Official Ford C-MAX Energi PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mxp said:
Bigger trunk space than the Leaf.
Has anyone seen the trunk of the Energi? A dealer nearby has a hybrid, but not the Energi. I hope the Energi trunk is better than the FFE.

nogajim said:
mxp said:
Has anyone seen the trunk of the Energi? A dealer nearby has a hybrid, but not the Energi. I hope the Energi trunk is better than the FFE.

since there are none to look at, i will answer for the masses and say..." No"

not out till Jan i am afraid but will supposedly have a small bump for battery stuff so slightly smaller storage area than the hybrid. i am guessing will look similar to LEAF bump

DaveinOlyWA said:
nogajim said:
mxp said:

not out till Jan i am afraid but will supposedly have a small bump for battery stuff so slightly smaller storage area than the hybrid. i am guessing will look similar to LEAF bump

Lot's of speculation, can say that I saw both side by side at a car show but both were locked, the 'bump' will take a cubic ft or so and the rear seat may differ a bit. I'd compare it to putting a big sub woofer back there but one you couldn't take out!

DaveinOlyWA said:
nogajim said:
mxp said:

Just as a random thing, the Ford rep says we should have an Energi "shortly" (we are going to buy it), and will do a first drive, review/photo thing shortly thereafter at the site.

Will make sure to take note of the trunk.

Statik said:
Just as a random thing, the Ford rep says we should have an Energi "shortly" (we are going to buy it), and will do a first drive, review/photo thing shortly thereafter at the site.

Cool. Looking forward to it.

BTW, what does "shortly" mean at Ford - days/weeks/months ?

mxp said:
And, it seats 3 in the back seat unlike the Volt. Bigger trunk space than the Leaf. It qualifies for CA carpool lanes; it will also qualify for an additional $1,500 CA state rebate. Just under $30k.

I think it's a winner! ;-)

Winner? I highly doubt. Personally, I would take more electric range over 1 extra seat that will be cramped and most likely will never get used.

evnow said:
Statik said:

Cool. Looking forward to it.

BTW, what does "shortly" mean at Ford - days/weeks/months ?

Early to mid-October it looks like at this point...just putting it/delivery together now, will be able to nail it down more precisely soon. I'll keep the thread updated as to the progress.

Anyone have any reservations/worries about the Energi?

My primary one so far is how much trunk space will be lost to the larger battery... Since the car would be used as a road-trip car, having as much trunk space as possible would be nice...

Trunk capacity of comparable vehicles (all specs pulled from manuf sites):

Prius v: 34.3 cu.ft.
C-MAX Hybrid: 24.5 cu.ft.
Prius 21.6 cu.ft.
C-MAX Energi: 19.2 cu.ft.
Fusion: 16.0 cu.ft.
Camry: 15.4 cu.ft.
LEAF 14.5 cu.ft.
Camry hybrid: 13.1 cu.ft.
Fusion hybrid: 12.0 cu.ft.
Volt: 10.6 cu.ft.

While 19.2 cu.ft. sounds nice when comparing to mid-size sedans, I suspect that means blocking the rear window which I really don't like doing if possible...

I suppose we'll find out soon enough when Statik gets his review vehicle.

with the C-Max Hybrid they just raised the cargo floor about 3 inches (from looking at the pictures) so my guess the Energy will just raise the floor a bit more or perhaps split the pack up.. I'm ok with that as long as they retain a flat floor.

drees said:
Anyone have any reservations/worries about the Energi?

My primary one so far is how much trunk space will be lost to the larger battery... Since the car would be used as a road-trip car, having as much trunk space as possible would be nice...

Trunk capacity of comparable vehicles (all specs pulled from manuf sites):

Prius v: 34.3 cu.ft.
C-MAX Hybrid: 24.5 cu.ft.
Prius 21.6 cu.ft.
C-MAX Energi: 19.2 cu.ft.
Fusion: 16.0 cu.ft.
Camry: 15.4 cu.ft.
LEAF 14.5 cu.ft.
Camry hybrid: 13.1 cu.ft.
Fusion hybrid: 12.0 cu.ft.
Volt: 10.6 cu.ft.

