Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
lpickup said:
edatoakrun said:
Will someone explain to me why TSLA is even building a RWD model 3?

Late to the discussion here...

Other than the potential for increased range, I have absolutely zero need for AWD.

... because the 310 mile range of the long range Model 3 is actually more than I expected/needed for trips, it would be a pretty tough sell for someone like me.
Maybe not so tough.

Once the # AWD base model battery 3 range is announced, you'll decide that it has all the range you need.

If so, you may save ~$5k to $6k when you buy, and due to the increased efficiency, you'll definitely save more $ every time you charge.

I think the gap between the short and long range options is too big to span with AWD, particularly since my requirements are more towards the higher end. I figure I need 250 miles range minimum, and 280 is my sweet spot. I really can't see AWD even getting me up to the minimum (but if it did, sure, I'd be willing to evaluate).

I give elon some credit for being far more willing than donald to occasionally reverse his tweets and allow sanity to prevail.

Tesla’s upcoming SUV will hit roads sooner thanks to Elon Musk giving up a ‘crazy’ idea
Aug. 3, 20

Chief executive Elon Musk said in an earning calls Monday that the electric carmaker’s upcoming Model Y SUV would be built off the engineering architecture of the Model 3, Tesla’s entry-level vehicle. This is a reversal from Musk’s decision several months ago to create an all-new battery architecture for the compact SUV, an expensive and time consuming process.

The Model Y had been slated for release in 2019 or 2020. Though that date hasn’t yet been revised, Musk attributed his about-face to a desire to get more Model Ys on the road more quickly and thanked his executive team for “reeling [me] back from the cliffs of insanity.”...
https://moneyish.com/splurge/teslas-upcoming-suv-will-hit-roads-sooner-thanks-to-elon-musk-giving-up-a-crazy-idea/

So, anyone out there want a RWD, rather than AWD, Y?

edatoakrun said:

LOL! Well, for the same reasons I stated previously, if I did want an SUV (I don't), I would probably want it for reasons for carrying cargo and passengers, not climbing mountains and off-roading, so my stance on RWD vs AWD would not change dramatically.

http://insideevs.com/tesla-q2-2017-model-3-reservations-455k/

Model 3 Reservation Correction
The big news is a correction from CEO Elon Musk. While addressing a question about the Supercharger network, he suddenly diverted to state that he had misspoke on Friday when he had told some journalists that the company had 500,000 Model 3 reservations in hand. In fact, that number should have been 455,000. Altogether, they had received as many as 518,000 bookings, after factoring in 63,000 cancellations over the past year, the net number is somewhat lower. Still, I think most would agree this new number is not too shabby.

When we reported the 2Q earnings earlier today, we mentioned that we had expected some amount of churn in the days following the handover event — that is to say, a number of people would drop their reservations while others would make new ones. But, while the report mentioned the company had received 1,800 new Model 3 reservations a day, we didn’t realize that this was a net number, meaning this was the number of new reservations after accounting for dropped ones. So again, not too shabby.

scottf200 said:
http://insideevs.com/tesla-q2-2017-model-3-reservations-455k/

Model 3 Reservation Correction
The big news is a correction from CEO Elon Musk. While addressing a question about the Supercharger network, he suddenly diverted to state that he had misspoke on Friday when he had told some journalists that the company had 500,000 Model 3 reservations in hand. In fact, that number should have been 455,000. Altogether, they had received as many as 518,000 bookings, after factoring in 63,000 cancellations over the past year, the net number is somewhat lower...
P. 7 of the balance sheet, "Liabilities..." released yesterday tells a somewhat different story.

"Customer deposits" declined from ~$664 m to ~$604 m over the six months ending on 6/30/17.

So, if 3 deposits were increasing over this time, it looks like X and S deposits must have declined quite significantly.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/4921217400x0x952053/F302D22F-FC9B-41A3-9534-60D0032673CC/TSLA_Update_Letter_2017-2Q.pdf

Since the 3 has a new motor the AWD may not be more efficient as they may use the same motor up front because it is already a PM. The AWD 3 is likely going to be a performance play not an efficiency play like the S but this is still TBD. I know there were many issues (blown motors, etc) designing the new motor for max performance so building a smaller version would mean the benefit of only some range gain and traction. Seems if they can they would use the same motor up front for a D and P version of the car. In this case it would not be more efficient, just heavier.

Wonder how deep that trunk space goes? It's HxWxL looks bigger than what was in the X.

xtsQ00P.jpg

scottf200 said:
Wonder how deep that trunk space goes? It's HxWxL looks bigger than what was in the X.

]

I can get you that measurement if you need it but I won't be able to until next week.

EVDRIVER said:
scottf200 said:
I can get you that measurement if you need it but I won't be able to until next week.
It is not critical for me. It just looks deceptively tall and deep (bump to 2nd row measurement). Seems like this would be very useful for luggage and many other things. Very different than an ICE cars trunk (A4, 330i, etc).

