Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have the Blink charger with the J to Tesla adapter, which allows 30 amps, but it still takes longer to charge the fully depleted 85 kw than I've been able to leave it plugged in. Hopefully within the next week I'll be able to do this... it's tricky with two kids and a traveling spouse. so far, I'm very impressed with the range with the setting set to "Range Mode", which BTW does not mean mean Max Range (as in a full charge)... seems a lot of folks have been mixing these terms up up on the Tesla site. Range mode is like eco, sort of. It doesn't effect acceleration but reduces CC draw, presumably limiting it to the heat pump. In "Range Mode", I can prewarm, set the temp to 71F and stay quite warm and fogg free and draw out the range quite a bit. unfortunately I don't have a lot of hard numbers yet... range tests on the S take a lot more free time than the Leaf!

GRA said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
I've got almost a 1,000 miles of pure driving joy on the S since delivery on Saturday! I wanted to run it all the way down today so I drove it with a 50% charge over to the east side, then down I-5 to Tacoma, then up to Shoreline. resorted to running every accessory I could, defrost, turned heat on high, seat heaters, lights and all, ended up resorting to driving in circles, I'm actually not joking LOL, around our neighborhood. finally got it down to 1 mile. it's interesting, there is a yellow line that forms, a bit like the Leaf's inner bubbles, that show where the max power output is as it declines the further into the red you go. There is not a turtle, but it does keep dropping gradually and various messages start popping up. I chickened out and plugged it in.

It draws a full 30 Amps on the Blink charger. it appears to gain miles much faster than the Leaf, but I can't quantify it yet.
George, can you tell yet if the 85kWh is usable or max, and if the latter, how much is usable?

GaslessInSeattle said:
I only have the Blink charger with the J to Tesla adapter, which allows 30 amps, but it still takes longer to charge the fully depleted 85 kw than I've been able to leave it plugged in. Hopefully within the next week I'll be able to do this... it's tricky with two kids and a traveling spouse. so far, I'm very impressed with the range with the setting set to "Range Mode", which BTW does not mean mean Max Range (as in a full charge)... seems a lot of folks have been mixing these terms up up on the Tesla site. Range mode is like eco, sort of. It doesn't effect acceleration but reduces CC draw, presumably limiting it to the heat pump. In "Range Mode", I can prewarm, set the temp to 71F and stay quite warm and fogg free and draw out the range quite a bit. unfortunately I don't have a lot of hard numbers yet... range tests on the S take a lot more free time than the Leaf!
My Blink charger came with a plug. If you have 50 amp available then you may want to rig up:

http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/outlet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & adapter_guide_tab
NEMA 14-50 | RVs and Campsites | 240 V / 40 Amp| 10 kW | 31 miles/hour
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Picked-up my model S at the soon-to-be Bellevue WA Service Center today, Sunday. There were a bunch of cars there - 15 or more. I managed to hold it to a brief spurt at 85 on the way home.

I rent, and the property manager doesn't seem at all interested in putting 240 volts in my garage. For the LEAF, I am using a homebrew quick 240 and the upgraded LEAF EVSE. For the Tesla, I made a NEMA 14-50 Y splitter for the kitchen range and ran a 3/6 1/8 RV extension cord out the kitchen window. Good for 32 Amps, but when we are using the stove, it is back 120 volts at 12 Amps. That yields about 3 MPH. Tomorrow I'll see if the upgraded LEAF EVSE will double that to maybe 6 MPH.

With my Rube Goldberg set-ups, it might be easier to pump gasoline. Nope - the die is cast. The Buick goes on the block tomorrow, well, maybe Tuesday.

I'd be interested to see if the upgraded Nissan EVSE will work with the Model S. I heard a person at Tesla say that the Nissan EVSE is not (in his opinion) J1772 standard compatible and it wouldn't work properly with the S. I didn't have a chance to discuss more with him about exactly what is not compatible...

Has anyone tried one? Does it work?

Thanks....

Randy said:
I'd be interested to see if the upgraded Nissan EVSE will work with the Model S. I heard a person at Tesla say that the Nissan EVSE is not (in his opinion) J1772 standard compatible and it wouldn't work properly with the S. I didn't have a chance to discuss more with him about exactly what is not compatible...

Thanks....

It doesn't work on the Rav4, so it makes sense that it might not work on Model S.

Do you have a delivery date yet?

I am also waiting for a red one. If I get mine first, I will let you know if the upgraded LEAF evse works. Mean time, ran a 50 amp circuit for home charging. LEAF charger installed near front of Leaf likely wouldn't stretch to the back opposite side of the S.

ebill3 said:
Picked-up my model S at the soon-to-be Bellevue WA Service Center today, Sunday. There were a bunch of cars there - 15 or more. I managed to hold it to a brief spurt at 85 on the way home.