While 19.2 cu.ft. sounds nice when comparing to mid-size sedans, I suspect that means blocking the rear window which I really don't like doing if possible...

I suppose we'll find out soon enough when Statik gets his review vehicle.

great comparison for sizes. the real data we need is not volume (which i consider a bit useless...sorry) but dimensions.

i talked with someone who supposedly has seen the Energi and he states its a bit wider, taller and a few inches longer than the Prius and that was by design as they did the CMax with the Prius and not the LEAF in mind but will have a bump that looks "exactly" like the LEAF bump (he saw mine)

obviously without a tape measure, statements like "exactly" should not be taken literally but guessing that means no flat fold down seat storage and that the extra volume means no spare tire, etc.

he also clarified that final interior specs were not finalized. he was driving a C Max hybrid and which looked to me a whole look like an Newer Escape only a bit narrower and shorter.

Energi will have a flat cargo space when the seats are down.

The way Ford does it is to add a flat floor to the trunk and leave any uneven space as extra space below that trunk floor. C-Max Hybrid has that.

So, Energi, I suspect will use some of the unused below the trunk floor space from the Hybrid and raise the floor by a further couple of inches. In the photos it looked like the floor was in level with the bottom of the side windows.

DaveinOlyWA said:
wow, that is not very low
See this Hybrid photo. The floor of the trunk is just below the window line ...

Edit : Is this the top of the trunk, rather than the floor ?

13CMAX-Hybrid_16.jpg

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
wow, that is not very low
See this Hybrid photo. The floor of the trunk is just below the window line ...

Edit : Is this the top of the trunk, rather than the floor ?

13CMAX-Hybrid_16.jpg

cargo cover or something. the floor height of the back is about the same as... well any other car; Prius, LEAF, etc.

**edit** to be honest with ya; i dont really remember other than if it was significantly different from most cars, i am pretty sure it would have stuck out in my mind

Came across this photo that shows the C-Max 'storage' area (seats folded), but take a closer look, there is a 3rd set of seat belts back there so this is for the 7-passenger that we don't get (or is hybrid or PHEV); too bad as this looks pretty spacious:

2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-interior-view.jpg

there is a 3rd set of what??
where am i supposed to be looking to see this?

those belt loops you see are quick releases to get the seat back to the up position. all new lift back Fords with fold down rear seating have them

Think that he's mentioning the third row of seats for the European version of the regular ICE Ford Grand C-Max, which has seating for 7. His picture shows the back seats of the vehicle and if you look at the top center of the photo, you'll see two seatbelts on either side of the triangular corner window.

This vehicle is not the same as the C-max that is going to be released in the United States, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the photo with regards to trunk space and other issues regarding the C-max Hybrid/Energi.

waitingforaleaf said:
Think that he's mentioning the third row of seats for the European version of the regular ICE Ford Grand C-Max, which has seating for 7. His picture shows the back seats of the vehicle and if you look at the top center of the photo, you'll see two seatbelts on either side of the triangular corner window.

This vehicle is not the same as the C-max that is going to be released in the United States, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the photo with regards to trunk space and other issues regarding the C-max Hybrid/Energi.

... you got it, but interestingly enough the site with that photo had the euro version but was talking about the hybrid (U.S.) one which isn't available over there ... I guess many 'assumed' they would be close to identical but they aren't (the 7-passenger has sliding side doors for example, the 5-passenger we get does not). Will still be looking for better photos of the 'storage' areas for both the hybrid and energi

http://blog.onecarspot.com/ford-c-max-hybrid-2013/

redLEAF said:
... you got it, but interestingly enough the site with that photo had the euro version but was talking about the hybrid (U.S.) one which isn't available over there ... I guess many 'assumed' they would be close to identical but they aren't (the 7-passenger has sliding side doors for example, the 5-passenger we get does not). Will still be looking for better photos of the 'storage' areas for both the hybrid and energi
Yes - Ford created a lot of confusion with the naming. It would have been much better had they picked a name other than C-Max, given the basic differences. But then, Ford had earlier planned to have a gas C-Max too in the US.

Back