Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I agree the lack of heated steering wheel is really unfortunate, along with lack of a key fob.

As more cars hit the road I'm starting to have reservations about the model 3 again. I'm seeing far too many issues pop up on the forums. Lots of owners have already had to go back to the service center, sometimes within a day or two, to get things fixed, anything from battery to RFID reader to a mirror motor to a touch screen (some of them apparently are possessed and pressing the right side of the screen by themselves). Really just weird issues across the board indicative of Tesla's mad rush to push it out the door before nailing down quality issues.

All of this is bad, but in my case I am hours from a service center. I can promise that I am never taking a day out of my week to get a car serviced. Never. Do not have the time, and if I had it I would not make it for that. So if I'm having this thing shipped to me or driving across state to pick it up and one of these problems pops up, how does it get resolved?
As SageBrush says: Ranger service (Mobile Service Technician). If it is warranty service and you live a long way from a Service Center a Ranger will do the work or flatbed tow the car to a Service Center. My main screen went out — the car was still driveable but default charging was very slow, which limited useful range. When the ranger couldn't get a replacement in a couple of days — Tesla had a hold on them for some reason — he brought me a rental car and took my car to Denver 300+ miles away. He would have brought it back to me, but I drove the rental to Denver and drove my car home myself because it is a lovely drive over the mountains and I enjoy it. All this was at no cost to me since my CPO car is under warranty.

No, Service Centers aren't everywhere, so Tesla introduced Ranger service some years ago. By the way, my CPO car was delivered to me when I bought it because I was so far away. I think the delivery limit was something like 155 miles or more, although subject to change I would guess.

Just something else to consider. However, since you are adamant that you don't want to deal with problems, you might want to wait a couple of years before considering a Model 3, while Tesla works out problems with the early cars. You don't seem like someone willing to deal with early production model issues. Someday they might even add a cold weather package with a heated steering wheel (I'd like that).
I've heard of the rangers, but can tesla really afford to pay for them on a lower margin car like the model 3?

Also, that ranger, he dropped the rental car off at your house I guess, did he walk back to his van in the city? I'm not trying to make light of it. I'd be fine bringing it to some mechanics station if he's familiar with these things, and if the ranger is in a van full of parts serving the area every month or so it could potentially be convenient staying at home while it's fixed on the driveway.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... il.107480/
Strange that you can't make an appointment. I can call nissan, ford, etc. right now and make an appointment within 1-3 days to get any car looked at, they look at it, order parts immediately after a mechanic triages it.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
...I've heard of the rangers, but can tesla really afford to pay for them on a lower margin car like the model 3?..
A terribly inefficient method of servicing vehicles, that has never been affordable for the high-priced Teslas, contributing to the record of billions of dollars of TSLA corporate loses.

On a related note...wonder how much $ TSLA has lost on this 3, so far...

First Model 3 motor failure reported, Tesla engineers on their way to investigate

An early Tesla Model 3 owner has reported that the motor in his Model 3 suddenly failed, leaving the car inoperable.

TeslaWeekly has been in direct contact with the owner of the vehicle and has learned more details.

The owner of the Model 3, Stephen Day, had driven the car about 270 miles since taking delivery. He explains to Tesla Weekly, “The wife took it down the street 2 miles away to a meeting to show it off. She had a friend in it and was accelerating a little hard and it made a loud thud, like she hit something.”

He continues, “Then she lost all all propulsion and got the error on the screen that it needs serviced and may not start again. She pulled over and called support. Tried rebooting, powering off and on, walking away and coming back, etc.”

“They suspected it was a fuse. Hauled it off to the service center.” However, the technicians and service advisor at his local service center later confirmed that the motor had failed.

“Tesla is flying a new drive unit and engineering team out here.”...
http://teslaweekly.com/first-model-3-motor-failure-reported-tesla-engineers-on-their-way-to-investigate/

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I've heard of the rangers, but can tesla really afford to pay for them on a lower margin car like the model 3?
I suppose that the hope is that the Model 3, being a simpler car, will need fewer warranty repairs. Nevertheless, the vast majority of owners live fairly near Service Centers, so those of us who need Ranger service are a small minority.

