Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a Model S video. Absolutely nothing new. The only problem is that the host wants to use a blink station at one point. Naturally, both units are out-of-order, but he was able to find a shared station on plugshare. He's actually lucky blink was down. He was almost certainly getting 9.6-19.2kW from the Tesla owner's shared station, as opposed to the 4.8kW blink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SdhjHgvoVc#t=10

Fortune article on the negotiations to get the Gigafactory:

http://fortune.com/inside-elon-musks-billion-dollar-gigafactory/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elon's reply:

http://insideevs.com/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-responds-allegations-claim-tesla-duped-nevada-gigafactory-deal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recorded an ep of How It's Made - Dream Cars: Tesla Model S recently on Science Channel. I haven't had a chance to watch yet.

It'll be rerun a few more times in the next 2 weeks. For those people who prefer to buy :?, it looks like it's available for a fee on YouTube and Vudu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGQlx8jpkLo&list=TLSeu046cD4Bk
http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!overview/570777/How-Its-Made-Dream-Cars-Tesla-Model-S

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/38795-How-It-s-Made-Dream-Cars-Tesla-Model-S?p=826080&viewfull=1#post826080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a pointer to a copy on Google Drive. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets taken down soon...

Comcast has it at no cost "On Demand".
I've also heard one of the satellite TV companies has it on their "On Demand". I think it was DirectTV although it may have been Diah Network.

Pretty good, filed prior to the AWD model being produced.
The performance times are based on the S85.

Zythryn said:
Comcast has it at no cost "On Demand".
I've also heard one of the satellite TV companies has it on their "On Demand". I think it was DirectTV although it may have been Diah Network.
Cool. Unfortunately, because I use a TiVo HD w/CableCARD on Comcast, there's no way for me to get to On Demand on my TV.

Can confirm it is available on DirecTV. Thanks very much for sharing! I'm going to watch right now.

gu0jHQi.png

I know this has been discussed previously, but it seems useful to remind people who'd like a Model S but can't see paying full freight, via ievs.com:
Release Of Updated 2015 Tesla Model S Leads To Discounts On Older Versions
http://insideevs.com/release-updated-2015-tesla-model-s-leads-discounts-older-versions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know, a lot of you want/need AWD too, but it's a start.

Overall the episode is good. Lots of focus on the line and quality control. Absolutely othing on the pack build. The pack is first shown as a completed unit being bolted on to the car. They do go into great detail on the motor build though. Not a complete waste of time, but it does gloss over one of the two most important parts of an electric car.

EdmondLeaf said:
Wonder why Model S sellers like listing cars on ebay: Model S 73 cars for sale, Leaf 54 cars for sale?

Quite a few owners want to upgrade to P85D, so they are selling their cars.

Rebel44 said:
EdmondLeaf said:
Wonder why Model S sellers like listing cars on ebay: Model S 73 cars for sale, Leaf 54 cars for sale?

I do not believe that ebay is a good forum to sell cars, with just few real transaction and lot of cars re-listed after sale.

EdmondLeaf said:
Rebel44 said:
EdmondLeaf said:

I do not believe that ebay is a good forum to sell cars, with just few real transaction and lot of cars re-listed after sale.

Perhaps, I wouldn't know.
I can second Rebel's statement, there are quite a few owners upgrading.

Probably just because there isn't a huge market. If you're in Tokpeka, are you just gonna put that up next to all the Camrys and pickups on Craigslist?

Its likely better to list your car at multiple places - that way you can attract more interest and either sell faster and/or at better price.

Looks like some at BMW may have taken Elon's recent use of the BMW name in vain personally.

...As an indication of where the efforts of BMW’s concept driveline engineers are focused with Power eDrive, the otherwise innocuous-looking 5-series GT xDrive in which the initial prototype system is installed is described to us as “the Tesla-killer”. We take a passenger seat and ready ourselves to ride shotgun around the German company’s vast Miramas test track in southern France.

From rest in the pit lane, the BMW test driver pushes the throttle against its backstop and we’re thrust onto the circuit with truly astonishing force. With the two electric motors channelling their reserves to all four wheels, acceleration is brutal.

