Why the Nissan Leaf, may in fact, be the worst production model electric car ever made.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trucklover32

Why the Nissan Leaf, may in fact, be the worst car ever made.

First off, this is not meant to be a negative post. It’s meant to generate conversation and feedback. Second, I am a genuine Leaf owner and I do love the car. Third, I support 100% of my article with valid references and facts from verified sources.

Don’t get me wrong the Leaf is a great car however, there are aspects of the car that I can no longer avoid. Here goes….

Okay, I need some feedback on this article. I have a 2012 Leaf, with 44K miles. My daily range is around 50 miles at best. I have not lost my 9th bar and likely won't lose it by January 2017 when the warranty on the battery expires. Also I live in Florida, so battery degradation is significantly faster since it is considered a “hot” climate.

Now, let’s assume that in January 2017, the month ends and I still have 10 bars. My chance of getting the battery replaced under warranty will be gone. In February 2017 I finally lose the 9th bar. At that time, by Nissan’s own admission, the battery would be considered “faulty”; as in, no longer performing as engineered. The repair starts at $5,499 before labor and fitment brackets. For a round number let’s just call it a $6,000 repair.

By comparison suppose you had a 5 year old gas powered car with 44K miles that needed a $6,000 repair. That $6,000 repair would cover the ENTIRE cost of a brand new engine. And for $6,000 you could almost replace the transmission with a new one…TWICE. Have you EVER heard of a modern gas powered car that needed a brand new engine or transmission at only 44,000 miles? Sure there may be a few cars that blow a headgasket or throw a rod. But the vast majority of gas vehicles NEVER experience a catastrophic component failure (needing total engine or transmission replacement) before 60,000 miles.

**Note: According to ConsumerReports.com from 2007-2016 on average, 2% or less of ICE vehicles experienced a major engine or transmission failure. For the 2012 model year its 1%.

**Note: According to Edmunds.com, when purchasing a 2016 Nissan Leaf you will save $4,500 in fuel costs over 5 years when compared to an ICE vehicle that gets 25 MPG on average.

Many of you might contend that the Nissan Leaf is cheaper to operate than a comparable ICE vehicle. Fair point, but does the math add up? For the sake of argument, let’s assume for a minute that over the course of 5 years and 44,000 miles of driving that the Nissan Leaf saved you exactly $6,000 over a gas vehicle. Now you take that $6,000 you “saved” by owning the Leaf and replace the entire battery pack. At this point, you are literally neck and neck on cost with a gas vehicle. However, they story doesn’t end there.

I purchased my Nissan Leaf in January 2015 for $13,000 and it had 26,000 miles on it (and 11 capacity bars). In January of 2017 I will have owned the car for exactly 2 years and put approximately 20,000 miles on it (approximating 46,000 miles by January 2017). So that is about 10,000 miles per year, which is just below the national average. Now what if I just wanted to sell it instead of replacing the ageing battery?
As of today Kelly Blue Book values my car, in very good condition, to a private seller at $6,656. Now over the course of two years and 20,000 miles the value of the car has dropped by $6,344 or a whopping 48.8%!! So even if I am able to sell the car, I have still lost ~$6,000 in the car’s value. Now to be fair to Nissan, the massive drop in resale value is largely not their fault.

Replace entire battery pack: $6,000 or Sell car outright: -$6,000 in value lost in two years/20,000 miles

So I now have an all-electric car that has a nominal range of 50 miles and the only way to remedy that is to spend $6,000 on a new battery. As I continue to drive my Leaf the range will continue to drop. At some point around two years from now, the car will very likely not be practical for my roundtrip commute of 26 miles. Now that’s my experience with the Leaf, but how are other all-electric vehicles holding up?

The vast majority of Tesla’s and Volt’s are not displaying range drop of more than 10% at 100,000 miles. In comparison this makes the Leaf looks like a total lemon of an electric vehicle. All of this is traced to two main factors: air cooling of the battery and usable battery capacity. Nissan got both of these very wrong.

Air cooling is just not sufficient for electric vehicle battery packs. The very computer I am typing this post on actually uses liquid cooling for the CPU. Nissan missed the mark on battery pack cooling, period. Second, is the usable capacity of the battery. Both Tesla and Chevrolet have limited how much of the battery can be used before the vehicle stops. Nissan did not impose as strict of a limit, which shortens the life of the battery.

