Official Cadillac ELR thread - a luxury version of the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottf200 said:
If you have small kids you probably shouldn't spend your money on these cars anyway! Save for college and your retirement!!!
Or earn more money ;-)

Anyway, I was just interpreting IBELEAF.

For us Volt/ELR isn't "practical" because my wife doesn't was a low seating car. Tesla isn't practical because it doesn't fit in my garage, among other things.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
If you have small kids you probably shouldn't spend your money on these cars anyway! Save for college and your retirement!!!
Or earn more money ;-)
Nah, just sell the kids.

A friend of mine with a weird sense of humor who had looks that could be mistaken for a wide range of ethnic groups, would occasionally in his younger days walk up to strangers with kids on the street and, in an Arabic accent, demand "How much for the child? How much for the small blond child?" Oddly enough, he's still alive and healthy to this day (and married with a son starting college).

Well, GM is not shy about the price of the ELR. $75K...

http://www.cadillac.com/future-cars/elr-electric-car/reservation.html?eVar36=MRM_eml_ca_hr_ELR_adhoc6_1013_v1_13966313208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2014 Cadillac ELR Priced At $75,995, In Showrooms By January

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1087645_2014-cadillac-elr-priced-at-75995-in-showrooms-by-january" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To which I can only say :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No, stop, you're killing me!

$76K?! Are they insane??!!! We'll have to see if GM really knows their market better than we think they do, or if this just drives people to buy Model S-60s.

TomT said:
Well, GM is not shy about the price of the ELR. $75K...

http://www.cadillac.com/future-cars/elr-electric-car/reservation.html?eVar36=MRM_eml_ca_hr_ELR_adhoc6_1013_v1_13966313208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You've got to be kidding. Nice looking sheet metal and interior, but it's just a fancy version of the Volt. How the heck can GM justify the $40k bump in price. You've got to be an idiot to buy this car.

Well, at least they have the performance to back up the price... The CTS and ATS are actually pretty nice, and you would get a lot of change back from your 75K...

LTLFTcomposite said:
Would you prefer one of the $75k ICE caddies?

Time will tell, but GM says they want to compete with Tesla, and every move seems to just help Tesla. I think this car will bring awareness to EV's and shoppers will drive this and the Model S since they will be priced head to head, and I can only assume that a very high percentage will opt for Tesla. This is the car GM should have put out when they released the Volt and there was no Tesla sedan available to compete.

Very nice looking car though.

Maybe even a year ago, but now Tesla is going to have pretty good supercharger coverage by the time this thing comes out. I struggle to think of a lifestyle that would require this car over a model s. I can _totally_ get people not wanting a Leaf, but stopping every 150 miles is a lot different than stopping every 50.

When I explain the Model S to people I usually go about it like this: imagine you're traveling across the country and every 2-3 hours you see a gas station giving away free gas. There's a 20-minute line, but it's free gas. Everyone would stop and wait in that line.

So who's going to want this car that can't wait in that special line? Probably only people who don't know the Tesla exists. And that number is only getting smaller.

This is actually the original. They are building the concept car that many people fell in love with.

I skimmed and may have missed a similar reply to this, but...the concept car was a Camaro prototype with a golf cart drivetrain. Top speed - when it worked - was maybe 15MPH. I literally gagged when I saw it.

99% of the people on this forum would take the Model S over the ELR.

However, this forum isn't a representative sample of the population.

They're going after Cadillac lovers, not people who are thinking EV first. There's no way I'd buy it, but it does seem like a nice car.

I can, have, and arguably need to take trips that are conveniently doable with the Volt or ELR, but would not be realistically possible with the Tesla. Maybe in 10 years there will be hundreds of superchargers scattered throughout the state, but for the reality of here and now these cars can play an important role in the electric transformation.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I can, have, and arguably need to take trips that are conveniently doable with the Volt or ELR, but would not be realistically possible with the Tesla. Maybe in 10 years there will be hundreds of superchargers scattered throughout the state, but for the reality of here and now these cars can play an important role in the electric transformation.

But for price of Caddy one can buy a Leaf and a Audi A4 or BMW 3 series. Either combination (short trip, long trip) is far superior IMHO in every way, not to mention, you know, 2 cars!

^ You could make that argument at various price points but the cost of insuring multiple vehicles is a deal breaker, a significant inhibitor to ev adoption IMO.

LTLFTcomposite said:
^ You could make that argument at various price points but the cost of insuring multiple vehicles is a deal breaker, a significant inhibitor to ev adoption IMO.
That 3rd car with no assigned driver is relatively low cost to insure.

I have to agree w/the others here re: the price. It's insane. It's going to be an utter sales fail for GM.
TomT said:
Well, at least they have the performance to back up the price... The CTS and ATS are actually pretty nice...

LTLFTcomposite said:
Yeah, but almost none of them don't start at $76K+! CTS starts at $33K to ~$39K. ATS starts at ~$33K.

The other thing that starts around that high a price is the soon-to-be-dead (low mpg) Ice Capade Hybrid starting at over $74K.

It's almost as if GM wants it to fail! I was expecting something closer to 50k (prior to incentives and rebates)...

cwerdna said:
I have to agree w/the others here re: the price. It's insane. It's going to be an utter sales fail for GM.

TomT said:
Well, at least they have the performance to back up the price... The CTS and ATS are actually pretty nice...

LTLFTcomposite said:
Someone pointed out on one of the blogs that for $73,900 before incentives, you could buy a base Volt ($34,995) AND a base ($38905) CTS coupe, with a 316 hp/275 ft.lb. 3.6L V-6.

Back