Official Cadillac ELR thread - a luxury version of the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the looks of the interior... It's also considerably more powerful than the Volt. Price would be the biggest consideration for me as I believe that Cadillacs in general tend to be overpriced for what they are...

Thought they were excellent. SPORTs mode in the ELR (vs Volt) also adjust suspension.

NAIAS 2013: Cadillac ELR Reveal Remarks from Mark Adams and Bob Ferguson 2013-01-15
DETROIT – Mark Adams, executive director, Cadillac Global Design, and Bob Ferguson, vice president, Global Cadillac, addressed news media at the reveal of the 2014 Cadillac ELR extended-range electric vehicle on Tuesday at the North American International Auto Show.
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Jan/13naias/elr/0115-reveal-remarks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Electrified ELR’s Driving Experience is Pure Cadillac 2013-01-15
DETROIT – The 2014 Cadillac ELR electrified compact luxury coupe drives with the performance-bred DNA of all the brand’s vehicles, connecting the driver to the road with responsive driving dynamics expected from a Cadillac.
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Jan/13naias/elr/0115_ELR_drive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2014 Cadillac ELR Preliminary Specifications 2013-01-15

ELR : 207 hp (CD:135 kW, CS:154 kW) and 295 lb-ft (400 N-m) of torque and weighs 4,070 lbs
Volt: 149 hp (111 kW) and 273 lb-ft (370 N-m) of torque and weighs 3,781 lbs

There are a ton of features on this car.

The gm site announcement:
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/cad..._elr.html?goback=.gde_147033_member_204463876

Video: http://bcove.me/fxmkfcqh

Design:
  • Enhanced AT-PZEV emissions meet California’s criteria for single-occupancy access to high occupancy vehicle lanes
  • Light-emitting diode (LED) headlamps, daytime running lamps and taillamps, as well as signature front and rear lighting elements
  • Twenty-inch wheels paired with tires designed to balance responsive handling and a comfortable ride with efficiency
  • Interior design featuring cut-and-sew accented leather incorporating sueded microfiber, chrome, wood and available carbon fiber finishes throughout
  • Cadillac CUE with Navigation is standard. CUE is Cadillac’s breakthrough system for connectivity and control, using Natural Voice Recognition, capacitive touch and hand gestures used on smart phones and tablets
  • Programmable charging schedules and downloadable energy efficiency reports available online and through smartphone notification charging alerts
  • Cadillac’s advanced active safety features, including Safety Alert Seat, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning, along with available Side Blind Zone Alert with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and full-speed-range adaptive cruise control
  • Advanced chassis and suspension systems, including HiPer Strut front suspension, compound-crank with Watts link rear suspension and Continuous Damping Control, which adjusts damping every two milliseconds for optimal ride and handling in all conditions
  • Standard premium Bose 10-channel audio system with active noise cancellation.

Interior:
  • Eight-inch configurable instrument and driver information displays, offering four configurations ranging from elegantly simple to technologically enhanced information
  • Auto-glide/power-assisted covered storage/cup holder in the center console
  • Fold-down rear seat backs accommodate longer items, including multiple sets of golf clubs
  • LED-powered accent lighting in the instrument panel and doors
  • Available Opus semi-aniline leather seating.

Driving experience:
  • Wide front and rear tracks – 62.1 inches (1,578 mm) in front and 62.4 inches (1,585 mm) in the rear – along with a long wheelbase (106.1 inches / 2,695 mm) and a low center of gravity
  • HiPer Strut front suspension featuring lightweight forged aluminum components for reduced weight and more nimble, responsive action
  • Dual-pinion, rack-mounted electric power steering system with premium ZF steering gear designed to provide excellent feedback while helping to save fuel
  • A semi-independent rear compound-crank suspension with Watts link that incorporates weight-optimized trailing arms to absorb lateral forces, allowing the suspension to be tuned to handle vertical, forward and rearward motions
  • Hydraulic ride bushings in the front and rear suspensions
  • An electro-hydraulic regenerative brake system that captures energy and sends it to the battery pack
  • Standard chassis control systems include antilock brakes, traction control and StabiliTrak electronic stability control.

Already talked to the wife about this. We bought a 2013 Volkswagen CC 4motion Executive about 5 months ago, and it already has nearly 9000 miles. That was our primary car and it was getting 20mpg around town. Part of why we traded in her Audi for the Leaf was to get around-town driving to be more efficient. But we needed to keep my VW both because it was too new (negative equity) but also because we needed a long distance car. And for most of our in-town driving we have our kid with us (who is 5yrs old) so having a 4-door would be preferred-- making the Leaf a bit of a no-brainer.