Nissan has addressed the battery issues to some degree in 2013 models and beyond. They modified the chemistry of the battery and in 2016 increased the kWh. However, the 30 kWh Leaf model still allows you to access 91% of the battery pack, which is likely still shortening the battery life. Nissan has also refused to redesign the Leaf with a liquid cooling system. It is also key to note that, Nissan settled a class-action lawsuit concerning the Leaf and its battery capacity degradation. While Nissan state that the lawsuit was without merit, actions speak louder than words. Their decision to extend the battery warranty is telling and the lawsuit was viewed as a win for Leaf owners.

In closing, the Nissan Leaf does have its advantages to include: environmentally friendly car, more efficient than ICE vehicles, leading us towards sustainable transportation adoption, and of course has the “cool factor”. All that aside for me personally, the Nissan Leaf is turning into a poor financial decision. If by some miracle I get the battery replaced under warranty, I may be able to salvage some of my investment in this car. In the end, I think a used Prius or a used Volt would have better suited my needs and been a more reliable vehicle over the long term despite both having ICE’s. Please feel free to politely comment on this article.

V/R,
James D.

Below are some excerpts from articles addressing battery degradation of other popular all-electric vehicles. None of them demonstrate the same problems that the Nissan Leaf continues to have.

Tesla battery life example:

“CEO Elon Musk once referred to a battery pack Tesla was testing in the lab. He said that the company had simulated over 500,000 miles on it and that it was still operating at over 80% of its original capacity.”

Volt battery life example:

“Now, however, we have a new data point: Erick Belmer's 2012 Chevrolet Volt range-extended electric car just crossed 300,000 miles last week, as he posted to a Volt Owner's Group on Facebook.
And Belmer says it shows no apparent degradation in either its battery capacity or its electric range (rated at 35 miles for that model year).
After 140 comments and almost 800 Likes, the general consensus among owners is that the Volt appears to be hugely durable, and that battery life is the least of a Volt driver's worries.”

References:

http://www.kbb.com
http://insideevs.com/breaking-30-kwh-2016-nissan-leaf-gets-epa-range-rating-107-miles/
http://www.hybridcars.com/zero-battery-degradation-replacements-giving-chevy-volts-an-edge/
https://electrek.co/2016/06/06/tesla-model-s-battery-pack-data-degradation/
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/diagnosing-car-problems/mechanical/cars-less-problematic1.htm
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1102736_durable-2012-chevrolet-volt-300000-miles-no-battery-loss
http://www.plugincars.com/no-active-thermal-management-did-nissan-make-right-call.html
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1077731_how-to-keep-your-nissan-leafs-battery-pack-happy-in-hot-weather
http://insideevs.com/breaking-nissan-prices-leaf-battery-replacement-5499-new-packs-heat-durable/
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/reliability-histories/index.htm
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/20/2011-2012-nissan-leaf-class-action-lawsuit-settled/

Worst car ever made? Nah. Have you ever owned an older Fiat? A Plymouth Volare? At least the Leaf is more likely to start than many other cars. A terrible value for the money? Yes, certainly in your case.

Note that the Volt has reserve capacity it can tap to adjust for loss as the battery so its capacity loss comparison is not objective.

LeftieBiker said:
Worst car ever made? Nah. Have you ever owned an older Fiat? A Plymouth Volare? At least the Leaf is more likely to start than many other cars. A terrible value for the money? Yes, certainly in your case.

Perhaps "worst ever" may be too strong a term. Having said that, I was attempting to compare apples to apples. In my opinion stacking the Leaf up against any vehicle from the 1970's to 1980's is not a useful comparison. I was specifically referring to modern cars (2012+) compared to the Nissan Leaf.

EVDRIVER said:
Note that the Volt has reserve capacity it can tap to adjust for loss as the battery so its capacity loss comparison is not objective.

Totally forgot about that point! Glad you brought it up. Even considering that, I think that the liquid cooling in the Volt battery bodes well for its overall longevity.

V/R,
James D.

trucklover32 said:
LeftieBiker said:

Perhaps "worst ever" may be too strong a term. Having said that, I was attempting to compare apples to apples. In my opinion stacking the Leaf up against any vehicle from the 1970's to 1980's is not a useful comparison. I was specifically referring to modern cars (2012+) compared to the Nissan Leaf.

