Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdmondLeaf said:
Rebel44 said:
EdmondLeaf said:
Wonder why Model S sellers like listing cars on ebay: Model S 73 cars for sale, Leaf 54 cars for sale?
Quite a few owners want to upgrade to P85D, so they are selling their cars.

I do not believe that ebay is a good forum to sell cars, with just few real transaction and lot of cars re-listed after sale.
from what I've heard is that the pros use Ebay as advertising, almost all the deals are consummated off ebay.

mwalsh said:
Except many are not buying them for altruistic reasons, which is really neither here nor there I suppose. Many are buying because the Model S is the motoring equivalent of a purse-sized dog.
that's hysterical, referring to a 4600 lb car as purse sized dog.

your jealousy is showing

apvbguy said:
mwalsh said:
Except many are not buying them for altruistic reasons, which is really neither here nor there I suppose. Many are buying because the Model S is the motoring equivalent of a purse-sized dog.
that's hysterical, referring to a 4600 lb car as purse sized dog.

your jealousy is showing
No, no, he's got it all wrong. You buy the car so that you can buy the matching ridiculously-expensive tote to put the tote (purse) -sized dog in: http://insideevs.com/tesla-design-collection-includes-driving-gloves-totes-bags-ipadiphone-gear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone been able to find a refutation of Schmitt's comments on the apparent discrepancies in S sales reports, excerpted below??

Go to the link to see the referenced sales figures:
Musk’s pants on fire: September was a record high? Definitely not in terms of Model S sales

December 8, 2014 By Bertel Schmitt

...On October 27, 2014, the Wall Street Journal wrote that sales of Tesla’s Model S are “declining in its home market.” The Journal said that “through September, Tesla sold 10,335 Model S sedans in its home market, down 26% compared with the same period in 2013.” At Tesla, Musk disagreed.

In the rest of the auto business, an errant writer would have been ignored, for fear a reaction could create more waves. Or the reporter would get a phone call to set matters straight (I get those all the time.) Tesla is not like the rest of the auto business, therefore, the Wall Street Journal got an angry tweet from Elon Musk himself:

...Musk said that “September was a record high WW and up 65% year-over-year in North America.” He said September, not the 9 months through September. Easy for him to claim, because Tesla does not release monthly numbers – and who’s got the data to disprove him?

Shockingly, those data are readily available. From Ward’s, where the WSJ got them. Or from JATO, where the Daily Kanban found what everyone should be looking for. Send them a check, they send you the data. Speaking of which, let’s do a sanity check. The Journal’s data, sourced from respectable Ward’s, did show 10,335 Model S sold through September. JATO shows 10,068 Model S registrations in North America for the same period. This indicates that the data are independently sourced, and that they are coming to a very similar results. With a 40 year professional background in car counting, I have high confidence both in JATO.

...Now on to matters that deserve less confidence, let’s look at Musk’s claims of record highs worldwide in
Sorry, JATO’s data don’t agree with Musk. JATO shows that worldwide, registrations peaked in March 2014, and that they were down ever since. JATO shows September registrations of about half of the March peak. Tesla’s worldwide trend has been down for most of the year.

(Looking at the chart, one can’t help but notice a strange tendency among new Tesla owners to register their vehicle in the last month of the quarter, whereupon registrations crash in the following month. Just a thought.)

...what we know is this:
Musk’s claims of record sales in September cannot be independently confirmed.
Tesla registrations have peaked globally in the first quarter of 2014
As of September, more than 4,000 cars were reported as sold, but not as registered.
About half of the missing cars supposedly are in China, no idea where. Where the other half is, nobody seems to knows either...
http://dailykanban.com/2014/12/musks-pants-fire-september-record-high-definitely-not-terms-model-s-sales/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
As of September, more than 4,000 cars were reported as sold, but not as registered.
According to anecdotal reports on TMC, Tesla stores were delivering a flood of cars at the very end of September, just before the end of the quarter. So it's reasonable to expect that a great many of those cars were registered the following month. Probably not 4000 cars, though.

I seriously doubt Elon would want to risk prison time by participating in a scheme to cook the books and misrepresent sales as is being suggested.

I was looking at TSLA as an investment opportunity.

I don't get it.

It has market capitalisation of $26bn, but assets of only $1bn.

Plus its borrowing to equity is over x2.

A good plan for the future, new product line-up and market position mitigates the b/e ratio and maybe doubles the virtual assets, but with 125 million shares issued, surely they should be around the $15 mark, not $200 current?

