New leaf 2021 owner (charger type, charging, mobile app)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chek

Hi all.
Just got 2021 Leaf SV (imported from USA) in Canada.
Got several questions that can't find quick answers:
1) my leaf came with Vevor charger (EVS01, 16 A, 240 V) - is it level 1 or level 2 charger?
2) my assumption was that it is level 1, and based on nissan website - it should take 60 h to charge bater fully. I got mine charged from 34% to 94% overnight - which is too fast for level 1 charger and probably too slow for level 2. Do I have an issue with the battery?
3) I can't add car to the mobile app. Called Nissan support and they say that I can't do it since car is from the USA and I am in Canada. Any solutions for this?

Thanks!

16A at 240V is Level 2.

16 x 240 = 3840 watts.
So 3.8KW

By the way, the maximum charge rate is about 27A at 240

I think you will find that you can charge your new car much faster than you are thinking.

1. Thats a L2 as it's 240v but at 16a it's about 1/2 the max 27.5A as your Leaf is capable of, but a heck of a lot better than 12A @ 120v which is what a OEM Leaf EVSE maxes out at.
2. I don't believe so but I'll let someone more familiar with apps and CA answer you.

My 2018 came with an OEM portable EVSE that is both 240V/120V.
So Level 1 or 2 capable.

I imagine the Nissan Connect App issue in Canada is that the car is equipped with a 4G Sim for an American carrier? (AT&T or Verizon)

I wonder if that could be swapped out with a Canadian TCU from another Leaf?

I think the cutoff is somewhere around 150 volts, below that it is Level 1 and above Level 2. Since most of the world has power in the 100-130 volt and 200 - 240 volt range anything in the 200+ range is level 2.
How much current at level 2 is another question. With the Leaf, it came with either a 3.3 or 6.6 Kw charger. 16 amps @240volts is still faster than level one and close to max for a 3.3 OBC of an early Leaf. I often charge mine at 20 amp input and it charges quickly. I only have a 24Kwh pack however.
Plenty of aftermarket EVSE's to choose from to take full advantage of the 6.6 Kw charger if you choose to.

Thanks all for the answers.
So if my charger is level 2 - is it ok that battery did not get charged to 100% in 12 hours? Taking into account numbers - it should have been 100%.

Another question - does epedal help with Battery or it is more of a fun/preference thing?

I understand that it saves brakes during slow down and generates some energy, though it is hard to believe that it is better opposed to the normal car insertion when epedal is not engaged.

16A at 240V is Level 2.

16 x 240 = 3840 watts.
So 3.8KW

By the way, the maximum charge rate is about 27A at 240

I think you will find that you can charge your new car much faster than you are thinking.
It’s an unusually weak lv2 though. The more common one where I am (Minnesota) is 30a. It’ll work fine though. 15a 110v (so a regular house socket) works fine for my 2019 sv with the 40kw battery. I dunno how fast it will charge. My 12a@110v fills my car 0-100% in like 37 hours in theory in the summer. I didn’t time it though. It was generally just “full in the morning”. I don’t know if it goes faster in the winter or not. A 30a stage2 is supposed to fill my car in 8hrs. So somewhere between 37 and 8. Dunno where though. You could probably do the math and figure it out. Temperature may make it faster since as it gets cold the capacity of the batteries goes down. I have 143mi vs 100mi when it’s below zero f°

Last edited:
What does the plug look like? Is it a standard household plug, which is a Nema 5-15? You probably have the slightly faster 120VAC charging cable. I have two charging cables. The OE Nissan Leaf cable, which fills the battery at 3.3% an hour, and another cable which fills the battery at 4.6% an hour. In your case at 4.6% an hour 60% would take 13 hours.

Even though it isn't much, that little extra that the faster cable charges at is enough so I don't need to get Level 2 charging installed.

Mine came with my car and appears to be OEM. It’s got two plugs. Sort of. There’s a 240v with. 120v that fits over it

Back