Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what has run it's course, IMHO, is a particular member who has contributed nothing constructive, who doesn't even own an EV and apparently never intends to. People who seek out forums for which they have no common interest in have serious issues, IMHO, and do little but waste time and bring out the worst in all of us. I've said it before, the mods could save themselves and at least a few of us a whole lot of grief if they simply showed this person the door.

cwerdna said:
GeekEV said:
I think this thread has run it's course. I nominate that the moderators lock it...
So... do we start a new thread(s) to discuss the Model S?

GaslessInSeattle said:
what has run it's course, IMHO, is a particular member who has contributed nothing constructive, who doesn't even own an EV and apparently never intends to. People who seek out forums for which they have no common interest in have serious issues, IMHO, and do little but waste time and bring out the worst in all of us. I've said it before, the mods could save themselves and at least a few of us a whole lot of grief if they simply showed this person the door.

cwerdna said:
GeekEV said:
I think this thread has run it's course. I nominate that the moderators lock it...
So... do we start a new thread(s) to discuss the Model S?

Thanks, I just am tired of hearing from Train, that buying a Model S is a waste of money.
What EV does he/she/it own? And why even comment about it, "it's" never going to buy one.
"Train" is a waste of Internet bandwidth and forum hard drive space. I at least have contributed to OpenEVSE development/testing, and have been a forum supporter for the last 2 years, even though I don't own a Leaf.

Is censorship of opposing viewpoints really what you guys are about?
With 400 cars being produced a week, the stock at 40, and new models in the pipeline the permabears are starting to fidget.

In response to Mitch bragging about his net worth in response to the constant attacks from Train about how buying a Telsa is a bad decision: He could have said it in a more tactful manner, but I'm on Mitch's side.

There are countless things that some people buy that others think are stupid. Cigarettes, alcohol, vacations, large houses, expensive cars, the list goes on and on. Even the LEAF can't be cost justified without being creative.

I've enjoyed this thread more since adding Train to my foes list, too.

This is a "cocktail party" thread, with interesting general discussion of Tesla and how it relates to Leaf and EV market in general. One has to assume in-depth discussions on the Model S would find a home on forums like Tesla motor club. The Train posts I have read are void of personal attacks, it seems people just don't agree with him. Intolerance of differing viewpoints is an ugly thing, especially when it comes from the intelligentsia.

cdub said:
mitch672 said:
I probably have 10 times your net worth,

Dude - you're kind of a a-hole. Go flaunt your "wealth" on the tesla forums.

Dude anyone that can buy a Leaf is already flaunting his wealth.. get a 2 year old corolla and donate the difference to charity.. or move closer to work and bicycle in

the reality is that forums like this are not free speech zones, they don't pretend to be democratic even. When entities like Train are allowed to persist, it drags the back and forth noise to content ratio down so much that people stop contributing. I've seen it happen in other forums and I think allowing someone to post the same kind of thing over and over without any new content, no direct experience in what they speak, etc etc, is contrary to the spirit and purpose of such a forum. At the very least, Train has essentially dragged the one thread that is allowed on this forum about the Tesla S into the gutter.

IMHO, MyNissanLeaf.com really needs to shift to include all EV's equally or it will gradually slide into the dust bin. for now, it's the most active forum, but that could change very quickly if we don't find a better way to be more equally inclusive. Each EV really needs it's own broken out sub forums just like the Leaf has now and the entire forum needs to be managed to limit the destruction that people like Train can do.

LTLFTcomposite said:
This is a "cocktail party" thread, with interesting general discussion of Tesla and how it relates to Leaf and EV market in general. One has to assume in-depth discussions on the Model S would find a home on forums like Tesla motor club. The Train posts I have read are void of personal attacks, it seems people just don't agree with him. Intolerance of differing viewpoints is an ugly thing, especially when it comes from the intelligentsia.

GaslessInSeattle said:
At the very least, Train has essentially dragged the one thread that is allowed on this forum about the Tesla S into the gutter.
I do believe that you are exaggerating. After all - look at Herm - he's probably the least liked poster around but people generally just ignore him. It takes two to tango (or in this case there's at least been 3) and my opinion of the recent discussion lies more with LTLFTcomposite's.

