Official Toyota Prius PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prius Plug-in Hybrid Preliminary Ordering Starts Friday, April 22nd.

http://www.plugincars.com/prius-plug-hybrid-preliminary-orders-starts-friday-107054.html

It's too bad this vehicle won't be available in Texas for another 2 years. This would actually be the perfect vehicle to compliment our Leaf. My wife drives the Leaf because she drives 40+ miles every day. I only drive 10 miles per day. I could get the Prius PHV and drive to work and back like an EV and then also have that extended range for longer trips.

As it is, my plan is to buy a second Leaf and we'll both be driving Leafs.

evnow said:
LakeLeaf said:
PriusChat has a topic about a group who has test driven the cars with multiple drivers over multiple routes in everyday driving situations, with the group averaging 83 MPG. (Of course - there is a lot of commuting to work, so many of the trips are shorter and mostly EV mode to get that high a number)
That is a bogus number. It doesn't account for the electricity used to charge the battery.

I'm always fascinated by PriusChat people who use this kind of made up number and at the same time criticise Volt.
Bogus number? Our 7.1kWh AC rated PV system will be amortized in less than 3.5 years now, at which point (and for many of the years to follow ... until we have to replace CAP's in our inverters) our electricity will be free. many folks driving EV's as well as PHEV's will be on solar. Care to quantify those variables? Point is NO one quantifies everything. Oil is 34kWh of energy? Now THAT's a bogus number. It doesn't account for our multi trillion dollar military budget of which most is used securing a place in countries that would otherwise want MUCH less to do with us ... or our propped up dictators.

But I digress. A PHEV doing mpg's in the 80's is hardly a big deal. My 7 years of Gen II Prius driving yielded over a dozen "10 gallons or less" tank-fill averages in the 70mpg range:
5-08-2008mpga.jpg

Yes, that's with practice - and a bet of effort. But some Prius drivers have gotten tank-full averages into the 80 mpg range. So if a Gen III is even more efficient than the Gen II ... and a non PHEV Gen II can get in the 70's ... why find PHEV ranges in the 80's to be so bogus? Just because some electricity sources are dirty? imo that's hardly tantamount to fraud ... or being bogus.

At the Cerritos CA Leaf meeting today, someones asked for a show of hands among owners to see who had PV. Out of the 15 or so people that were there ... it was an easy 70% that were on PV. And CA being the most populous state, that percentage represents a good portion of EV ownership. All that to say, "baby steps". Transportation won't clean or cure itself over night. But we're hopefully doing what we can.

As for criticizing the Volt - what could be expected ... many folks (NOT just prius owners) are ticked that Volts only get mpg's in the 30's in charge sustain mode. That's hardly a banner to jump for joy over. Prius' 50mpg record average is a standard that many were expecting GM to smash .... especially the way GM was puffing the Volt up prior to production. Missing that mark by a LOT ... coupled with GM's Leadership calling the Prius a "geek-mobile" that he "wouldn't be caught dead in" ... hardly wins over Prius drivers over to want to hold hands with GM and sing kumbaya ... imo

EDIT:
oh . . . I forgot to mention one other thing. I got to be one of those lucky stiff's. A few weeks ago, Toyota let me run around in the PHEV Prius for several days. I got MPG's in the 80's from the very 1st day on my roughly 20 mile commute to work. By the last day? As you can see by the phone pic below, I was maxed out on the PHEV's economy gauge:

4-20mpg.jpg

Heck, even my wife was still averageing well into the 50mpg's when the traction packs were depleted. Their proof of concept may not be exactly what they mass produce, but it's bound to really be an eye opener.

DaveinOlyWA said:
we still cannot get around the fact that nearly EVERYONE needs an extended range vehicle
Depends on where one lives. Here in the densely populated east coast region, mass transit is good enough to fill in most of the holes. I've never driven TO NYC; I always drive to the train station and take the train, something which I can do in a LEAF. A car is almost a liability in NYC; many live very well without one. This is, in fact, a major problem I'm facing when I rent the Hertz LEAF in NYC next weekend: where to go?

Back to topic... The Prius PHEV does not appeal to me for the same reason the Volt does not appeal to me: complexity.

Speaking with my Toyota dealer on Saturday, while having my 2010 Prius worked on (which was a tire rotation & fixing a slow leak on a tire, my Prius uses 0W oil and is only changed every 10K miles), they tell me pre-odering for those who signed up on the Toyota PHEV website will open in Massachusetts on Tuesday, August 2nd.

not a lot more details than that, but looks like good news. I test drove the Leaf on Saturday, while its fine, I am more likely to just get the 2012 PHEV Prius, being that my last 3 cars where all Priu (2002 Gen1, 2004 Gen2, and my current 2010 Gen3), it will work for my 17 mile commute, and I can charge at work. Not having to worry about the 75-100 mile range is a big plus to me, I am not worried about any complexity, I have never had a single issue with HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive) in any of my Priu.

