Nissan,how could you Screw Up so BADLY

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
They did not call you back in 24 hours, they have not called me back over three spearate issues as promised and it's been months, you are doing well. So you cancelled your order online?
No, it was 48 hours (as of yesterday it's been 72 hours), and no, I have not canceled my order. I've just reached the conclusion (based on the Month of July delivery estimate, and the fact that they've apparently allocated me two different cars and then switched both to other people) that they're not going to ship me a car. I still intend to take the first freeway-capable EV I can get, and I'm not burning any bridges.

But based on the CONSTANT stream of LIES that Nissan has been giving ALL OF US, I no longer believe there was a "computer glitch" in the ordering. I believe they've been intentionally re-allocating cars. After all, they told me they were re-allocating someone else's car to me, before that car also disappeared, probably allocated to yet a different person. And we pretty much know that the reason only a handful of people got cars in January was that they decided to re-allocate those 4,700 cars originally destined for the U.S. roll-out and sell them in Japan instead. What makes more sense? An unfixable computer glitch resulting in all those out-of-order sales, or a decision to re-allocate cars, when we already know, and they admit, that they've been re-allocating cars?

So I just no longer expect to get a Leaf. After all, a lot can happen between now and July. (JULY, FOR CRISSAKE!!! When my car was supposed to have been in Portland several weeks ago!) They're liable to have another "computer glitch" or decide they need to hold the car back to fix another issue that affects exactly 7 cars out of the thousands built.

This morning I woke up at 4:30 and could not get back to sleep, I was so upset and angry, running imaginary conversations through my head, about all their lies and deception and all the broken promises and the contempt they obviously have for their customers. So I'm going to try again (sometimes it takes several tries) to just put it out of my mind, and accept the fact that Nissan has no intention of selling me a Leaf. The consolation is (as a friend pointed out, who HAS canceled his order) that without active battery cooling, the Leaf, while first to market in its class, is probably doomed to a shortened battery life. Sour grapes? Definitely. But if it helps me deal with this and get back to my life, then fine. And if they ever do call and tell me my car is at the dealer (forget emails and the dashboard, that's all bullsh!t) then I'll revisit the issue and decide if I want to buy it or not.

daniel said:
But based on the CONSTANT stream of LIES that Nissan has been giving ALL OF US, I no longer believe there was a "computer glitch" in the ordering. This morning I woke up at 4:30 and could not get back to sleep, I was so upset and angry, running imaginary conversations through my head, about all their lies and deception and all the broken promises and the contempt they obviously have for their customers.
Enough with the conspiracy theories. Nissan is not out to get you personally, they don't have "contempt" for their customers. They are an imperfect business doing the best they can... which is falling short in some peoples eyes.

A word of friendly advice to those who already have cars and may be inclined to defend Nissan or imply the complainers are whining or unreasonable: don't. Anything you say can be perceived only as "Let them eat cake!" This goes triple for those who ordered in 2011 and have cars or delivery dates within the next few weeks.

Rat said:
A word of friendly advice to those who already have cars and may be inclined to defend Nissan or imply the complainers are whining or unreasonable: don't.
Somebody has to. This thread is WAY out of control.

Rat said:
A word of friendly advice to those who already have cars and may be inclined to defend Nissan or imply the complainers are whining or unreasonable: don't. Anything you say can be perceived only as "Let them eat cake!" This goes triple for those who ordered in 2011 and have cars or delivery dates within the next few weeks.
+1
You don't see me posting in topics dealing with ownership issues, like how frustrating it is to push "ACCEPT":
"E V E R Y...T I M E...Y O U...S T A R T...T H E...C A R" and telling y'all over and over again to suck it up and live with it. :lol:

Randmac said:
Rat said:
+1
You don't see me posting in topics dealing with ownership issues, like how frustrating it is to push "ACCEPT":
"E V E R Y...T I M E...Y O U...S T A R T...T H E...C A R" and telling y'all over and over again to suck it up and live with it. :lol:

But....uh.....you could if you wanted to.

I hardly take my own parents advice, so me listening to Rat telling me to not voice my opinion won't go very far. :lol:

davewill said:
Rat said:
A word of friendly advice to those who already have cars and may be inclined to defend Nissan or imply the complainers are whining or unreasonable: don't.

