outdoor charging option?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnrhansen said:
doing the math: 5.1 KW for one hour nets you 55 miles distance that's 10.78 miles per KWH! At that speed, I usually get about 4.3 miles per KWH. That's about 13 KW used...
Gah! Went too fast. I was looking at the kmh chart, 55kmh is about 5.1kW. 55mph is about 12.8kW.

This just makes the AC an even lower % usage.

For the OP, since you're on L1 (120V) charging at home for the time being, I would suggest just disabling all charge timers. L1 charging is so slow, you want the vehicle to charge any time it's plugged in. If you switch to L2 charging at home, then you might start playing with the charging timers.

The added benefit of disabling charging timers is that you don't need to do anything special when you top off during the day at the L2 station nearby work...

mctom987 must have meant 55MPH on a slight decline.[/quote]

I got about that energy economy once.. on this trip...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Wild+Horse+Renewable+Energy+Center,+Vantage+Hwy,+Ellensburg,+WA&daddr=I-90+E+to:W+3rd+Ave,+Moses+Lake,+WA&hl=en&sll=47.032506,-119.747952&sspn=0.525097,1.352692&geocode=FQpazQIdwt7V-CHrbtfR1IHiZSn5KBhNXJCZVDHrbtfR1IHiZQ%3BFYYkzQIdrlfZ-A%3BFbUVzwIdF9Xj-Cn7QDILsjiZVDHZJ64Z2R1fsw&oq=3rd+%26&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=10&t=m&z=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my charge was the same at point b, as it was at the origin point a.

I also had a nice, stiff tailwind!

swaltner said:
For the OP, since you're on L1 (120V) charging at home for the time being, I would suggest just disabling all charge timers. L1 charging is so slow, you want the vehicle to charge any time it's plugged in. If you switch to L2 charging at home, then you might start playing with the charging timers.

The added benefit of disabling charging timers is that you don't need to do anything special when you top off during the day at the L2 station nearby work...

I agree that it is slower, there are a couple L2 chargers that are free very close to me where i can stop for a coffee and charge for now. the L1 said 11.5 hours to charge last night but ended up doing it in 6.75 hours! I program it for 7pm to 7am as it is only 0.075 cents/kw at that time.

What about mounting the EVSE inside and putting a female J1772 outlet on the outside of the house (then use European style J1772 male-male cable for charging)?

Back