Moderation on this board has always been minimal at most except for flagrant violations. I don't see that changing any time soon. Most people here are grown-ups and can handle themselves just fine.

I don't see this particular board expanding to include other EVs significantly- Tesla already has their own very active forum (more active than this one) and gm-volt.com is also very active, and it appears that the "my electric car forums" groups has created separate forums for every single plug-in out there.

Interesting. The last 24 posts, including this one and two others by me, have absolutely nothing to do with the Tesla Model S. :eek:

Let steer the conversation back on topic.

Is there any new information on leases for the Tesla yet. I am looking at the smallest battery for my needs.

Ian B

GaslessInSeattle said:
the reality is that forums like this are not free speech zones...
Consider that "Tesla Model S" is too broad/vague for a thread topic, inviting discussion on every aspect of Tesla and Model S imaginable. Instead have threads under the Tesla discussion like "Tesla's tenuous financial position" or "High-end Model S niche market too narrow to sustain Tesla".
and my opinion of the recent discussion lies more with LTLFTcomposite's.
Sorry it wasn't my intent to spiral off into some big metadiscussion beginning with the cat food quip, much less get in front of a Train.

well, it would be nice to keep posting here about the S, but I can certainly focus my efforts on the Tesla forum, it would be a shame though, there is a lot of collective knowledge of EV's here, a lot of potential! Sadly, as the Leaf's battery woes have grown, a lot of what has predominated here on MNL has been just plain depressing. in the summer it seems like practically everyone is freaking out about the heat and in the winter it's about the cold... kind of a case of perpetual range anxiety.

I have enjoyed driving my Leaf for the last 15 months. I enjoy reading about the Tesla, I believe Tesla is doing what a new car company must. The roadster and the High end S are funding the R&D for the rest of us. I wish Nissan would learn a little from Tesla and provide a TMS for it's batteries, and offer a big 85kWh battery pack. I for one would pay an extra 10,000 for it. The biggest problem I have with the Tesla, is its size. It is just too big for my taste. I like the size of the Accord. The leaf could stand to be about 4 inches wider but it's about the correct size. Just needs a TMS and bigger battery/super chargers.

drees said:
After all - look at Herm - he's probably the least liked poster around but people generally just ignore him.
Herm? I've never observed his posts to be ugly in a personal way. I have to admit I've enjoyed his sense of humor, even when I disagree. (FWIW, my primary area of disagreement with Herm concerns actively addressing climate change, but I've noticed that his viewpoint has evolved some, as did mine in years prior.)

N952JL said:
I wish Nissan would learn a little from Tesla and provide a TMS for it's batteries, and offer a big 85kWh battery pack. I for one would pay an extra 10,000 for it. The biggest problem I have with the Tesla, is its size. It is just too big for my taste.
At current energy densities, 85 kWh might be too much battery for a LEAF-sized vehicle. I agree with the sentiment, though. Many of us are satisfied with the LEAF's size, features, and performance - we just want it to have more range and less heat-related battery degradation.

MrIanB said:
Let steer the conversation back on topic.

Is there any new information on leases for the Tesla yet. I am looking at the smallest battery for my needs.

Ian B

According to a post in their forum they are currently targeting the second half of 2013 for leases to be available.

A white Tesla S, by coincidence exactly the model I'd be interested in, was parked outside my driveway last weekend for an open house down the street. I took the opportunity to measure it: too long for my garage and also too long to park in San Francisco. Will the X be shorter?

DeaneG said:
A white Tesla S, by coincidence exactly the model I'd be interested in, was parked outside my driveway last weekend for an open house down the street. I took the opportunity to measure it: too long for my garage and also too long to park in San Francisco. Will the X be shorter?
I don't see any published specs, but I imagine they're the same or close. From the pictures it looks like there's much the same relationship between the S and the X as there is between the Prius and the Prius v.

Back