Also, that ranger, he dropped the rental car off at your house I guess, did he walk back to his van in the city? I'm not trying to make light of it. I'd be fine bringing it to some mechanics station if he's familiar with these things, and if the ranger is in a van full of parts serving the area every month or so it could potentially be convenient staying at home while it's fixed on the driveway.
Ok, longer version: I was offered a rental car while my car was (mostly) incapacitated. I turned it down because I can do without a car for a few days and had no way to get to the city where car rentals are located anyway (short of having a neighbor take me there). When the Ranger decided I was waiting too long for the needed repair, he rented a car for me (AWD, because of snow) and flatbed trailered it to my house and picked up my car to take to Denver. If making service calls he uses the van. If transporting cars he uses a truck and trailer. It is routine stuff for a Ranger. In my region Rangers are based in Colorado Springs.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... il.107480/
Strange that you can't make an appointment. I can call nissan, ford, etc. right now and make an appointment within 1-3 days to get any car looked at, they look at it, order parts immediately after a mechanic triages it.
I always make service appointments because of the distance. For emergency service the Service Center will make space and take the car in right away IME. When getting service, loaner cars are offered if available or Enterprise rentals if the loaners are all out.

edatoakrun said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
...I've heard of the rangers, but can tesla really afford to pay for them on a lower margin car like the model 3?..
A terribly inefficient method of servicing vehicles, that has never been affordable for the high-priced Teslas, contributing to the record of billions of dollars of TSLA corporate loses.

First Model 3 motor failure reported, Tesla engineers on their way to investigate

An early Tesla Model 3 owner has reported that the motor in his Model 3 suddenly failed, leaving the car inoperable.

TeslaWeekly has been in direct contact with the owner of the vehicle and has learned more details.

The owner of the Model 3, Stephen Day, had driven the car about 270 miles since taking delivery. He explains to Tesla Weekly, “The wife took it down the street 2 miles away to a meeting to show it off. She had a friend in it and was accelerating a little hard and it made a loud thud, like she hit something.”

He continues, “Then she lost all all propulsion and got the error on the screen that it needs serviced and may not start again. She pulled over and called support. Tried rebooting, powering off and on, walking away and coming back, etc.”

“They suspected it was a fuse. Hauled it off to the service center.” However, the technicians and service advisor at his local service center later confirmed that the motor had failed.

http://teslaweekly.com/first-model-3-motor-failure-reported-tesla-engineers-on-their-way-to-investigate/

Is the sky falling again?

edatoakrun said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:

Tesla should've continued using an induction motor, or when switching to a PM motor not used JB Weld to attach the magnets
to the rotor. :D

lorenfb said:
Tesla should've continued using an induction motor, or when switching to a PM motor not used JB Weld to attach the magnets to the rotor. :D
Hey, what's wrong with JB Weld? ;)

On a serious note, let's hope that Tesla did not choose to glue the magnets to the outside of the rotor. IMO, that would be a mistake in terms of reliability and this type of failure will not be uncommon. It is much better to protect the permanent magnets by placing them inside the rotor where they are fully captive. This approach also provides higher efficiency at high speeds and much higher overload capability.

Are there any photographs of the rotors of the Model 3 around somewhere?

lorenfb said:
edatoakrun said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:

Tesla should've continued using an induction motor, or when switching to a PM motor not used JB Weld to attach the magnets
to the rotor. :D

They will be using both PM and induction on some models. But I like how we have conclusions not even knowing what was the cause of the issue and if it was even the motor or just the contactor opening. I guess that applies to Nissan as well since they actually had motor failures on their lower power motors. Of course this will be the end of Tesla right? Like how Nissan failed before they corrected their pack issues? Wait, they still have not corrected that issue, I was confusing it with the defective PDM units that caused hundreds of LEAFs to have charging failures. More FUD cherry picking. I do know something that JB weld would help with however.

RegGuheert said:
lorenfb said:
Tesla should've continued using an induction motor, or when switching to a PM motor not used JB Weld to attach the magnets to the rotor. :D

On a serious note, let's hope that Tesla did not choose to glue the magnets to the outside of the rotor. IMO, that would be a mistake in terms of reliability and this type of failure will not be uncommon. It is much better to protect the permanent magnets by placing them inside the rotor where they are fully captive. This approach also provides higher efficiency at high speeds and much higher overload capability.

You would think that something that's so staightforward/intuitive would be the design approach taken, but maybe not.

lorenfb said:
RegGuheert said:
lorenfb said:

You would think that something that's so staightforward/intuitive would be the design approach taken, but maybe not.

Or perhaps the motor is made of straw and clay? Too much of this thread is fed by your nonsense speculation, FUD and baiting. More and more you are sounding like an astroturfer.

Here is something you still not have done:

https://www.tesla.com/support/test-drive

No well-managed auto manufacture would ever launch any new vehicle, much less one the very existence of the company depended on, using a new motor design like the model 3's, without millions of miles of durability testing.