The delivery of torque is instant, and it is sufficient to induce momentary wheelspin from all four wheels as we’re furiously propelled up the straight. The only sensation of noise comes from a distant high-pitched whine from the electric motors, the buffeting of wind around the exterior mirror housings and the roar of tyres across the Tarmac. That is until until the four-cylinder petrol engine fires to further boost the remarkable performance and also act as a generator to produce electricity, which is stored on board.

BMW won’t say exactly how much shove is on offer, suggesting only that it is “well into four figures” on the Newton metre (Nm) scale. As a point of reference, the recently unveiled performance variant of the Tesla Model S, the so-called 85kWh, possesses a mighty 931Nm – or some 687lb ft of torque. So the BMW prototype is not exactly lacking...
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-s-tesla-killer-first-ride-new-power-edrive-plug-hybrid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have never been a Tesla S fan.

I own a BEV to reduce both the adverse environmental effects and the costs of driving.

Tesla (S and X) score lower on both scales than any number of ICEVs you can buy.

I really don't understand why you would not want an ICE in any vehicle you pay ~$100k (or even ~half that much) for, given the performance and range benefits you get by adding an ICE to a BEV.

So, I would think Tesla may soon encounter competitive PHEVs in all its high-end market categories.

But then, maybe the novelty of not having an ICEV will continue to be a useful marketing angle.

I've always the found conspicuous consumption behavior of the .01% inscrutable...

Interesting.

What do you mean by ICEV? Internal Cumbustion Engine Vehicle? Or is it a reference to a PHEV which combines an ICE with and electric motor?

My Tesla is far more efficient than any ICE vehicle, and more efficient for than many PHEVs overall.
It of course is less efficient than the Leaf, MIEV, or most other BEVs.

As for performance, it is unmatched as far as 5 passenger sedans go. And will smoke most ICE vehicles.

Your implication that Tesla owners are in the top 0.01% is an odd exaggeration. So "out there" that it weakens your position.
Tesla owners tend to reside in the top 20%.
Sure, it is an expensive vehicle. For those that want to stop using gasoline, but need more than 80 miles of range in winter there was little choice.

I also don't see what your problem is with people that have the means, putting their money where their mouth is and spending the money for an electric car.

We should be happy that Tesla is not only making a long range BEV, but that they are making a car desirable to many just because it has such great performance, styling and luxury. It widens the market for energy efficient cars. They are replacing BMWs and Audis which would otherwise be running around sucking up gas and farting our CO2 at rediculous rates.

Except many are not buying them for altruistic reasons, which is really neither here nor there I suppose. Many are buying because the Model S is the motoring equivalent of a purse-sized dog.

I do agree though that quite a few will have a hard time going back to anything other than a BEV next time round.

mwalsh said:
Except many are not buying them for altruistic reasons, which is really neither here nor there I suppose. Many are buying because the Model S is the motoring equivalent of a purse-sized dog.

I do agree though that quite a few will have a hard time going back to anything other than a BEV next time round.

And how efficient of a vehicle do you think those drivers would be driving if not for the Model S?

Zythryn said:
And how efficient of a vehicle do you think those drivers would be driving if not for the Model S?

Why does it matter? The bottom line is that they probably wouldn't care.

When the next über trendy vehicle comes along they'll bail from the Model S in droves. We can pray that it's another BEV, but if it isn't I expect many will be gone regardless. All we peasants can really hope for from it is a glut of used Model Ss at blowout pricing.

edatoakrun said:
I've always the found conspicuous consumption behavior of the .01% inscrutable...
That's an easy thing for people to say if they aren't part of the top 10%, 1%, 0.01%, or whatever. We in the developed world are so incredibly rich when compared with the vast majority of humans who've lived on Earth. So, how does one draw the line at the level of consumption that is "acceptable" vs. "not acceptable"? Often, people consider "acceptable" to be anything at or below what they themselves can afford.

If someone has many millions of dollars, there's a sizable probability that they've made significant contributions to the world; people have appreciated a good or service that they labored for. If they want to spend a moderate fraction of their wealth enjoying some "toys", then more power to them. The more of those people who buy the Tesla Model S P85D in fully loaded form, the better. These individuals tend to be influencers and we want them to be sold on EVs and renewable energy. And we want to buy their used vehicles at some point!

Back