Then I suggest you edit the topic title, which specifically says "ever made."

trucklover32 said:
The vast majority of Tesla’s and Volt’s are not displaying range drop of more than 10% at 100,000 miles. In comparison this makes the Leaf looks like a total lemon of an electric vehicle. All of this is traced to two main factors: air cooling of the battery and usable battery capacity. Nissan got both of these very wrong.

Air cooling isn't the main, or even only issue. The lab results are often rather different than the real world. Battery chemistry, charging and balancing algorithms, the full and empty limits, the power limits at higher and lower temperatures, and even more arcane factors can have larger impacts on battery life than air cooling. I'm not a real battery expert, but I used to share an office with a real battery expert, and I've got a lot of respect for the complexity of the problem. But yes, Nissan didn't design well for hot climates. I don't disagree on that point.

Sometimes the "primitive" solution is the best solution. Air cooled vs active cooling for automotive is still an open question, as far as I can see. Ford Focus Electric, in spite of a complex liquid cooling system, doesn't seem to be all that much better for battery life in hot places, and doesn't seem to doing as well in cool places as the Leaf. Several other air cooled batteries seem to be doing well: Honda Fit EV, etc. Note that I'm just saying the problem is a lot more complex than just air cooling vs liquid cooling.

And getting it all correct isn't easy. Samsung Note 7.

You, or the article, are comparing a Leaf to a Volt and a Tesla? A Volt has an ENGINE and the Tesla costs 3 TIMES the Leaf...

That can be considered a false equivalence when you bring the Volt into the conversation, and a joke when you bring in the Tesla.

How about comparing the Leaf to the Bolt? But hey, it's your thread and topic so I will just exit now :lol:

WetEV said:
trucklover32 said:

Air cooling isn't the main, or even only issue. The lab results are often rather different than the real world. Battery chemistry, charging and balancing algorithms, the full and empty limits, the power limits at higher and lower temperatures, and even more arcane factors can have larger impacts on battery life than air cooling. I'm not a real battery expert, but I used to share an office with a real battery expert, and I've got a lot of respect for the complexity of the problem. But yes, Nissan didn't design well for hot climates. I don't disagree on that point.

Sometimes the "primitive" solution is the best solution. Air cooled vs active cooling for automotive is still an open question, as far as I can see. Ford Focus Electric, in spite of a complex liquid cooling system, doesn't seem to be all that much better for battery life in hot places, and doesn't seem to doing as well in cool places as the Leaf. Several other air cooled batteries seem to be doing well: Honda Fit EV, etc. Note that I'm just saying the problem is a lot more complex than just air cooling vs liquid cooling.

And getting it all correct isn't easy. Samsung Note 7.

No...air vs liquid cooling isn't an open question. Physics do not lie. Liquids remove heat faster and more efficiently than gas (aka "air"). As for the Focus Electric and the Honda Fit EV......neither of those companies have settled class-action lawsuits regarding battery degradation. So what is my point? Nissan didn't deliver on their "premier" electric vehicle and as a result the consumer lost.

Jedlacks said:
You, or the article, are comparing a Leaf to a Volt and a Tesla? A Volt has an ENGINE and the Tesla costs 3 TIMES the Leaf...

That can be considered a false equivalence when you bring the Volt into the conversation, and a joke when you bring in the Tesla.

How about comparing the Leaf to the Bolt? But hey, it's your thread and topic so I will just exit now :lol:

Firstly, the Volt is a PURE ELECTRIC vehicle UNTIL it depletes the battery and kicks over to gas. You are suggesting that there the Volt could NEVER be compared to a Leaf. If a Volt drove 100,000 miles on BATTERY alone with virtually no battery degradation would that be comparable to my Nissan Leaf in your opinion? Because......there is a Volt that did that exact thing...and I even provided the link for your viewing pleasure.

Also...I once put my weedeater in the back of my Leaf...and yes at that point it technically had an "engine in it" but the crazy part is................that didn't matter because I NEVER used it to power the car. #VoltOwnerThatUsesElectricOnly

To address your comment about the Tesla which cost like "1 Billion dollars" compared to the Leaf ( warning hyperbole here)....my larger point which requires strong intelligence to decode....the Tesla battery, according to Elon Musk himself: " the company has simulated over 500,000 miles on it with over 80% of its original capacity". The point is..........if Elon Musk and his team can engineer a battery that last over 500,000 miles at over 80% original capacity...why can't an established world wide, dominating car company such as Nissan do the same?

