Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
mwalsh said:
... I think they probably need to charge at least something for using them, to keep the moochers away.
+1!!!
I'm sure this isn't the most appropriate thread for these thoughts, but they were prompted here so I'll post them here. As time goes on, I am not yet convinced that the most common compensation model for QC charging is going to be a traditional direct "pay-for-play" billing structure. There are several reasons why it seems QC charging could, in many cases, be paid for through more creative models the same way web-based ads support web services. First, the actual cost of the service (apart from demand charges, which I have to believe the market will eventually eliminate in most locales) is low - low enough to be offset by ad delivery, for example. Second, the audience (EV drivers) is, or can be persuaded to be, captive. Most drivers will - and probably should - stay with or in their EVs when QC'ing, a perfect scenario to engage them with content delivery via a screen associated with the QC station, or the driver's own mobile device: phone, tablet, or vehicle display. It isn't much of a stretch to imagine an interactive session, where drivers, in exchange for a free QC, agree to experience their choice of, say, intensive, long-form advertising programs (timeshare or other travel-related sales?), mixed sessions of unrelated promotional material, interactive surveys, or a combination of these. The sessions might require periodic (every five minutes?) input/feedback by the driver to confirm his or her presence and attention to the spiel.

I realize this probably sounds like a dreary expansion of the ad-saturated world we already live in - and it is. But if we are going to be stuck 20-30 minutes QC'ing anyway, it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a choice how to pay for it. Ideally, we could simply opt to be billed for the charging session conventionally and avoid the ad blitz, or endure the ad session and avoid (or steeply discount) the fee.

Others are free to - and no doubt will - disagree, or have better ideas.

TomT said:
Interesting because when I used the Downtown Nissan unit three weeks ago right after my Program Update it let me go well above 80%... I started at something like 40%...

Valdemar said:
Well, before I plugged in the display of the charger said "available charge level: 80%" or something like that, so there may be a hard limit set on the charger side. Afaik what you say is true for Blink QC.

QC'd today at Connell and Carson, neither had the 80% limit showing on the display prior to charging, both times car went to 10 bars with charger stopping at 89% on its display, starting from 3-4 bars. So looks like there is about 10% discrepancy for 2011 MY, and if the charger is set for 80% you end up with 8 bars only. Curious if 2013 MY's dashboard actually matches what's shown on the Nissan DCQC.

timhebb said:
...an interactive session, where drivers, in exchange for a free QC, agree to experience their choice of, say, intensive, long-form advertising programs (timeshare or other travel-related sales?), mixed sessions of unrelated promotional material, interactive surveys, or a combination of these. The sessions might require periodic (every five minutes?) input/feedback by the driver to confirm his or her presence and attention to the spiel.

I realize this probably sounds like a dreary expansion of the ad-saturated world we already live in - and it is.

Oh, man!

So tired of advertising being shoved down my throat. This just made me realize that one of the things I have been "missing" with the LEAF was the advertising blaring at me at the gas pumps -- where I was already paying for the privilege.

I will glady pay you today for an ad-free day on Thursday! :)

Hopefully these changers will be regularly inspected and cleaned.

DSC_0242small.jpg

Just had it confirmed that a QC unit is being installed within the next few days at Universal City Nissan (CA), in the same two-car outdoor parking "bay" that up to now has hosted two side by side L2 charging stations (within a few steps of Ventura Blvd.).

I stopped at the dealership to ask about it when I drove by and noticed the area cordoned off and the beginnings of construction underway. The salesperson I spoke with did not know whether the existing L2 stations would remain in place, be relocated, or what. It would not be advisable to leave more than one of them installed there, though, because there are only two parking spaces with access to the charging units.

In any case, this adds an excellent quick charging location just off the 101 freeway for travelers or locals.

I'm wondering how much longer is the free lunch going to last. I suspect that per minute fees will not be practical at dealerships, so they will tend to charge a fixed amount, which we tend to dislike.

Valdemar said:
I'm wondering how much longer is the free lunch going to last. I suspect that per minute fees will not be practical at dealerships, so they will tend to charge a fixed amount, which we tend to dislike.

I do agree there needs to be a charge of some kind. But if they are going to do this, I suggest they take a look at Connell Nissan's model where your Nissan "One To One" Rewards account is tapped for the charges.

thankyouOB said:
did they mention a price for the replacement battery???

Well, if there's one DCQC conveniently located for my daily commute and it is free I may not care about battery replacement cost quite a bit longer than I recently thought.

