Official Cadillac ELR thread - a luxury version of the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
It probably would still NOT be suitable for a $76K luxury car though.

I think you have just cracked GM's circular logic: It shouldn't be a $76k luxury car, so the E L R could have done with out active noise cancellation, but it IS a $76k luxury car, so it needed it. Or something like that :lol:

Again, the price is immaterial. Nobody is going to buy this car. The question is what's the lease payment.

If anything a higher price is what gives it its appeal. Like the maybach.

Which they sold or leased almost none of over its run... It was a disastrous and expensive mistake for MB. Same with the Phaeton for VW.

LTLFTcomposite said:
If anything a higher price is what gives it its appeal. Like the maybach.

LTLFTcomposite said:
EvansvilleLeaf said:
Everybody's situation is different but a comfortable (sadly eliminates the Volt) 30+ mile PHEV is about my ideal.
Why does that eliminate the Volt? Because you think the car is not comfortable, or because it won't comfortably go that far?

You mentioned the occasional long trip. Conventional EV wisdom says you rent a car for those times, but really that's a PITA, and I bet Leaf owners renting cars are few and far between. If I have to pick someone up at the Miami airport (100 miles RT) seriously, I'm not going to waste time dealing with picking up and returning a rental car.

Volt is not comfortable for me to enter, has too little upward steering wheel travel, awkward ergonomics, and grates alarmingly going over the large kerbs that are the norm where I live.

I currently have other cars for long trips, but a comfy PHEV would eventually allow me to keep only one when I retire. Without that option I'd either EV and rent or buy a reliable used car only for long trips

For the first time, I recharged in someone's driveway after finding them on Plugshare.

The gentleman came out and was very nice.

He told me he ended up buying his Volt because he was looking for a Cadillac. He had always owned German cars, but had heard good things about a recent Cadillac model.

All he knew was that Cadillac was a GM, so he saw the GM emblem and stopped at a dealership. The dealer only sold Chevy and Buick, but suggested a Volt for a test drive and the shopper was hooked by the quiet and smooth ride.

Otherwise, he would never have considered anything electric. Hopefully, the ELR will accelerate this type of process.

Wow, a truly informed consumer! :lol:

Berlino said:
All he knew was that Cadillac was a GM, so he saw the GM emblem and stopped at a dealership. The dealer only sold Chevy and Buick, but suggested a Volt for a test drive and the shopper was hooked by the quiet and smooth ride.

TomT said:
Wow, a truly informed consumer! :lol:

Berlino said:

Whatever gets the word out to the unwashed masses. Somebody else will see this guys car and perhaps also think an EV must be OK, regardless of where he buys it from.

Lucky that worked out. The first time I test drove a volt the battery must have been deader than dead, because the engine kicked on as soon as the car was turned on. Not so impressive. I've never seen that happen on mine.
Not to mention the salesman was as knowledgable as a sack of hammers about the car. All he wanted to do was show me how good the stereo sounded.

LTLFTcomposite said:
If I have to pick someone up at the Miami airport (100 miles RT) seriously, I'm not going to waste time dealing with picking up and returning a rental car.

GetAround is pretty nice. Super convenient for the one-off trips.

I was driving to work this week when at a stoplight a current cadillac owner signaled to roll down my window. He asked if I had a minute to pull over and talk about the Volt and ELR. I did and we talked for a while. I let him test drive the Volt. He actually had ordered an ELR that is coming in Jan/Feb. We exchanged numbers and I'm going for a ride when he gets it. Looking forward to how it performs and some of the cool features. Active Noise Cancellation for one.

^ At one point I counted like 75 people I had let test drive my Leaf, but you sir are a true EVangelist to accommodate a stranger who waved you down at a traffic light!

So you didn't bring it up in the conversation that he's a fool to spend that kind of money on a PHEV when he could get a Model S for that? :)

Hey the only bad ev publicity is no publicity. (well ok, the tesla fire stuff is bad)

Wouldn't we rather see Saks buyers snapping up $90k ELRs than $90k dog collars?

LTLFTcomposite said:
Hey the only bad ev publicity is no publicity. (well ok, the tesla fire stuff is bad)

Wouldn't we rather see Saks buyers snapping up $90k ELRs than $90k dog collars?
Well, no, I'd rather see them donating the money to typhoon relief in the Philippines or some such, if they've really got money to burn. But enough of fantasy.

LTLFTcomposite said:
^ At one point I counted like 75 people I had let test drive my Leaf, but you sir are a true EVangelist to accommodate a stranger who waved you down at a traffic light!
I think once people sit in and drive any of the mass market plug-ins (BEV, PHEV, "EREV", etc) and understand how simple charging can be they are sold. It seems we should have an easy time convincing folks how easy it is to charge as most charger their phone every night and think that is convenient. They would not like to take their phone to a charging station on the corner once a week I'm guessing.
LTLFTcomposite said:
So you didn't bring it up in the conversation that he's a fool to spend that kind of money on a PHEV when he could get a Model S for that? :)
No, I've ridden in a Tesla S but have not ridden in a ELR so why would I try to push him to a Model S <grin>.

scottf200 said:
No, I've ridden in a Tesla S but have not ridden in a ELR so why would I try to push him to a Model S <grin>.
Probably because the Model S is 10X the car for the same money?

qwk said:
scottf200 said:
Obviously I'm a Tesla fan but you often are over the top and put many people off. I have you on my ignore list on the TMC site and you are about to go there here too because you never provide details just some outlandish remarks.

You need to provide specifics. As an example the ELR has Active Noise Cancellation so even on the highway the road noise is not impactful to the quiet and smooth ride.

It also has adaptive cruise control with crash mitigation, Lane Departure Warning, and a Side Blind Zone Alert system with Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

GRA said:
Submitted without further comment:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/08/cadillac-elr-saks-fifth-avenue-edition-official/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buyers will also receive an upgraded 240-volt charging station complete with professional installation

I'm hoping there's an owner of a 60th floor condo that kills GM with this clause.

If the condo association doesn't allow any connection to a common-area electrical panel, how much might it cost to wire a charging station from an underground lot to the 60th floor?

scottf200 said:
qwk said:
scottf200 said:
Obviously I'm a Tesla fan but you often are over the top and put many people off. I have you on my ignore list on the TMC site and you are about to go there here too because you never provide details just some outlandish remarks.

You need to provide specifics. As an example the ELR has Active Noise Cancellation so even on the highway the road noise is not impactful to the quiet and smooth ride.

It also has adaptive cruise control with crash mitigation, Lane Departure Warning, and a Side Blind Zone Alert system with Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
Some people don't like reality. I'm not one of them. If you have me on ignore, why in the world would you reply to one of my posts?

I'll be brutally honest here, I get a kick out of your license plate, but it's silly to say F-opec, and then turn around and buy a car that burns gasoline. To funny. I hate Opec too, but am smart enough to support the choice that uses no gasoline. That at least makes sense.

Back