And I suspect the next post may question Elon Musk, his company and/or his success, so to hedge that: Elon musk disrupted the banking industry (PayPal), and the auto industry (Tesla Motors), and the international space industry (SpaceX) OH and don't forget the solar industry (Solar City), but I feel like I am forgetting one......oh yes, the new yet unnamed "industry product category" to disrupt power companies (Powerwall and Powerpack).

Concerning the Bolt you talked about, the public and media at large have not had enough time to evaluate the "real world" performance and costs associated with that vehicle. Oh and BTW.....Elon Musk stated that the end of EV subsidies would actually benefit Tesla and hurt Ford and General Motors. Mind blowing yes, but factually correct and Elon Musk even explains this in a recent video to shareholders. Visit the YouTube video and skip to 2:05 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT4BxI18B2I&feature=youtu.be. So lets end the EV credits and see if the Bolt or Model 3 wins!

V/R,
James D.

trucklover32 said:
No...air vs liquid cooling isn't an open question. Physics do not lie. Liquids remove heat faster and more efficiently than gas (aka "air"). As for the Focus Electric and the Honda Fit EV......neither of those companies have settled class-action lawsuits regarding battery degradation. So what is my point? Nissan didn't deliver on their "premier" electric vehicle and as a result the consumer lost.

Honda Fit EV is air cooled.

Nissan made mistakes, but it isn't clear that air cooling was a mistake.

WetEV said:
trucklover32 said:

Honda Fit EV is air cooled.

Nissan made mistakes, but it isn't clear that air cooling was a mistake.

I was on a group motorcycle ride in the summer in California once. We were in stop-and-go traffic at one point, and there was a Harley owner with us, who's bike was air/oil cooled. Well.....his bike overheated and we (liquid cooled motorcycle guys) had to leave him behind.

I'm sure that Harely owner believed in air cooling too.......up until the point where we left him on the side of the road that summer day in California.

V/R,
James D.

OK and the $6,000 is a much improved battery that will give you more range than when you bought the used vehicle and will last far longer.
Don't use this stopping point to declare disaster. The reason you got such a great deal on the used vehicle is because of the known issue.

Don't take this as defense of Nissan as I do agree the warranty on the battery is pathetic at best for a known defect.
Somehow I would have made an effort last summer to get the warranty battery. L3 is your buddy.

trucklover32 said:
Now, let’s assume that in January 2017, the month ends and I still have 10 bars. My chance of getting the battery replaced under warranty will be gone. In February 2017 I finally lose the 9th bar. At that time, by Nissan’s own admission, the battery would be considered “faulty”; as in, no longer performing as engineered. The repair starts at $5,499 before labor and fitment brackets. For a round number let’s just call it a $6,000 repair.

First off, why are some owners so obsessed with that 9 to 8 bar reference? As if the car becomes undrivable at that point. Range will be reduced but doubt it will down to 20 or 30 miles. Second, I would assume in a few years, the aftermarket will step in and offer better battery replacement options at much lower prices. Battery packs for early Honda hybrids sell for under $1500.

trucklover32 said:
LeftieBiker said:

Clearly you've never driven the new Mitsubishi Mirage...or if we want to go as far as cars not available in the US, the Tato Nano, or a number of Chinese-brand cars.

I can't find it on YouTube at the moment, but another car not sold in the US (thankfully), the Malaysian-made Perodua Kelisa, is considered such an awful car that Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson bought a brand new one with his own money and only got as far as across the street from the dealership before he started taking a sledgehammer to it. OTOH he actually didn't mind the Leaf, his main complaint being the short range and long recharge time (no different than most other BEVs).

OP was referring to electric cars so those don't count. I guess nobody else has owned a Miles?

large.jpg

Can't say it was terrible, some aspects were quite nice actually.

atikovi said:
OP was referring to electric cars so those don't count.

OP apparently changed the title on us. Just look above several posts to see that "electric" was not originally in the title.

But if we're going to limit it to "electric" cars, let me present...

