No second lease extension? (Policy change?) (Interesting update!)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, you are responsible for any repairs that don't get covered by the major powertrain warranty, which is 8 years, IIRC. It's an issue for me as well, but if I can extend my lease for another 12 or 24 months, I probably will. I was told, just last month, "No lease extensions." Hopefully that has indeed changed.

LeftieBiker said:
As I understand it, you are responsible for any repairs that don't get covered by the major powertrain warranty, which is 8 years,
(Looking at my '13 Leaf warranty booklet now.)
Powertrain and EV system warranty is only 5 years/60K miles, NOT 8 years. 8 years/100k miles is for battery defects, not capacity loss. There is a 10 year/unlimited mileage warranty on seat belts.

Basic warranty is 3 years/36K miles...

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
As I understand it, you are responsible for any repairs that don't get covered by the major powertrain warranty, which is 8 years,
(Looking at my '13 Leaf warranty booklet now.)
Powertrain and EV system warranty is only 5 years/60K miles, NOT 8 years. 8 years/100k miles is for battery defects, not capacity loss. There is a 10 year/unlimited mileage warranty on seat belts.

Basic warranty is 3 years/36K miles...

Yup, I was thinking of the battery defect warranty. My bad. Still, the 5 year warranty on the powertrain would just cover a 24 month lease extension when my 12 month extension ends. If I'm saving $200 a month on payments, and at least $1k on the down payment I wouldn't make, that's a decent repair fund.

Called today and was offered an additional six month extension on our 2012. They said they are extending for up to 24 months of total extension time. Our payment is $120, so will do it even though we are out of the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty period.

The lease extension agreement does not say anything about ability to cancel the extension on a month to month basis. That was supposedly the deal on the previous extensions we did, though I don't recall whether it was actually stated in the written agreement on those extensions either.

Mine said nothing about day to day, but it appears that all of these extensions are just that. Why would they want to lock you into an old $120 a month lease when you want to lease or buy a new Nissan?

Back