However, we use my VW almost exclusively now for trips that are beyond the range of the Leaf. Being in Cleveland, Ohio there are NO QC options that I know of and even then they would not likely be on the routes we want. There are some L2 chargers that would work for us if we wanted to take the Leaf a bit farther but not enough to make it to say Columbus, Ohio (the state capital, and home to some great shopping, museums, etc). So we need one ICE in the family for this and family trips etc...

I've really been keen on the Volt, but the complaints about the electronics (nav/computer interface being bad) and other little things have left me not rushing to get out from my VW. I like the luxury image of my VW as I do take clients out occasionally but rarely. Coming from a $40k all-wheel-drive Volkswagen, it would be hard to step down to a Volt. HOWEVER, the Cadillac ELR seems a lot more upscale, with people like me in mind. Price is not the biggest factor as much as features, style, and overall drive-ability. I really like the dynamics this car offers, and feel the style is perfect. I've really loved what Cadillac has been doing with their style/image lately... and might really consider one of these when they come out!! Hard to believe I'd give up my German engineered autobahn machine ... but we'll see!!

Unfortunately the ELR is more than I can afford. It is however, a beautiful car and I hope it sells well as this will help in convincing the public that electric cars, even if they are extended range EVs, are real and are fully capable of replacing the current crop of gas guzzling vehicles.

Per Edmunds with some of the Volt vs ELR differences (and a few same things listed):
http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/elr/2014/features-specs.html

Front Seats
  • 8 -way power driver and passenger seat
  • Driver and passenger seat with power adjustable lumbar support
  • Multi-level heating driver and passenger seat
Comfort
  • Interior air filtration
  • Dual zone climate controls - driver and passenger
  • Leather and wood steering wheel
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Electrochromatic inside rearview mirror
Telematics
  • Hard drive based display w/voice directions navigation system
Roof and Glass
  • Speed sensitive wipers
Tires and Wheels
  • 18 x 8.0 in. wheels
  • Null spare wheel
  • P225/40R18 tires
  • Run flat tires [update 19Jan13] False per: http://www.mycadillacelr.com/2014-cadillac-elr-tires-high-performance-no-run-flats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • Tire repair kit
Safety Features
  • Daytime running lights
  • Engine immobilizer
  • Front fog/driving lights
  • Xenon high intensity discharge headlamp
  • Stability control
  • Traction control
  • Electronic brakeforce distribution
  • Emergency interior trunk release
  • Post-collision safety system
  • Passenger head restraint whiplash protection system
  • Driver head restraint whiplash protection system
  • Adaptive headlights

ELR : 207 hp (CD:135 kW, CS:154 kW) and 295 lb-ft (400 N-m) of torque and weighs 4,070 lbs
Volt: 149 hp (CD/CS:111 kW) and 273 lb-ft (370 N-m) of torque and weighs 3,781 lbs

GM is going in the wrong direction with this... pointless car in so many levels. Just shows how committed they are with the plugins.

IBELEAF said:
GM is going in the wrong direction with this... pointless car in so many levels. Just shows how committed they are with the plugins.
Indeed it does; GM is willing to offer a plug-in in their most prestigious nameplate. Cadillac has been coming closer than any other U.S. manufacturer to building world-class sedans to compete with BMW and Mercedes with their XTS and ATS, and their PHEV will be judged on how well it matches up with that crowd. Arguably, the Volt should have been designed and sold as a Cadillac from the start, given its price premium - it's definitely out of the Chevy range.

They are building to multiple groups of buyers with their EV/EREVs - so are others like Tesla

Luxury ...
2014-ELR-interior-2-550x256.jpg

2014-ELR-interior-rear-550x359.jpg

2014-ELR-interior-4-550x298.jpg

IBELEAF said:
GM is going in the wrong direction with this... pointless car in so many levels.
I agree this is the wrong direction, but disagree that this car is pointless. This should have been the first car. I think it will be moderately successful. And GM is showing some commitment to electric/hybrid development, which is more than we can say for other manufacturers other than Nissan and Tesla.

garsh said:
IBELEAF said:
GM is going in the wrong direction with this... pointless car in so many levels.
I agree this is the wrong direction, but disagree that this car is pointless. This should have been the first car. I think it will be moderately successful. And GM is showing some commitment to electric/hybrid development, which is more than we can say for other manufacturers other than Nissan and Tesla.

I don't know, I would much rather see GM build the CUV concept they showed a few years back then a luxury 2 door coupe that most people can't afford and has zero practicality.

chevy_volt_mpv.top_.jpg

IBELEAF said:
garsh said:
IBELEAF said:

I don't know, I would much rather see GM build the CUV concept they showed a few years back then a luxury 2 door coupe that most people can't afford and has zero practicality.

chevy_volt_mpv.top_.jpg
I'm with you on the wish for a AWD CUV version using the Voltec powertrain (but half the battery and no encroachment on cargo/pax. space), but that doesn't preclude using the Voltec powertrain elsewhere. The more platforms it's used on the more the price will drop, and GM can start to make a profit on the cars.

