Official Toyota Prius PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other problem, assuming that this Prius follows the mold of it's predecessors, is that it is simply the most boring and soul-less car I have ever driven... A personal assessment obviously, but vehicles are not all about quantitative decisions...

adric22 said:
For your usage, makes no sense. For mine, it sure would. My commute is about 10 miles per day. I could use a Prius PHV just like I do my Leaf, only I could go on longer trips too. In fact, had the Prius PHV been available, I might have chosen it over the Leaf.

mogur said:
The other problem, assuming that this Prius follows the mold of it's predecessors, is that it is simply the most boring and soul-less car I have ever driven... A personal assessment obviously, but vehicles are not all about quantitative decisions...

Well, between my wife and I we have owned a total of 5 Priuses. We love them. My wife still drives a 2010 model. I think they are great looking cars, and I love the interior designs too. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've heard plenty of people say that the Leaf is butt-ugly as well. So there is just no pleasing everyone. So moving to the plug-in version of the Prius would be the natural course for many people.

mogur said:

adric22 said:
For your usage, makes no sense. For mine, it sure would. My commute is about 10 miles per day. I could use a Prius PHV just like I do my Leaf, only I could go on longer trips too. In fact, had the Prius PHV been available, I might have chosen it over the Leaf.

I have a 2010 Prius model 5 (V), it has 17" wheels with low profile tires, heated seats, DRCC (Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, basiclly "following radar", it speeds up or slows down based on the distance of the car in front of you in cruise control), it can "park itself" (IPA), also has "LKA" (Lane Keep Assit), the car "nudges" the sterring wheel if you drift out of your lane... and I think it looks damn good in Metallic Blue.. its my third Prius and generation as well (2002 Gen1, 2004 Gen2, 2010 Gen3).

My next car is going to be the 2012 PHEV. Pure EV's will not do all that well and are not that well suited to the Northeasts environment, although they may work for some people, it won't for this person (me).

There are also rumors that the PHEV is going to have a 5.2KW pack (1 single pack), and regen may be allowed when in EV, that may stretch the range to about 15 miles, its rumnored. It's also rumored the driver will be able to choose WHEN to use EV, so you will be able to "turn it on and off", and use those miles at slow speed, or when you know you will get maximum benefit from them.

Yes, the Federal tax credit is "only" going to be $3,000 with that sized pack, but the car is also going to cost less than the Leaf, far less (rumored 28-30K pre-rebate)

Its also said with the increased regen capabilities, the car gets about 60-65mpg now on average. However you look at it, you do benefit from the EV miles, for more than just those 13-15 miles of EV.

When can we preorder. I signed up a long time ago and have only received a few info emails. Curious when they will start to let us put down deposits.

palmermd said:
When can we preorder. I signed up a long time ago and have only received a few info emails. Curious when they will start to let us put down deposits.

about 3 weeks from now, its rumored :)

mogur said:

"That is not a car, it's a lunchbox!"

mitch672 said:
There are also rumors that the PHEV is going to have a 5.2KW pack (1 single pack), and regen may be allowed when in EV, that may stretch the range to about 15 miles, its rumnored. It's also rumored the driver will be able to choose WHEN to use EV, so you will be able to "turn it on and off", and use those miles at slow speed, or when you know you will get maximum benefit from them.

Those are all new developments to me, and make the car much more attractive. If you come across any discussions about these features - can you please post?

+1!

LakeLeaf said:
mogur said:
The other problem, assuming that this Prius follows the mold of it's predecessors, is that it is simply the most boring and soul-less car I have ever driven... It's like driving a toaster! A personal assessment obviously, but vehicles are not all about quantitative decisions...
"That is not a car, it's a lunchbox!"

Wow, a whole two mile increase! Isn't technology grand?! :lol:

mitch672 said:
There are also rumors that the PHEV is going to have a 5.2KW pack (1 single pack), and regen may be allowed when in EV, that may stretch the range to about 15 miles, its rumnored.

mogur said:
Wow, a whole two mile increase! Isn't technology grand?! :lol:

thats not the point, the point is regen will be allowed in the entire pack, meaning the entire EV range could in theory be recharged WHILE the car is being driven, and you can choose WHEN to use those EV miles (EV button)

http://www.consumersearch.com/blog/2012-toyota-prius-phv-to-get-selectable-ev-mode-full-battery-regeneration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://priuschat.com/news/2012-prius-plug-in-allow-user-selectable-ev-mode-full-regen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you "purists" will never "get it", EVs WILL NOT work for every one, under every condition, until they have greater range and/or faster charging. Many do not want 2 cars, with a PHEV you can have the best of both, in a single vehicle.

mitch672 said:
the point is regen will be allowed in the entire pack, meaning the entire EV range could in theory be recharged WHILE the car is being driven
That's a good catch and likely only possible because Toyota will only use about 50% of the rated battery capacity. I this case I'm only guessing, but I doubt that the SOC will ever exceed 80%.