Davewill, you ordered after Randmac. You are about to get your car, and he's looking at June. You are a direct beneficiary of Nissan's screw-up. You want to defend that? Take your $5,000 and have a party. But don't post pics of your party in this thread. That would be in poor taste, just like any attempted defense of Nissan would be here.

Jimmydreams, you are right. If your parents could not teach you manners, no one here will.

OB, your prior defense of Nissan in this thread (claiming that the tsunami absolved the company of any need to further justify or fix its wrong-headed behavior) shows just how guilty you feel about your line-jumper status. Time to start posting about how tinny the stereo speakers sound!

BlueSL said:
davewill said:
Rat said:

Davewill, you ordered after Randmac. You are about to get your car, and he's looking at June. You are a direct beneficiary of Nissan's screw-up. You want to defend that? Take your $5,000 and have a party. But don't post pics of your party in this thread. That would be in poor taste, just like any attempted defense of Nissan would be here.

Jimmydreams, you are right. If your parents could not teach you manners, no one here will.

OB, your prior defense of Nissan in this thread (claiming that the tsunami absolved the company of any need to further justify or fix its wrong-headed behavior) shows just how guilty you feel about your line-jumper status. Time to start posting about how tinny the stereo speakers sound!

i didnt jump any line. neither did anyone else. Nissan gods did that.
that remains the truth regardless of whatever tags you apply to your innocent EV-fan colleagues.
if you want to display bitterness, and if that helps you process, that is your thing. god bless.

i have a promise now for May 'sted of a promise for April. Does that make you feel better? it is still just a promise, so I have no protection from the Nissan gods, either. they treat me with whimsy, as they do you and all of us.

If you look at my previous posts, I said that the disaster insulates Nissan from criticism in the mainstream media about delivery issues. It just makes complaining about it, seem petty to everyone in the larger audience; and it prolly is petty. that is my view.
I also called their explanations: "bullshit and whimsy," am not cool with their lack of transparency, but dont see the point of going more public than sharing info on this site.

Let me just try out the FOE list with you, as your negativity is just pure bummer.

The defenders of Nissan and those with their cars have to admit that Nissan's communication has been problematic. I have not been ranting or expressing emotions about the situation but nonetheless feel this is going to be a case study in business schools for a poorly run campaign. The 4-7 month promise alone was clearly a mistake-- many of us whose cars left Japan before the earthquake are well past the seven months. Of course, post-earthquake there is nothing Nissan could have done to avoid delays.

My car is now scheduled for the week of 5/6 and if it should come on the 6th it will be extactly eight months. Plus, since the car is in Long Beach one would think they could stick to a date-- but it has changed 4 times in the last 10 days. For awhile it ws moving two days further out every day. It would have all been fine if Nissan had not implied earlier deliveries and if they communicated clearly with their buyers. I don't see any contempt on their part, i am sure that Nissan would much preferred to meet thier original targets-- after all ,the don't get paid until the car gets built and delivered!

Rat said:
It doesn't have anything to do with having a car or being about to get one. Rather, it's a matter of perspective. I have a busy and full life (which I hope the rest of you have). One of my interests is in getting an EV and promoting EV use to others. However, whether I get the EV in a month or six months or a year just isn't that big of a deal. Not enough to complain bitterly about any shortcomings Nissan may have or lose sleep over. I suppose it is someones right to be so obsessed with the car and the process that this is a big issue in their life, I just don't see it as particularly healthy. For those who made decisions like selling a car based on Nissan's rough time table, I consider that poor judgment on their part. All kinds of snags can arise with a groundbreaking product like this, as we have already seen (computer glitch, A/C restart issue, Tsunami). This is just my opinion, others are entitled to a different approach.

SteveInSeattle said:
The defenders of Nissan and those with their cars have to admit that Nissan's communication has been problematic. I have not been ranting or expressing emotions about the situation but nonetheless feel this is going to be a case study in business schools for a poorly run campaign. The 4-7 month promise alone was clearly a mistake-- many of us whose cars left Japan before the earthquake are well past the seven months. Of course, post-earthquake there is nothing Nissan could have done to avoid delays.