Maybe TSLA will get lucky, and the new motors will be found be much more dependable than the previous model S/X design it has been unable to make reliable over the last five years of customer testing...

EVDRIVER said:
....Here is something you still not have done:

No one has:

...Model 3 test drives are not yet available...

edatoakrun said:
No well-managed auto manufacture would ever launch any new vehicle, much less one the very existence of the company depended on, using a new motor design like the model 3's, without millions of miles of durability testing.

Maybe TSLA will get lucky, and the new motors will be found be much more dependable than the previous model S/X design it has been unable to make reliable over the last five years of customer testing...

EVDRIVER said:
....Here is something you still not have done:

No one has:

...Model 3 test drives are not yet available...

Yes, people have test driven Model 3 cars and not those of owners. However I was referring to my many posts that Lorenfb ignores about ever driving any Tesla product. Prob can't even look at one passing on the freeway :roll: We can all chip in in for a vinyl LEAF body wrap that looks like a Model 3.

edatoakrun said:

The well-managed adjective aside (which is your opinion), you're right...no auto manufacturer (other than Tesla) would ever launch any radically new vehicles (no additional qualifiers needed) and maybe that's exactly the problem.

Go ahead and show me an automaker (well-managed in your opinion or not) that is actually making significant, sustained, and accelerating progress in transitioning the world to electric transportation.

lpickup said:
edatoakrun said:

The well-managed adjective aside (which is your opinion), you're right...no auto manufacturer (other than Tesla) would ever launch any radically new vehicles (no additional qualifiers needed) and maybe that's exactly the problem.

Go ahead and show me an automaker (well-managed in your opinion or not) that is actually making significant, sustained, and accelerating progress in transitioning the world to electric transportation.

Nissan did extensive testing in high temp conditions on the LEAF pack, remember that:) Perhaps they forgot to test leaving it parked at high SOC levels. I was just on the freeway behind a M3 and I think I saw some PM magnets shoot out the back under the car. It's going to start cascading fast I hear. Keep your sunroofs closed magnets are in the air and the sky is falling!

RegGuheert said:
Tesla Pushes Back Standard Model 3 Deliveries To Late 2018, Early 2019
InsideEVs said:
It’s believed that Tesla is making this timeline change due to mounting losses, which it reports on the Model 3 too. If Tesla struggles to turn a profit on a ~$55,000 Model 3, then it surely can’t be expected to make money off the base $35,000 3.

Likely in part because of the very high demand and switch to AWD orders recently.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/tesla-q4-2017-earnings.html

RegGuheert said:
InsideEVs said:
It’s believed that Tesla is making this timeline change due to mounting losses, which it reports on the Model 3 too. If Tesla struggles to turn a profit on a ~$55,000 Model 3, then it surely can’t be expected to make money off the base $35,000 3.
Time for those claiming to have actually been expecting their ~$35,000 model 3's in "early 2018" to check in to pledge their unwavering support for TSLA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_b3oPslctA

"Where the devil are those douchebags?"

RegGuheert said:
InsideEVs said:

This issue, i.e. whether a $35K M3 will ever be profitable for Tesla, was recently discussed extensively. The sad part is that a high percentage
of the reservations were based on a $35K deliverable M3 when announced in 2016.

lorenfb said:
RegGuheert said:
InsideEVs said:

This issue, i.e. whether a $35K M3 will ever be profitable for Tesla, was recently discussed extensively. The sad part is that a high percentage
of the reservations were based on a $35K deliverable M3 when announced in 2016.

Not sure how you would know that information unless you work for Tesla. Empirical evidence from crowd-sourced sources actually says just the opposite. But feel free to believe whatever you want.

edatoakrun said:
Time for those claiming to have actually been expecting their ~$35,000 model 3's in "early 2018" to check in to pledge their unwavering support for TSLA...

It will be ready when its ready. If Tesla wants to roll out the D before the standard pack, I'm ok with that. I understand their reasoning for doing it. Higher profit on the more optioned models, and keep selling to the Model S/X owners, and not new to the Tesla family just yet. I'm one of those and I'll gladly wait for them to work through the ramp issues.

You were doing a much better job of concealing your disdain for Tesla earlier. Its really shining out in the bright sunlight lately.

The Tesla astroturfers are out swinging. Lorenfb has all the inside numbers updated nightly along with other trusted financial experts at inside EVs. Not enough JB weld to patch the leaks or clay to glue the magnets.

Back