I am anything but a purist. That is why we still have two cars and likely will for quite some time, with only one of them being an EV: The current crop of HEV and PHEV vehicles also do not work for everyone, including us...

mitch672 said:
you "purists" will never "get it", EVs WILL NOT work for every one, under every condition, until they have greater range and/or faster charging.

mogur said:
I am anything but a purist. That is why we still have two cars and likely will for quite some time, with only one of them being an EV: The current crop of HEV and PHEV vehicles also do not work for everyone, including us...

mitch672 said:
you "purists" will never "get it", EVs WILL NOT work for every one, under every condition, until they have greater range and/or faster charging.

Well guess what? The Leaf doesn't work for me. Its a PHEV Prius for me, or keeping my current 2010 Prius. I am an not even considering the Volt any longer, as GM is not really serious about PHEVs/EVs, and never will be, plus they are not to be trusted. Don't be surprised to hear they've abanded the Volt by 2013.

mogur said:
Well, as this is primarily a Leaf forum, that does beg the question of why you are here at all then...

mitch672 said:
Well guess what? The Leaf doesn't work for me.

I still have a reservation, I did test drive it at Suffolk Downs a month ago.

I have always been an "early adopter", but I am not going to be for the Leaf, at least not where I live.

I just feel that with our (New England / Boston) environment, its just not going to be workable here, and for me.

There are other reasons to be here, such as learning about EV chargers and other vehicles. I am probably going to buy an SPX PowerExpress before the end of the year, for the $750, to at least get the %30 credit on that. Wouldn't have learned about that on the PriusChat forum, now would I?

There are going to be more PHV's, than EV's produced lets face it, Toyota has plans to produce 25,000 of them in 2012 (yep, thats more PHEV Priu than Leafs produced at the end of 2012 most likely) Many are not ready to fully commit to electric only. You can either argue with them, or accept them as assiting with the movement towards full EVs, when they mature. Some electrification is better than no electrification.

Toyota is starting test drives of the PHV demonstrators. See http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-phv-plug-in/97302-toyota-prius-plug-in-hybrid-ride-drive-tour.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info.

Hopefully when they come to my area the drives will be a bit longer and at higher speeds.

cwerdna said:
Toyota is starting test drives of the PHV demonstrators. See http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-phv-plug-in/97302-toyota-prius-plug-in-hybrid-ride-drive-tour.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info.

Hopefully when they come to my area the drives will be a bit longer and at higher speeds.

Yes, I drove the Prius PHEV yesterday at "Shoppers World" in Framingham, MA

They have 7 PHEVs, they are the "demonstrators" that have been around for the last 2 years, its not the production model, and they will let you drive a total of about 3/4 to 1 mile, a loop around a Best Buy parking lot most likely, i got mine up to 25mph.. They want to get as many to be able to drive in "EV mode" as possible, thats the reason for the short test drive. On the positive side, they will let you ask them lots of questions, most of which they don't have clear answers for yet. They also give you a $10 Best Buy giftcard, after you answer a survey on a PC post test drive.

LakeLeaf said:
mitch672 said:

Those are all new developments to me, and make the car much more attractive. If you come across any discussions about these features - can you please post?

I cruised around Prius Chat for a while and found some of the references to posting about the single battery pack and the ability to regen it. All sounds very positive.

I did find a late post or two that suggested these might not all be done deals, so it will be interesting to watch.

With a Federal rebate based on battery size, I wonder if Toyota will consider a larger battery option to help maximize the stored electrons per dollar.

LakeLeaf said:
I cruised around Prius Chat for a while and found some of the references to posting about the single battery pack and the ability to regen it. All sounds very positive.

I did find a late post or two that suggested these might not all be done deals, so it will be interesting to watch.

With a Federal rebate based on battery size, I wonder if Toyota will consider a larger battery option to help maximize the stored electrons per dollar.

Well, there is the power/weight/cost argument as well, and how much KW they can physcially fit in the Prius, they have the space of the original battery and the space under the rear deck/spare tire storage (the PHEV is not going to come with a spare tire or a place to put it), also the size of the charger and cabling, etc all gets larger, in theory. Toyota has been testing for a long time, whatever its going to be must be finalized already... we'll see in a few weeks. The third party converters can manage to get 10-12KW in that space, but I wouldn't count on Toyota to go to that extreme. I'm sure we are looking at something similar to the demo PHEVs for total KW.

Back