What am I missing? Is it just an over-inflated investment bubble? Not that you can't make money out of a bubble, but it's not a long term investment at that price, surely?

donald said:

I don't get it.

A good plan for the future, new product line-up and market position mitigates the b/e ratio and maybe doubles the virtual assets, but with 125 million shares issued, surely they should be around the $15 mark, not $200 current?

What am I missing? Is it just an over-inflated investment bubble? Not that you can't make money out of a bubble, but it's not a long term investment at that price, surely?
As you have discovered, TSLA is a speculation, not an investment with any reasonable valuation based on fundamentals. It is similar to many internet stocks in 1999. Not exactly "tulip mania" in 1637, because Tesla might well grow into its lofty valuation over the next decade, but wildly speculative nonetheless.

Whether the TSLA bubble will burst, keep expanding, or deflate slowly, remains to be seen.

donald said:

I don't get it.

what did we learn from the dot.com investment fiasco?

your comments pretty much illustrates we have learned nothing.

but don't feel bad. that is the root problem of investments. its all speculation based on various levels of truth but its mostly "predicting" the future. its guess work. if it weren't then we all be rich doing it.

the ones that are rich balance a level of scam, greed, and luck to get ahead. It is something few of us have the guts or lack of conscious to do because you have to have a lot of both

http://insideevs.com/tesla-chief-information-officer-model-3-price-target-30000-40000/

The last sentence on that articles says, "Tesla would sure like to capture a significant portion of India’s now-growing plug-in vehicle market".

Really? Growing plug-in market in India. Are they kidding ?

The Model S has now passed 1 Billion kilometers!
Looking forward to 1 Billion miles next:)

https://www.facebook.com/teslamotors/photos/a.398080447800.166146.18790602800/10152901512537801/?type=1&fref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mkjayakumar said:
http://insideevs.com/tesla-chief-information-officer-model-3-price-target-30000-40000/

The last sentence on that articles says, "Tesla would sure like to capture a significant portion of India’s now-growing plug-in vehicle market".

Really? Growing plug-in market in India. Are they kidding ?
what exactly makes you think that they are kidding? a market of over a billion people is a market most manufacturers would want to participate in

In the view of this author: "Roadster 3.0 upgrade shows Tesla will upgrade Model S to 500+ mile range in 2017"
Tesla recently provided upgrades for 2400 Roadsters sold from 2008 to 2012 with a boost in range to over 400 miles Tesla is is probably the only Technology company to retrofit an older generation product with the latest technology...

Tesla Model S will have 500+ mile range probably by 2017 – 2018; and all the existing Model S, could be retrofitted with the new Battery Packs, when available...
http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/01/roadster-30-upgrade-shows-tesla-will.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apvbguy said:
what exactly makes you think that they are kidding? a market of over a billion people is a market most manufacturers would want to participate in
OP is questioning whether the plugin market is really "growing".

I guess it is - but from a very very tiny base. I saw quite a few REVA's when I last visited India.

dgpcolorado said:
A Motley Fool tech analyst gives his perspective about living with a Model S here in Colorado snow country: 4 Things I Learned Driving a Tesla for 10,000 Miles

While he seems to think the stock is at a "pricey valuation" the EV newcomer seems pretty pleased with his Tesla driving experience.
I think he wrote a fair article that is not tainted by a long or short position on TSLA

From my signature below, you know I have a reservation of a Model X. I had the opportunity to test drive a P85D yesterday. Started off with us delaying the install on the s for 6.1 (ACC! aka TACC, new navigation options, etc). Coincidental as that is one of the coolest benefits of owning a Tesla ... upgraded functionality. Imagine waking up and overnight they added Auto Cruise Control (Traffic-Aware Cruise Control)!?! (Obviously, you needed the hardware previously installed on the factory line to get this software downloaded later).

I test drove a P85 last year. We have snow around here and although a lot of it was off the road there were still some wet spots to test the P85D on. Truly impressive and very hard to detect any spin. Tested 0 - "40" and it is wicked fast.

Loved the feature that simulated "rumble strips" feel (steering wheel) and sound when you cross a white or yellow line without using your blinker (ie. you drifted over). Very impressive and smart UI feature.

Title: Tesla Model S P85D does 0-60 MPH in the rain in 3.3 seconds
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6daT51_sM[/youtube]

Back