Official Toyota Prius PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimmydreams said:
mogur said:
Now all we have to do is figure out where that 5 billion (probably more like 10 since they always greatly underestimate the cost of such things) is going to come from in a city that is basically bankrupt...

That's already been figured out: anyone who pays an electric bill.

LADWP will simply raise their rates in the form of a 'infrastructure improvement tarrif' or some such line-item and call it a day.

I wish it was that simple. All rates have to be approved by the city. Ladwp has the lowest rates around. Most of the transmission lines in la city are still using paper insulation around copper and lead wire in downtown. It is pretty sad in places.

Looks like the official press release has just priced the Toyota Prius PHEV today. Only two models being initially offered apparently.

"The base MSRP for the Prius Plug-in Hybrid is $32,000. The Prius Plug-in Hybrid Advanced will have an MSRP of $39,525. Both Prius Plug-in models are expected to qualify for a federal tax credit of approximately $2,500."

Though not a PHEV, the Prius V has also been priced.

"The base MSRP for the Prius v are $26,400 for the Prius v Two model, $27,165 for the Prius v Three, and $29,990 for the Prius v Five. The Prius v will arrive at Toyota
dealerships in late October."

Source: http://green.autoblog.com/2011/09/16/toyota-plug-in-prius-priced-at-32-000-prius-v-starts-at-26-40/#continued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

waitingforaleaf said:
"The base MSRP for the Prius Plug-in Hybrid is $32,000."
Hmm, that's a bit more expensive than I had hoped - quite a bit more than the base Prius.

I kind of want a Prius V PHEV - that would give a bit more room than the current Prius or LEAF, but still plug in...

drees said:
I kind of want a Prius V PHEV - that would give a bit more room than the current Prius or LEAF, but still plug in...
+1 here...we need the added headroom in the rear seats too. Hopefully in the 2013 model year...

sirfergy said:
Does the Toyota PHEV qualify for any tax breaks?

Yes, $2,500.00

However, the 2 models are pricey, $32,000 and $39,500 or so pre-tax credit.

with the credit being so much smaller, and the EV range be so limited, I think most would do better in the Leaf, to tell you the truth. Especially with the high end model (which is similar to the Package 5 2010 Prius I have now).

TRONZ said:
WOW! Thats really expensive for a tiny amount of EV range.
If you get 13 miles of EV range and commute 5 days a week, that is 65 miles EV range per week or about 3,400 EV miles per year. In 10 years you have just 34,000 EV miles. Assuming you save 5 cents per mile (8 cents per mile with regular Prius, gas at $4.00 per gallon and 50 miles per gallon) using electricity instead of gas, that is a savings of $1700 in gas. You still have to pay all the costs to maintain an ICE car. Doesn't sound like a very good deal to me. I would probably go for the regular Prius, which is a real gas sipper anyway.

Stoaty said:
If you get 13 miles of EV range and commute 5 days a week, that is 65 miles EV range per week or about 3,400 EV miles per year. In 10 years you have just 34,000 EV miles. Assuming you save 5 cents per mile (8 cents per mile with regular Prius, gas at $4.00 per gallon and 50 miles per gallon) using electricity instead of gas, that is a savings of $1700 in gas. You still have to pay all the costs to maintain an ICE car. Doesn't sound like a very good deal to me. I would probably go for the regular Prius, which is a real gas sipper anyway.

While I'd agree that the regular Prius makes greater financial sense than the Prius PHEV, I think the base Prius PHEV will still sell well in California, largely due to the upcoming Green HOV lane stickers that will likely be given to the first 40,000 applicants. Considering how I've heard that many orphan LEAF buyers have been willing to pay over MSRP just to have HOV lane access, I'd be willing to bet that the Prius PHEV will be an even hotter sell as there isn't any "range anxiety" to deal with (especially for driver's zooming by at 75 mph+ in the HOV lanes).

From a slightly more selfish stand point, I'm more concerned on how the relatively few public charging stations there are now will be blocked by Prius PHEVs and their puny batteries.

sirfergy said:
It leaves EV mode if you floor it or go above 62, both of which are very common scenarios. :(
Not on my commute. I might floor it a couple times a week - more if I feel frisky.

The 15 mile EV range would even squeak through if I could charge at work...

Herm said:
How much was the Volt again?
Yes, that is interesting. Is the net difference something like $5K after tax credit? For that you get up to three times the electric range in the Volt, and no restriction on electric speed or acceleration. But you also get considerably worse gasoline mileage.

Ray

planet4ever said:
But you also get considerably worse gasoline mileage.

Its not that bad, the Volt gets 40mpg on the hwy once it goes into hybrid mode, considerably better if you slow down.. in any case people seldom need to travel long distances.

How do Leaf owners feel about Plug-in Priuses being parked in the public charge spots?
One way the marketing folks take advantage of the small battery pack is to say that it "charges very quickly" (in other words the little battery gets full fast), but the way the CA parking laws are being redone, a vehicle only need be plugged in to be allowed to stay indefinitely.

pip-ev-or-not.jpg

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1366&doc_id=233004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something with a "13-15 mile electric range" (as the latest blurb I just got from Toyota touts), isn't an electric car in any sense in my book. I suspect that many of them will never even GET plugged in... I think that the state should have set a minimum electric range to qualify for the green stickers for PHEVs just as they set a minimum mpg to qualify for the yellow ones for hybrids... So, now you how *I* feel about the subject...

TEG said:
How do Leaf owners feel about Plug-in Priuses being parked in the public charge spots?

TomT said:
I suspect that many of them will never even GET plugged in... I think that the state should have set a minimum electric range to qualify for the green stickers for PHEVs ...
That's my concern as well. Each time the Plug-in Prius is fully charged, the driver will be saving only around $1 or $1.50 on gasoline. I suspect a number of drivers buying the car primarily for the HOV stickers will just not bother plugging in. I'm thankful that California has a cap on the number of HOV stickers for PHEVs.

TRONZ said:
I think the solution to the pending flood of PHEV is CHAdeMO. Let them have L2, we can do L3!

After this news, I think I understand the Nissan strategy for the LEAF.
http://www.plugincars.com/quick-charging-plus-better-batteries-equals-mainstream-electric-cars-107844.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/REPORTS/2011/09/110905.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now, there are other things we can do. We have a program right now putting in-house built quick chargers. What does that do? Well, that for example reduces the price point of a quick charger. Today, a quick charger is probably $40,000-$50,000. We’re doing it in-house and think we can get it down to $3,000-$4,000. It changes the paradigm completely. It introduces some competition outside, but also allows you to go to the governments and say: ‘We can donate or sell you some quick chargers but you have to be committed to having the parking space connecting to the electrical supply.’ It allows us to be a little bit more aggressive in our relationships with governments, utilities, telecommunication companies, etc.

The plan is slow L2 to save money and local distribution transformers, and make very cheap L3 chargers which cost around $4k so they can proliferate for on the go charging.

Thanks!

Back