Poll : Would you buy Leaf with a Range Extender option ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If Leaf had a range extender option, would you get it ?

• Yes !

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • Probably

Votes: 23 16.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Probably Not

Votes: 39 27.1%
  • No way !

Votes: 33 22.9%

• Total voters
I like the BEV. If the leaf had the range of the 85kWh S and it's charging network I wouldn't need a range extender. To make the leaf a real contender we need to be able to drive 500 mikes in one day. Right now I like a micro jet genset mounted on a platform that would go into a receiver, at the end of the Leaf or other BEV. Look up Blandom jets in England.

:D

edatoakrun said:
Yes I certainly would, if it were engineered correctly, meeting all three of the objectives below.

Unfortunately, IMO none of the PHEVs or BEVxs currently planned for production come even close to meeting these goals.

...In fact, a true ICE ”range extender” for a BEV is not a bad Idea, It's just that current designs are all abysmal failures, from the point of energy efficiency and driver utility. Putting an ICE drivetrain in an EV, whether in series, parallel, or any other hybrid configuration, is not advisable, IMO. Invariably, you will get an overweight, overpriced, underperforming vehicle, like the Volt. It seems almost as ridiculous, to install an extremely expensive and heavy large battery pack (like the Tesla S long-range options) which is only occasionally required by the BEV driver.

A functional range extender would consist of:

A small displacement (200-600 CC) ICE generator, run at highest-efficiency rpm, to recharge the battery pack. (You would start the ICE generator during your trip, as soon as your battery capacity drops to a level to efficiently accept a charge.) Generator output would not be sufficient to drive the vehicle, just enough to extend the battery pack range to the next convenient recharge location.

It would not run on gasoline, but a less polluting, and more stable fuel, such as propane (easier refueling) or CNG (lower cost). 5 gallons of Propane, for example, would probably offer about 200 miles of range extension for a LEAF-sized BEV.

The fuel would also be available to a combustion cabin heater, the one use for which battery energy storage is particularly inefficient.

I think this could be integrated into the design of BEVs (and maybe even as a portable unit, and available for rent, as many have fantasized) at lower cost, and lower weight, than the huge battery packs some BEV manufactures seem to think are advisable...

+1

The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:50 am

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i said probably not and because there/will be other options.

1) the range of the LEAF is fine...95% of the time.

2) switch cars if I need to. have to have 2 cars anyway.

3) Extra range is nice. an extra $$ on the monthly payment is not. it really comes down to whether you got the money to pay for range you will use 3% (not 5%!) of the time

other options; Nissan has a program for recent purchasers that allows them X free rental days a year if they get a LEAF. so now the LEAF (indirectly) covers 98% (95% directly) of your driving need

so it comes down to how much to pay for that 2%? Quick charging will help but still wont provide a 100% solution but the "inconvenience" is getting smaller, the costs are dropping and the infrastructure is getting bigger.

any range extender option would have to be a lease/rental basis which means near "Better Place-like" start up costs for an effective system which in turn means, its years away from a lot of people and will have spotty weak coverage in the best of areas for a while. A reservation system would help lessen the start up costs but removes the spontaneity of just "going" or allowing for unexpected twists of life.

All this is really geared towards increasing the role of the LEAF in one's transportation need and i dont think that is going to happen for at least 2-3 more years. right now, its fine for the 95%

If the range extension were more kWh of battery capacity I would pay more. Not for anything that burns fossil fuels.

If Nissan optioned a bigger battery and called it an extender, yea, I'd be all over that. I'd LOVE to have just an extra 35 miles. It'd make all the difference in the world for an extra 20% of my drives.

TonyWilliams said:
mirko said:
If the range extension were more kWh of battery capacity I would pay more. Not for anything that burns fossil fuels.

Nissan plans to offer that, much like Tesla does.

This is the first time I've read a claim that Nissan has plans for this. Could you provide more information, or maybe a source?

TonyWilliams said:
mirko said:

That is the best news I have heard all day. When you look at how many LEAF drivers are upgrading to a Tesla, it would make sense for Nissan to offer a larger pack option.

GetOffYourGas said:
TonyWilliams said:
mirko said:

This is the first time I've read a claim that Nissan has plans for this. Could you provide more information, or maybe a source?

Source: direct first hand conversation with Nissan's number two guy.

Specifically mentioned were both different packs sizes and a trunk mount "add-on" pack.

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
Specifically mentioned were both different packs sizes and a trunk mount "add-on" pack.
Did he hint at their timeline?

We covered a lot of stuff fast, so, no timeline. I would guess next year, though.

He also mentioned that he'd been having regular meetings with one Mr. Elon Musk, if that tells you anything.

TonyWilliams said:
He also mentioned that he'd been having regular meetings with one Mr. Elon Musk, if that tells you anything.
Interesting! Well, if that isn't good news, then I wouldn't know what would be. Was this during your conversation in Phoenix?