While on the topic of Model 3 luggage space, it seems the Model 3 has a very small yet useful frunk:

https://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-3-frunk-is-a-triumph-of-marketing-1797396175

edatoakrun said:
I give elon some credit for being far more willing than donald to occasionally reverse his tweets and allow sanity to prevail.

Tesla’s upcoming SUV will hit roads sooner thanks to Elon Musk giving up a ‘crazy’ idea
Aug. 3, 20

Chief executive Elon Musk said in an earning calls Monday that the electric carmaker’s upcoming Model Y SUV would be built off the engineering architecture of the Model 3, Tesla’s entry-level vehicle. This is a reversal from Musk’s decision several months ago to create an all-new battery architecture for the compact SUV, an expensive and time consuming process.

The Model Y had been slated for release in 2019 or 2020. Though that date hasn’t yet been revised, Musk attributed his about-face to a desire to get more Model Ys on the road more quickly and thanked his executive team for “reeling [me] back from the cliffs of insanity.”...
https://moneyish.com/splurge/teslas-upcoming-suv-will-hit-roads-sooner-thanks-to-elon-musk-giving-up-a-crazy-idea/

Hallelujah, somebody was able to pound some sense into him! Or, as I put it less than a month ago in another topic,
I believe putting the Model Y on its own platform instead of doing what everyone else does and basing it on an existing one (the Model 3) will prove a costly mistake.
Now if we can just get him to definitely ditch the FWD for the Y. As to RWD vs. AWD, as long as I continue skiing and need to avoid getting a ticket for not having chains on, AWD it is. If that were to change, then sure, I'd do without the AWD - I have no need of it on the occasional dirt roads I drive. Actually, whether with or without AWD I'd prefer a wagon rather than CUV body, like an A3/A4 wagon or Golf Sportwagen. Why ride in something jacked up with more drag if you don't need the extra clearance, when what you really care about is cargo height?

GRA said:
...I'd prefer a wagon rather than CUV body, like an A3/A4 wagon or Golf Sportwagen...

Based on a separate Y platform and likely extended development time, I was preparing to move on the Model 3 reservation. Sharing the M3 platform should allow the Y more rapidly into production, and it’s tempting to wait. My hesitation is there is no vision for what the Y will be. I would also prefer a wagon sooner over an SUV later. Any talk of falcon doors, or fastback style would let me move on the smaller, less expensive M3.

EVDRIVER said:
AWD Model 3 will be the performance 3 and will be required unlike on the S. All S and X models will only be AWD to segment them. Has anyone noticed that the air suspension is standard on all 3 cars and was a $2500 option on an S?
link?
I haven't seen anything about the suspension for the Model 3.
I'll take your word for it on the AWD==Performance. Seems like a logical way to avoid too many permutations.
Maybe Tesla will slate the Model Y as AWD from base model on up.

drees said:
EVDRIVER said:
Has anyone noticed that the air suspension is standard on all 3 cars and was a $2500 option on an S?
I thought the 3 had coil springs, not air...

That's one of the most unreliable options on Porsches, BMWs, & MBs! It's an easy $1500 repair per wheel.

lorenfb said:
drees said:
EVDRIVER said:
Has anyone noticed that the air suspension is standard on all 3 cars and was a $2500 option on an S?

That's one of the most unreliable options on Porsches, BMWs, & MBs! It's an easy $1500 repair per wheel.

***Correction- The first production general release 3 cars will all have springs then there will be an option for air suspension. Yes. air can be a high repair, on the S it is very nice to have because the car easily bottoms out and nose dives into driveways, etc. I would not buy a car with air unless I was going to get rid of it before the warranty ran out.

Despite a late reservation, tesla says (I know lots of asterisks) I should be able to get my car next summer. I imagine I won't be there in time for the $7500 rebate, but at least I can get half of it.

I would consider another leaf, but it would have to be much quicker than the current one. I know 200+ miles is a given, and I know it will be quicker than the current one. Nonetheless, despite that I would still prefer a tesla because I don't believe the 2018 leaf is going to have as much autonomous driving abilities, nor the ability to upgrade them as they are released over the air. I believe autonomous driving is a bigger game changer than EV and so that is where I'm putting my attention.

EVDRIVER said:
lorenfb said:
drees said:

***Correction- The first production general release 3 cars will all have springs then there will be an option for air suspension. Yes. air can be a high repair, on the S it is very nice to have because the car easily bottoms out and nose dives into driveways, etc. I would not buy a car with air unless I was going to get rid of it before the warranty ran out.
+100. The same comment applies to heavy, unnecessary, unreliable and expensive Falcon Wing Doors which also decrease the car's flexibility, which is why the Model Y has to be available without them for me to consider it. My current Subie turns fourteen and a half tomorrow, the same age as its predecessor when that car was stolen, and I fully expect it to last me 20+ years if necessary; all my cars (barring the stolen '88 Subie) have reached that age or beyond.

I believe it was the S/X base configuration that was recently changed to include air suspension.

Back