Official Ford C-MAX Energi PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This video has some bits and pieces from some prior Ford C-Max video releases but a few more closeups of the interior as well as a quick shot of the rear deck (can definitely see the 'bump' from the batteries); again this is the hybrid not Energi but at least it's the U.S. version

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K0Y5Ie-4i0[/youtube]

I got to drive the C-MAX EV at the Mother Earth News fest the other day. Very nice car. I would consider it, especially if we start having battery issues in South Florida. I didn't get to sit in the back seat though to check out the legroom and headroom. I was a little rushed to get into a seminar.

redLEAF said:
Short video on the rear storage area for C-Max hybrid, a few Ford dealers nearby have announced they have these in stock (not the Energi model yet) in last Sundays auto section, as the Energi loses 5 cu ft more not sure how useful the space will be compared to the regular hybrid which looks OK but not very large ...
Great video showing off the rear hatch space.

Available space appears to be a decent amount larger than my '08 Prius and than the LEAF which I find similar (though the LEAF's space is more awkward to fit large items in to). I suspect that the Energi will reduce that space to a similar amount of space as the LEAF.

Which is too bad - if they could increase hatch space 5 cu/ft on each I think they'd eliminate any space issues potential customers of each may have - as it is - the reduced space of the Energi in particular may be a deal breaker for many families.

drees said:
redLEAF said:
Short video on the rear storage area for C-Max hybrid, a few Ford dealers nearby have announced they have these in stock (not the Energi model yet) in last Sundays auto section, as the Energi loses 5 cu ft more not sure how useful the space will be compared to the regular hybrid which looks OK but not very large ...

Available space appears to be a decent amount larger than my '08 Prius and than the LEAF which I find similar (though the LEAF's space is more awkward to fit large items in to). I suspect that the Energi will reduce that space to a similar amount of space as the LEAF.

Which is too bad - if they could increase hatch space 5 cu/ft on each I think they'd eliminate any space issues potential customers of each may have - as it is - the reduced space of the Energi in particular may be a deal breaker for many families.

Quite true -- we shouldn't expect too much though as the C-Max is based on the smaller Focus platform, in my own case a vehicle like this would need to serve as a utility and trip and 2nd commute (winter) car so having extra storage is quite important.

drees said:
redLEAF said:

not sure i see your concern. the Energi will have the hump just like the LEAF does but the remaining room is enough to line up near full size suitcases. not sure of the exact dimensions or what the fold down will look like which is the only concern i have. to be honest with ya, the fold down we dont use a lot since we usually have a back seat passenger

Edmunds just added a quick video that shows the storage area as well ... stopped by a Ford dealer Sunday (they're closed here in IL) just to take another look at overall size outside of a trade show hall ... the C-Max isn't all that big on the outside based on its Focus platform. The dealer had two SE's and an SEL on the lot (Arlington Heights Ford). Unfortunately, I think its just going to be too small for what I want but could be a step up to the space in my LEAF down the road but that's (hopefully) quite a few years away. I'd like better utility as we sometimes travel with a lot of stuff and 4 people and as I've got the megaspace of a VW Routan (Chrysler T&C clone --- one of my ICE cars) so have to be realistic; better batteries, etc. down the road will be worth the wait but there will always be a space trade-off. What's encouraging is that many mfg's are using tech to get better mpg as well as not shrinking things too much --- took a look at the '13 Acura RDX which went from a turbo 4 to V6 and actually gets more space and better mileage so we'll see. It's great to see more alternatives

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVEPhGMumdU[/youtube]

Darell posted this on insideev.

- Unlike what I had thought, when the seats are folded there is no flat floor.
- The trunk floor seems to be about 9 inches higher.

2013_ford_c-max_energi_06-984.jpg

Lyle Dennis (of GM-Volt.com and the Chevy Volt CAB) is getting ready to ditch his Volt for a C-MAX. Not that he's dissatisfied with his Volt in any particular way. Just that he feels the need for fifth passenger seating now his kids are that little bit older.

mwalsh said:
Lyle Dennis (of GM-Volt.com and the Chevy Volt CAB) is getting ready to ditch his Volt for a C-MAX. Not that he's dissatisfied with his Volt in any particular way. Just that he feels the need for fifth passenger seating now his kids are that little bit older.

Yes - I got the above link from that thread.

Volt is basically a car for, it seems, empty nesters.

evnow said:
- The trunk floor seems to be about 9 inches higher.

Yes, that was one bad thing I noticed. I needed to stow my backpack somewhere for the test drive, and when he popped the hatch I wasn't even sure it would fit. :? I wasn't sure if it was just an organizer they had installed, like available for the Leaf, or if it was normally that limited in height.

evnow said:
Not true at all. Lot of parents on gm-volt.com as well as grand parents. There have been various discussions of related to child seats, small children, etc. I carried around my two college kids when we would go out for dinner or some other place within a reasonable distance. Not a vacation car with grown kids tho.

scottf200 said:
evnow said:
Not true at all. Lot of parents on gm-volt.com as well as grand parents. There have been various discussions of related to child seats, small children, etc. I carried around my two college kids when we would go out for dinner or some other place within a reasonable distance. Not a vacation car with grown kids tho.

Strap 'em to the roof, Romney style! :D

Just an fyi, I saw one on fire near Wayne Assembly on Michigan Ave and I275 (where they take them on a short test drive usually). Expecting the news to pick this up tonight. My dashcam was off though, so no exciting footage.

I see these every day tearing out of the factory. They seem to be quick little cars. Not good that a brand new one burst into flames like that though.

evnow said:

What seems to you, isn't the case for others. Volt has been a workhorse for family of 3. We do have SUV as well, but even for weekend outings I prefer taking Volt for obvious reasons. Perhaps, if there were 4 of us, I would have to think twice about getting a small car.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
Lot of parents on gm-volt.com as well as grand parents.
Wouldn't grand parents qualify to be empty nesters.
Yes, but they still haul the grandkids around and it was part of their purchase decision that they could. It worked out well for several. Various post on this.

Or ... no, because the kids and grandkids may have moved back in!!

evnow said:

HAHA we bought the Volt specifically with the thought of having a kid in the future! It replaced an Audi TT. While it did have a "back seat" it was so tiny it was not really functional. At least I can stuff a kid and excess junk in the Volt. Granted I don't have any kids right now and may be delusional on how much space is needed, but visting other places outside the US and seeing them contend with smaller vehicles for kids, I think we can manage!

but the Volt #1 fan just jumped ship. First he bought a Leaf to be the Volt's companion and now the Volt is out and the Ford is replacing it...specifically because he wanted room for his kids.

http://gm-volt.com/2012/10/09/lyle-dennis-is-trading-in-his-volt-for-a-ford-c-max-energi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmermd said:
but the Volt #1 fan just jumped ship. First he bought a Leaf to be the Volt's companion and now the Volt is out and the Ford is replacing it...specifically because he wanted room for his kids.

http://gm-volt.com/2012/10/09/lyle-dennis-is-trading-in-his-volt-for-a-ford-c-max-energi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No surprise here, with 3 kids extra space is much needed... Too bad Ford decided to give 20 mile range only, I would've considered it as well. Has there been any real world driving range results? I wonder what range you would get in winter time at freeway speeds.

Back