuff under the hinges of the hatch but that was it. She's also leasing so for her the pollen, if that is what it was, is a non-event.

Back