I rent, and the property manager doesn't seem at all interested in putting 240 volts in my garage. For the LEAF, I am using a homebrew quick 240 and the upgraded LEAF EVSE. For the Tesla, I made a NEMA 14-50 Y splitter for the kitchen range and ran a 3/6 1/8 RV extension cord out the kitchen window. Good for 32 Amps, but when we are using the stove, it is back 120 volts at 12 Amps. That yields about 3 MPH. Tomorrow I'll see if the upgraded LEAF EVSE will double that to maybe 6 MPH.

With my Rube Goldberg set-ups, it might be easier to pump gasoline. Nope - the die is cast. The Buick goes on the block tomorrow, well, maybe Tuesday.

congrats on the car!! expecting a full write up on your initial experiences!

Randy said:

Yes tried it, and nope - it does not work. Just not recognized. The Tesla reports "ready to charge", but it will not do so.

Unfortunate for me with my limited charge facilities. I had counted on that to be my sort of normal charge giving me about 6 MPH, while my jury-rig 14-50 stove connection would be my "fast" charge set-up at 20-21 MPH. So here I sit with dual Model S chargers (80 Amps) and a max available 32 Amps. That's OK - rumor has it that the Roadster charging stations are going to converted to allow both the Roadster and Model S to use them, and presumably, the Model X. I hope so, because I sure would hate to have to pony up $650 for an adapter.

Now, someone tell me what Gremlin opened all four windows last night while plugged into 120 volts. :?: I know darn well the windows were all closed when I locked up last evening.

ebill3 said:
Randy said:

Yes tried it, and nope - it does not work. Just not recognized. The Tesla reports "ready to charge", but it will not do so.

Unfortunate for me with my limited charge facilities. I had counted on that to be my sort of normal charge giving me about 6 MPH, while my jury-rig 14-50 stove connection would be my "fast" charge set-up at 20-21 MPH. So here I sit with dual Model S chargers (80 Amps) and a max available 32 Amps. That's OK - rumor has it that the Roadster charging stations are going to converted to allow both the Roadster and Model S to use them, and presumably, the Model X. I hope so, because I sure would hate to have to pony up $650 for an adapter.

Now, someone tell me what Gremlin opened all four windows last night while plugged into 120 volts. :?: I know darn well the windows were all closed when I locked up last evening.

Why not just use the Tesla UMC with the included 120v adapter?

ebill3 said:

Two possibilities come immediately to mind.
First, there is a way to do that with the fob, I forget exactly what that is so I am not sure how easy it is to do that.

Second, possible bug, if you see it again contact Tesla and have them check the logs.

Edit-------
Just checked, press and hold the top/middle button to open all windows

gaswalla said:
ebill3 said:
Randy said:

Why not just use the Tesla UMC with the included 120v adapter?
Because I want to use 240 volts. At 120 volts, the charge rate is 3 MPH. I'll tap into my quick 240 box and add a 14-50 socket, use the UMC, and throttle back to 12 Amps, which is all I can get out of my garage.

Zythryn said:
ebill3 said:

Two possibilities come immediately to mind.
First, there is a way to do that with the fob, I forget exactly what that is so I am not sure how easy it is to do that.

Second, possible bug, if you see it again contact Tesla and have them check the logs.

Edit-------
Just checked, press and hold the top/middle button to open all windows
Thank you, thank you. I fiddled with combinations of the fob buttons, but never pressed and held.

TomT said:
I now have an April delivery date for my red S! My neighbor is going to take over my Leaf lease so it will work out well for both of us!
Hopefully your neighbor is trustworthy as per NMAC (when I last checked), you're still on the hook for the lease. It would suck if the person who takes it over doesn't pay, as it's still on you. :(

Congrats! Which battery capacity are you getting?

cwerdna said:
TomT said:
I now have an April delivery date for my red S! My neighbor is going to take over my Leaf lease so it will work out well for both of us!
Hopefully your neighbor is trustworthy as per NMAC (when I last checked), you're still on the hook for the lease. It would suck if the person who takes it over doesn't pay, as it's still on you. :(
Congrats! Which battery capacity are you getting?
This was talked about recently on another forum. There are even websites to help: http://swapalease.com/help/howitworks.aspx?pan=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^^^
And was the conclusion any different for NMAC than what I mentioned?

I posted about this at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=161834#p161834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I even brought it up at Alt Car Expo last year w/a Nissan rep and let's just say I hit a nerve w/him, for some reason. :( I was hoping to give feedback about how I don't like this policy at least passed higher up the chain and logged in their system, to give a chance of it being changed.

Seemed like he was in total agreement w/the policy and there's little chance he'd pass on my feedback.

ebill3 said:
Randy said:

did you go into your charge screen and make sure you set it to match the current for the EVSE?

DaveinOlyWA said:
did you go into your charge screen and make sure you set it to match the current for the EVSE?

The "charge screen" will just show the maximum the J-1772 pilot signal has, you can accept that or lower it... Can't make it any larger. If it doesn't work, the EVSE might not be fully J-1772 complaint.

Back