My car is now scheduled for the week of 5/6 and if it should come on the 6th it will be extactly eight months. Plus, since the car is in Long Beach one would think they could stick to a date-- but it has changed 4 times in the last 10 days. For awhile it ws moving two days further out every day. It would have all been fine if Nissan had not implied earlier deliveries and if they communicated clearly with their buyers. I don't see any contempt on their part, i am sure that Nissan would much preferred to meet thier original targets-- after all ,the don't get paid until the car gets built and delivered!
Sure they've made TONS of mistakes and I think it's good that people can come here and complain. It's done a lot of good. It's the conspiracy theories that are driving ME up the wall. Nissan is not out to get anyone. They screwed up, and like a lot of big companies would have liked to sweep it under the rug. Thanks to the forum, it hasn't swept so well.

Randmac said:
Rat said:
+1
As someone pointed out, you could !....but i suspect you won't, nor tell those with cars that failed because of the A/C glitch to quit whining.
Look Rat isn't saying to anyone you CAN'T defend Nissan,... everyone is free to have and post their own opinion, that's what these boards are for. His polite note was just that, to someone who ordered in September and is still waiting, someone who already has a car (especially if they ordered in January) is likely not going to have their "in-defense-of-Nissan" opinion taken too seriously, even if it's valid.

It's probably a time/place/thread to "at least be understanding, or say nothing" . Geeez, are none of you guys married? Remember those emergency calls to 1-800-FLOWERS we've all had to make? ;-) ;-)

For those folks who ordered in 2011 and are tired of the complaining from the 2010 people who were passed over, and for those folks who have their cars and are also tired of the complaining, may I suggest you simply not read this thread? Leave it to us complainers. ;)

leafkabob said:
For those folks who ordered in 2011 and are tired of the complaining from the 2010 people who were passed over, and for those folks who have their cars and are also tired of the complaining, may I suggest you simply not read this thread? Leave it to us complainers. ;)

Maybe we need to start a NEW thread "Most screwed by Nissan"
So far the front runners are SteveinSeattle, and Daniel.

I expect discussions be of this nature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Rat said:
My advice for the fustrated is to not open the dashboard or this forum for two to four weeks. And especially do not call Nissan CS. There is life besides a Leaf, some need to find something they enjoy.

I am waiting also. Probably less than some and longer than others. As a watched pot never boils, go spend a month doing anything else and your sanity will come back.

What frustrates me besides the lack of communication from Nissan is how unreliable the web site is at keeping track of information. I ordered the SV model on Dec 01, but upon learning I could participate in the EVproject (eTec) and getting a call from Nissan, I changed my order to an SL + Quick Charging Port. It took months and much prodding on my part to get the configuration updated online to show the model as "SL". Interestingly, the current transaction price quote for this SL, is the same price the dealer quoted me for the minimum SV configuration. Does this mean I can hold the dealer to this quote for the pricier SL ? :)

Until this week my delivery date was "week of April 15", then I got an e-mail from Nissan telling me to expect delivery within the next 7 days. But now on my account it shows "week of May 02", so when is it? I guess I just have to 'chill' and wait to hear from the dealer. Has anyone else received the 7-day delivery e-mail notice and then noticed a later delivery date online?

I swear I saw a VIN number on my account at one point, but darn if I can find it again... Maybe when I registered for CARWINGs. Those who have a VIN# but are still waiting for delivery, where are you seeing it in your account?

solarman said:
Those who have a VIN# but are still waiting for delivery, where are you seeing it in your account?
For me, here is how I see my VIN:

On the dashboard, under Own (which, by the way, says "Congratulations on your Nissan Leaf purchase") there is a yellow bar which says "Launch the Nissan Leaf Owners portal". When I click on the bar, I get to the Nissan web site and can see my VIN there. Seems odd, since I haven't completed the purchase yet, since the car hasn't been delivered. I have week of April 22 still listed, dealer told me it is still on hold at the port.

Stoaty said:
solarman said:
Those who have a VIN# but are still waiting for delivery, where are you seeing it in your account?
For me, here is how I see my VIN:

On the dashboard, under Own (which, by the way, says "Congratulations on your Nissan Leaf purchase") there is a yellow bar which says "Launch the Nissan Leaf Owners portal". When I click on the bar, I get to the Nissan web site and can see my VIN there. Seems odd, since I haven't completed the purchase yet, since the car hasn't been delivered. I have week of April 22 still listed, dealer told me it is still on hold at the port.

THANKS Stoady ! I found it right where you said, and later found my notes with the same number. Yes, it seems odd to me as well - it's not my vehicle.... yet. But its nice to have a number ... makes you feel like there is (hopefully) a vehicle matching your order waiting somewhere....

Back