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
Did he hint at their timeline?

We covered a lot of stuff fast, so, no timeline. I would guess next year, though.

LIKE!

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
Interesting! Well, if that isn't good news, then I wouldn't know what would be. Was this during your conversation in Phoenix?

Ya know, I wouldn't read to much into it. Probably business and social.

Elon says, "Hey, Andy, I was right on your batteries in Phoenix, right? Now, where's that bottle of Opus 1 you owe me?"

Andy says, "Yes, we should have listened, but I'm a thermodynamics guy... we tested this ****. Here's the bottle I got at duty free on the flight over here. Look, I also brought you a LEAF model."

Elon says, "Awesome. I'll give it to my kids to feed to their Godzilla doll. Did I tell you, we've got 18,000 people that want our non-discounted, no lease available, only on the market since June, $100k car. How's that LEAF selling?

Andy says, "You racist bastard. Hey, that reminds me, how about we build a Tesla/Infinti sport coup / convertible together? You sell it as a Tesla Roadster II and we sell it as a Infinit G99?"

Elon says, "Let me guess? Putting a LEAF battery in your upcoming Infinti is getting some push back?"

Andy says, " Unless we can find folks to buy it who've never heard of the Internet, it's not looking good."

Elon says, "Won't that upset Toyota and Daimler if we take on your project?"

Andy says, "No way! They all know you're a car slut who will build anything for anybody."

Elon says, "Fair point. Hey, do you have a sister?"

Andy says, "Yes, I do, but she wisely doesn't like car guys. If you build us a car she likes, I'll hook you up."

Elon, "Woo Hoo"

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:

Ya know, I wouldn't read to much into it. Probably business and social.

Elon says, "Hey, Andy, I was right on your batteries in Phoenix, right? Now, where's that bottle of Opus 1 you owe me?"

Andy says, "Yes, we should have listened, but I'm a thermodynamics guy... we tested this ****. Here's the bottle I got at duty free on the flight over here. Look, I also brought you a LEAF model."

Elon says, "Awesome. I'll give it to my kids to feed to their Godzilla doll. Did I tell you, we've got 18,000 people that want our non-discounted, no lease available, only on the market since June, $100k car. How's that LEAF selling?

Andy says, "You racist bastard. Hey, that reminds me, how about we build a Tesla/Infinti sport coup / convertible together? You sell it as a Tesla Roadster II and we sell it as a Infinit G99?"

Elon says, "Let me guess? Putting a LEAF battery in your upcoming Infinti is getting some push back?"

Andy says, " Unless we can find folks to buy it who've never heard of the Internet, it's not looking good."

Elon says, "Won't that upset Toyota and Daimler if we take on your project?"

Andy says, "No way! They all know you're a car slut who will build anything for anybody."

Elon says, "Fair point. Hey, do you have a sister?"

Andy says, "Yes, I do, but she wisely doesn't like car guys. If you build us a car she likes, I'll hook you up."

Elon, "Woo Hoo"

Nice!

Well, I have to take everything with a grain of salt until I see it in the show room. But I sure would love to see the option to up-size the Leaf's battery.

GRA said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thank, you, thank you, thank you!
+1

The funny thing is, it might not be too far from reality. Elon just offered to help Boeing with their battery problem via Twitter.

troubleshootmnl

Click to open

GetOffYourGas said:
Nice!

Well, I have to take everything with a grain of salt until I see it in the show room. But I sure would love to see the option to up-size the Leaf's battery.
It'll be availabe soon. Just a week after the 3k to 6k on board charger upgrade comes out.
:twisted:

hill said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Nice!

It'll be availabe soon. Just a week after the 3k to 6k on board charger upgrade comes out.
:twisted:

Given that I was talking about upgrading a NEW leaf, and not an existing one, that would mean mid-february! :D

surfingslovak said:
GRA said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thank, you, thank you, thank you!
+1

The funny thing is, it might not be too far from reality. Elon just offered to help Boeing with their battery problem via Twitter.

troubleshootmnl
And it's not just Toyota and Boeing.
SolarCity is making the latest advancements in battery technologies available to you through our partnership with Tesla Motors. Only SolarCity's home backup system uses technology engineered by Tesla, leveraging their expertise in developing battery technologies for premium electric vehicles.
Tesla's long history of research and development has enabled a cost-effective, wall-mounted storage appliance that is small, powerful and covered by a long lasting full 10 year warranty.
The actual battery unit is about the size of a solar power inverter, and will be mounted on the wall in your garage, or outside your home near your electrical panel.
The more Tesla battery systems are used, the more resources can be put into energy storage device R&D, the more we should all benefit.
http://www.solarcity.com/residential/energy-storage.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back