Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
ebill3 said:
Agree - the way the notes are phrased indicates a writer outside of Tesla using available Tesla data.
Ah, that would make so much more sense. It appears that the table assumes 1.68% annual capacity loss. Linear decline is highly unlikely. It's not going to happen, not even with Tesla battery packs.

I am sure the decline won't be linear, however the annual capacity loss is pretty close to what we experienced over 27 months and 27,000 miles. Range loss was about 3% over that distance/time.
I expect, if anything, that the battery management system has improved since the Roadster.
I know of people that put about 35,000 miles a year on a Roadsters that have experienced greater losses. The numbers I have seen from a small group of Roadster owners was 1.2%/10,000 miles.

AndyLL said:
Tesla Releases Driving Logs Contradicting NYT’s Scathing Review of Model S

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/tesla-logs-nytimes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting.

EVs have enough real issues without reporter like this.
Wow!
Make sure you click on the link to Elon Musk's blog: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most-peculiar-test-drive

Let us use the following thread to talk about the NYT story & its aftermath - "BroderGate".

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pjoseph said:
jkirkebo said:
pjoseph said:
Still don't have the stomach to pay 3x what i paid for the Leaf. It appears that the waiting list for the Tesla will disappear even sooner than when the Leaf was first introduced.

There is nothing to indicate this. US reservations so far in February runs at close to 40 per day, EU reservations around 30 per day. This is above production rate.

Do you have a source for your numbers? Or do you work for Tesla marketing?

i found 44 cars per day (31 in the US + 13 in Europe) on the Tesla boards.

The real question is how many of those reservations will translate to actual orders. This is likely why folks are getting their cars months ahead of schedule. Has anyone in Europe got any money left? :mrgreen:

The car is lovely though. Especially for us early Leaf-ers.

I've stated this a few times. It just doesn't add up. All these reservation holders expecting their car in July August getting notifications that their car is ready in Feb-Mar. I believe a lot more people are not following through with the purchase once they make the reservation. Just anecdotal.

Even with the red paint and smaller battery versions being bumped for production until now, I don't believe even half those reservations are going to turn into sales.

Nice car, but the reservations don't equal sales.

Train said:
I've stated this a few times. It just doesn't add up. All these reservation holders expecting their car in July August getting notifications that their car is ready in Feb-Mar. I believe a lot more people are not following through with the purchase once they make the reservation. Just anecdotal.

Even with the red paint and smaller battery versions being bumped for production until now, I don't believe even half those reservations are going to turn into sales.

Nice car, but the reservations don't equal sales.

True. I know of at least 4 people that have reservations but switched them to a reservation for a Model X just so they could have more time and decide if they want the X or the S or even if they really to go with either. They can always switch it back to an S if they decide to do it later, but now they are paying an extra $2,500 for the price increase. Once you defer you lose the 'old' price.

TomMoloughney said:
They can always switch it back to an S if they decide to do it later, but now they are paying an extra $2,500 for the price increase. Once you defer you lose the 'old' price.
When the price increase was announced, I briefly considered reserving an S to "lock" the price, just in case. Once the actual price increase was quantified, it was small enough to not bother about it.

I've got almost a 1,000 miles of pure driving joy on the S since delivery on Saturday! I wanted to run it all the way down today so I drove it with a 50% charge over to the east side, then down I-5 to Tacoma, then up to Shoreline. resorted to running every accessory I could, defrost, turned heat on high, seat heaters, lights and all, ended up resorting to driving in circles, I'm actually not joking LOL, around our neighborhood. finally got it down to 1 mile. it's interesting, there is a yellow line that forms, a bit like the Leaf's inner bubbles, that show where the max power output is as it declines the further into the red you go. There is not a turtle, but it does keep dropping gradually and various messages start popping up. I chickened out and plugged it in.

It draws a full 30 Amps on the Blink charger. it appears to gain miles much faster than the Leaf, but I can't quantify it yet.

Sounds awesome!
GaslessInSeattle said:
I wanted to run it all the way down today so I drove it with a 50% charge over to the east side, then down I-5 to Tacoma, then up to Shoreline. resorted to running every accessory I could, defrost, turned heat on high, seat heaters, lights and all, ended up resorting to driving in circles, I'm actually not joking LOL, around our neighborhood.
That's rather Broderesque of you!

I was at a local EV club meeting tonight and there were 3 Model Ss. One owner also owned a Roadster and gave a presentation on a road trip he did. During a 25 minute break I got a ride and got to see most of the user interface. Very impressive car and UI.

Seems like Tesla did a software update and the basic timed charger is in 4.3 from what I read.

Note the "Settings for this location" reference in the picture. I like that charger is GPS location sensitive!
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13705-Firmware-4-3-basic-charging-scheduling

attachment.php

scottf200 said:
Note the "Settings for this location" reference in the picture. I like that charger is GPS location sensitive!
Thanks! Very nice feature! Some cell phones added a similar feature for controlling wireless access by location.

This is the kind of feature which would be very easy for Nissan to add to the LEAF or Chevy to add to the Volt, but they didn't/don't.

RegGuheert said:
scottf200 said:
Thanks! Very nice feature! Some cell phones added a similar feature for controlling wireless access by location.

This is the kind of feature which would be very easy for Nissan to add to the LEAF or Chevy to add to the Volt, but they didn't/don't.
should be an easy feature to add to OVMS :)

National Geographic published a nice video documentary on Tesla and the Model S. Might be worth watching.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUgDcA1pZAM[/youtube]
teslamodels

pjoseph said:
Do you have a source for your numbers? Or do you work for Tesla marketing?

i found 44 cars per day (31 in the US + 13 in Europe) on the Tesla boards.

The real question is how many of those reservations will translate to actual orders. This is likely why folks are getting their cars months ahead of schedule. Has anyone in Europe got any money left? :mrgreen:

The car is lovely though. Especially for us early Leaf-ers.

I found these recent datapoints for EU:
Jan.25 2659
Jan.31 2701
Feb.5 2886

So 20 EU per day since Jan.25 and increasing to 30 per day since the Get Amped tour started.

US:
Feb.1 18845
Feb.6 19019

35 per day in February so far.

surfingslovak said:
National Geographic published a nice video documentary on Tesla and the Model S. Might be worth watching.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUgDcA1pZAM[/youtube]
teslamodels

ya saw this a while back when it came out. well worth the time to watch

GaslessInSeattle said:
I've got almost a 1,000 miles of pure driving joy on the S since delivery on Saturday! I wanted to run it all the way down today so I drove it with a 50% charge over to the east side, then down I-5 to Tacoma, then up to Shoreline. resorted to running every accessory I could, defrost, turned heat on high, seat heaters, lights and all, ended up resorting to driving in circles, I'm actually not joking LOL, around our neighborhood. finally got it down to 1 mile. it's interesting, there is a yellow line that forms, a bit like the Leaf's inner bubbles, that show where the max power output is as it declines the further into the red you go. There is not a turtle, but it does keep dropping gradually and various messages start popping up. I chickened out and plugged it in.

It draws a full 30 Amps on the Blink charger. it appears to gain miles much faster than the Leaf, but I can't quantify it yet.
George, can you tell yet if the 85kWh is usable or max, and if the latter, how much is usable?

Back