2010 PHEV site: http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/prius-plug-in/

Preorder site: https://auth2.toyota.com/prius/plug-in/home

Mitch

mitch672 said:
Speaking with my Toyota dealer on Saturday, while having my 2010 Prius worked on (which was a tire rotation & fixing a slow leak on a tire, my Prius uses 0W oil and is only changed every 10K miles), they tell me pre-odering for those who signed up on the Toyota PHEV website will open in Massachusetts on Tuesday, August 2nd.
Toyota marketing folks have posted in PC saying the pre-ordering date will be pre-advertised.

evnow said:
mitch672 said:
Toyota marketing folks have posted in PC saying the pre-ordering date will be pre-advertised.

Thats interesting, my Toyota dealer tell me its this Tuesday in MA, as in the day after tommorow.

Mitch

mitch672 said:
Speaking with my Toyota dealer on Saturday...

...Mitch

hey, what is the price?

i am also on Prius #3 as you probably know from PC. i only got the Leaf because it was apparent that the wait for a Toyota factory plug was a long one. (granted only a 'slightly' longer wait than a Leaf in your area)

DaveinOlyWA said:
hey, what is the price?
I don't think they announced the price yet. There will be a press event in about a month, which could be indicative of an imminent public launch.

Mid high 20s from a recent article, so around 28k minus a Fed tax credit that depends on the size of the battery. Any hard numbers for the size of the battery yet?

surfingslovak said:
Herm said:
Any hard numbers for the size of the battery yet?
Around 5kWh is what I've been reading. Wikipedia has it at 5.2kWh.

I've been reading between 9-15 miles of driving. I understand the engine will kick in on material acceleration and at something around 62~mph.

With that kind of electric range, I just don't see the point unless there is absolutely no increase in price over the standard Prius... Even then it would hardly worth plugging it in for my normal daily usage patterns which are well beyond 13 miles.

mdh said:
I've been reading between 9-15 miles of driving. I understand the engine will kick in on material acceleration and at something around 62~mph.

mdh said:
Yes, exactly. Assuming similar or slightly better average energy economy than the Leaf, this implies that Toyota will let the driver use only about 50% of rated battery capacity:

2.6kWh x 5 mph = 13 miles

That would work for my commute for example, but I've heard that Volt owners would like to see longer electric range, and I wouldn't be surprised if plugin Prius owners felt the same way.

mogur said:
With that kind of electric range, I just don't see the point unless there is absolutely no increase in price over the standard Prius... Even then it would hardly worth plugging it in for my normal daily usage patterns which are well beyond 13 miles.

mdh said:
EV-only range is only part of the improvement. The 'regular' hybrids charge the battery with the liquid fuel. Even if one doesn't use any of the electric-only range, fuel economy improves, emissions are reduced, and cost per mile decreases for the plug-in compared with the plugless variants.

mogur said:

mdh said:

my commute is 17 miles each way on the "expressway" (average AM / PM commuting speed < 30-50mph, way under most of the time) We have 120V AC outlets in the parking garage I park in, 3 hours to recharge @ 120V AC. Most of my commute will be on pure EV, assuming little or no use of heat or AC, so my commute both ways will be mostly electric. Thats good enough for me :) For times when I drive 15 or more miles, its on gasoline. When and if the battery costs and/or range improves then perhaps a pure EV would be nice, to me it doesn't have to be "all or nothing", PHEVs are a "bridge" to better EVs in the future.

Also, I am 1 car house, so a Pure EV is not going to cut the times I drive to NYC (212 miles), or when you drive to cape cod and back (75 miles each way, not really any place to charge), or just days that I go all over the place, with little opportunity charging. Could I make a pure EV work? maybe, but I don't want to live with those limitations right now, When much better options will exist in 3-5 years.

mogur said:

For your usage, makes no sense. For mine, it sure would. My commute is about 10 miles per day. I could use a Prius PHV just like I do my Leaf, only I could go on longer trips too. In fact, had the Prius PHV been available, I might have chosen it over the Leaf.

Since it can also charge very quickly due to the small battery, I imagine I could also do all of my evening errands on pure electric mode with just a quick recharge after I get home.

I have to use the same argument here as I do with any EV.. it may not make sense for some people, but it makes tons of sense for others.

Back