Valdemar said:
thankyouOB said:

Well, if there's one DCQC conveniently located for my daily commute and it is free I may not care about battery replacement cost quite a bit longer than I recently thought.

do you really want to stop off for 30 minutes each day?

I'd need 5-10 minutes only most likely. Waiting for someone else to finish charging is a concern. Regardless this would be an alternative to the "about $100/mo" battery lease option.

Here is the Nissan PR machine on another post they started on July 8, 2013. This post is about the installation of 100 quick chargers in LEAF markets.

BBrockman wrote:
Hi everyone:

First, I want to say that I know we owe you more answers on the replacement program. My apologies for the delay on that topic.

Until then....

UNTIL WHEN???, i say and ask:

are you seriously prefacing the roll out of some shiny object to distract everyone from the fact that nissan has refused to offer a sales price for the battery or present a Q&A about the issue almost THREE YEARS after you began selling the car in the United States!!

NYLEAF said:
This was posted on the Nissan Leaf Facebook page about an hour ago:

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...-more-than-100-u-s-leaf-certified-dealerships
So I guess NRG will be installing the other ~350 stations?

At the least it appears that Nissan will be holding on to their end of the bargain - the original release said that about 30 would be pilot projects at Nissan Dealers. So the actual number is 24 so far with another 100 planned over the next 9 months.

thankyouOB said:
Please keep this thread on-topic. You have enough threads for talking about battery price already. Any further posts about battery price will be moved.

The OP for this thread was almost 6 months ago now and included this:

Quote:
There are now about 160 quick-charge stations, mostly on the West Coast and in Texas; Nissan hopes to add another 500 new stations over the next 18 months.

Now we hear they hope to add 100 at select dealerships, within that same time frame.

Hope has been downsized?

Hope to use my QC port before my lease is up.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
drees said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Hope has been downsized?
No, NRG was supposed to install the rest. See my earlier post.

Supposed to, but aren't?
Haven't yet. I don't know if they've been given permission to wait for the Spark or other CCS-equipped car to hit the market, so that they'd install dual-protocol capable chargers from the get-go, or if they're just behind. I haven't seen any announcements since last November, but here's the most detailed explanation of what their (then) plans were that I've seen:

http://www.longtailpipe.com/2012/11/the-evgo-electric-car-charging-station.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's a map:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i0.wp.com/cleantechnica.com/files/2012/05/3NRGeVgo.jpg%3Fresize%3D500%252C415&imgrefurl=http://cleantechnica.com/2012/05/14/100-million-for-electric-car-charging-in-california-from-nrg-energy/&h=415&w=500&sz=22&tbnid=qlhF4y7215AX3M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=108&zoom=1&usg=__y6avR3uCBwtATk2M8FRjgRZq61E=&docid=-_X4PoICjqIOaM&sa=X&ei=Vm7kUZGmLqGGjAKE3YGgBg&ved=0CGUQ9QEwCQ&dur=607" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want to suggest the Leaf community to write to Nissan USA and persuade them NOT to install the new L3QC chargers at Nissan Dealers. Instead, install them at Highway and Interstate rest stops, free-public parking lots, municipal parking lots and other places close to highways and interstates where people can have access to these chargers 24/7. This will allow longer trips, even intercity trips in the Leaf and other future Nissan EVs such as the eNV200 minivan. Please write to Nissan and tell them about your experiences with charging at Nissan Dealerships. My experience has not been great. out of the five Nissan dealers(Bruce Bennett Nissan-CT, Rockland Nissan-NY, Nissan World of Denville-NJ, and Hilltop Nissan-NJ) I visited for charging in three states(CT, NY, and NJ), four had the charging spots deliberately blocked by the dealer's staff with parked cars, that too with mostly Non-EVs. This severely discourages Leaf owners from depending on charging at the L2 charging network at Nissan dealerships across United States. Yes, there are a few rare Nissan Dealers like the Rockland Nissan in New York which do not block charging spots and allow charging Leafs and EVs. Rockland Nissan also promotes and sells Leafs. They have a Nissan Lead kiosk in their showroom, something that I didn't see in any other Nissan Dealership out the of the five I visited. However, most Nissan Dealers don't promote, sell, or support Nissan Leafs. So it is important for us as a Leaf community to contact Nissan and prevent them from making the same mistake with the new L3 chargers.

Latest posts

Back