Not sure why it would be pointless. At worst you might say that the Volt makes it a bit redundant, as it adds not much more than a bit more power and some comfort and luxury upgrades to that car (of course same could be said for why Acura or Lexus sell pretty much anything, and some people value such upgrades). But what would make it pointless? How many cars carry 5 people? That's more than the average family. It can, if it at least equals the Volt, do the vast majority of days on pure EV and yet be a (likely very) comfortable long distance car on longer trips. Most people do not need AWD or towing or other excuses to buy an SUV and which are primarily design preferences no more, and no less, valid than buying an ELR over the Volt. Sure there's a small subset who need to get up ski slopes or across rocky streams and yet only have one car, but not everything has to be capable of doing so to have a point.

The ELR's point as I see it is a very valid one - to give people who want acar that is more refined and luxurious than a Volt that can handle both typical all day EV commuting duties, and long ICE trips. That's more than the 10 mile micro-battery hybrids can do, more obviously than our Leafs can do, and more than all ICEs can do. Pretty big point really.

Perhaps, my "luxuriousness" definition is different. Other then Cadillac badge and some new gadgetry (some which I would classify distracting then luxury these days) I don't see anything else that would make me want to pay the premium for this. It doesn't even offer performance that others cars offer at this price range, so, personally, if I wanted to spend that much I would look in Tesla's direction to get my "premium green fix".

IBELEAF said:
All car companies are limited by the platforms they have available. No different here. GM has a new platform for coming out that can be used for an EREV CUV but right now I don't think they have one. So I think we'll have to wait a while for the CUV.

I'm not following why a $60K Cadillac is too pricey but a $100K Model S isn't. I suspect that that the ELR will come in just about at the price of the bottom end Model S. As for practicality, one of those cars can go on a road trip and one can't. I'd think the one that could would be the more "practical".

Cadillac ELR Upsets Corvette Stingray For ‘Eyes On Design’ Award
by Manoli Katakis Jan 18th, 2013
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/01/cadillac-elr-upsets-corvette-stingray-for-eyes-on-design-award/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Eyes on Design awards are dished out every North American International Auto Show, usually as the last thing on the docket. And every year, one production car will walk away with an esteemed award, as will a concept car.

For production vehicles, there was a clear winner: the Cadillac ELR. Apparently voters found the lines the the plug-in luxury hybrid coupe to be cleaner, prettier and less noisy than the 2014 Corvette Stingray, which was the runner-up.
Notably, the Cadillac Converj concept also won an Eyes on Design award back in 2009, which as many of you know, is the very car the design of the ELR is based on.
DSC_5323-Custom-582x385.jpg

Photo Credit: Steven Pham

SanDust said:
IBELEAF said:
All car companies are limited by the platforms they have available. No different here. GM has a new platform for coming out that can be used for an EREV CUV but right now I don't think they have one. So I think we'll have to wait a while for the CUV.

I'm not following why a $60K Cadillac is too pricey but a $100K Model S isn't. I suspect that that the ELR will come in just about at the price of the bottom end Model S. As for practicality, one of those cars can go on a road trip and one can't. I'd think the one that could would be the more "practical".
I think the ELRs prices will be in line with the 60 kWh Model S but to your point people will still think the ELR is too much and ignore the Model S price comparison. I'm not sure about the price once you add various features/options to both tho. ModelS options: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2013-model-s-price-increase
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/2013-model-s-price-increase" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pricechart.jpg

Update: Related insideevs article from 21Jan2013 http://insideevs.com/cadillac-to-be-single-production-run-priced-from-mid-60000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SanDust said:
As for practicality, one of those cars can go on a road trip and one can't. I'd think the one that could would be the more "practical".
Depends on what you mean by "practical" - after all in one of them you can take your kids along and in the other you can't ;-)

We don't have kids but it seems to me that that would fall under the heading of an advantage, not a disadvantage! :lol:

evnow said:
SanDust said:
As for practicality, one of those cars can go on a road trip and one can't. I'd think the one that could would be the more "practical".
Depends on what you mean by "practical" - after all in one of them you can take your kids along and in the other you can't ;-)

TomT said:
We don't have kids but it seems to me that that would fall under the heading of an advantage, not a disadvantage! :lol:
evnow said:
SanDust said:
As well I have kids but one is out of college and the other is in college. It would work fine for "families" like mine too. If you have small kids you probably shouldn't spend your money on these cars anyway! Save for college and your retirement!!!

Back