1980%2BCommuter%2BVehicles%2BComuta-Car%2BElectrc%2BVehicle%2B1.jpg

No it's not a 2012+ model car, but "ever" means just that.

trucklover32 said:
I was on a group motorcycle ride in the summer in California once. We were in stop-and-go traffic at one point, and there was a Harley owner with us, who's bike was air/oil cooled. Well.....his bike overheated and we (liquid cooled motorcycle guys) had to leave him behind.

I'm sure that Harely owner believed in air cooling too.......up until the point where we left him on the side of the road that summer day in California.

V/R,
James D.

I was on a drive once too, in my nice pickup truck, up until the point where the steam started coming out of the radiator and left it with a cracked head because the thermostat stuck closed. But I'll bet the Harley owner eventually started up again, with hopefully just a much sooner oil change as the only damage.

Now, IF the title is true, then I may have been one of the few, or the only one, to drive "the worst car ever" with the "worst batteries of the worst car" as I was seven capacity bars down, only five remaining. I had a range of over 50 miles well even at five capacity bars lost, At seven lost I was able to go 26 miles until LBW, but I could have still gone a bit farther if necessary. I still was able to do over 50 mile round trips, stopping for a charge at the turnaround point. I wasn't doing 80 mph on the freeway, not that I ever would, but I was down at about 48 mph or so but still going. My one regret is that I wasn't able to keep going and see if the 8-year / 100K mile warranty would have been a factor.

And I live in sunny Florida too, but if Nissan had put the water cooling into the batteries I don't know if I would have paid the extra cost. My batteries were destroyed by the dealership that let it sit for a year as a demo out in the Florida sun at 100% charge, and probably recharged if it ever got down to 95% on one of their two mile drives.

Nissan has been forced to at least partially do the right thing. In my opinion they were able to mislead the naive judge with getting a settlement based on capacity bars that Nissan calculates with an unknown formula, that they were potentially able to change with their P3227 required update (but apparently nobody can prove), and walk away with a non-prorated time frame for those who missed out on the $6K claim by one mile or one day.

So even though I live in hot Florida, I still think the Nissan LEAF is pretty spectacular. I'm sure if I lived in Seattle or Boston I'd be even more impressed. What Nissan did too is prove what GM had known 15 years earlier but crushed due to greed, and that is people will love an EV if they can get a good one, and the batteries were there then with NiMH even though people dismiss them today. The LEAF has forced other auto manufacturers to make an effort in this market, it proved that Toyota squandered their early success, and although I don't have the data, I think it has pushed the overall price of gasoline lower, since it follows a very elastic price curve, thus helping the entire U.S. economy.

The worst EV I've owned would be the S10-EV, which I owned but was never able to drive even one foot, due to the fact that GM made it impossible to purchase the batteries, helped kill the NiMH batteries with Exxon and their patent lawsuit, crushed the market where it would have thrived, and then made sure that CARB gave up on their mandates. Now, it was rumored that the TEVan, by Chrysler, was completely unreliable, but there were so few, and once again you had to be an electrical wizard to keep it going. I checked into one but it was out in Colorado. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_TEVan I'd actually forgotten, but it used NiCd or even NiFe batteries, which were mighty exotic, and had some massive watering system for the batteries to make sure they didn't run dry.

RonDawg said:
atikovi said:
OP was referring to electric cars so those don't count.

OP apparently changed the title on us. Just look above several posts to see that "electric" was not originally in the title.

But if we're going to limit it to "electric" cars, let me present...

1980%2BCommuter%2BVehicles%2BComuta-Car%2BElectrc%2BVehicle%2B1.jpg

No it's not a 2012+ model car, but "ever" means just that.

That one wasn't so bad! There was a guy here in Lakeland that drove on of those Comutacars all over the place for years.

trucklover32 said:
To address your comment about the Tesla which cost like "1 Billion dollars" compared to the Leaf ( warning hyperbole here)....my larger point which requires strong intelligence to decode.....

Let me get this straight. You ask for respectful feedback on your essay. It is correctly pointed out to you that comparing the Leaf directly vs. the Tesla is problematic. And you respond by saying basically anyone with 'stronger intelligence' wouldn't see that as an issue? Why are you here asking for respectful feedback if you are going to insult people who actually take the time to point out errors in your analysis? Starting to smell like a troll.

In case you need help understanding the error in that comparison, reconsider the already pointed out cost difference. You bought the Leaf, so clearly the shorter range isn't an issue for you and you don't need the full range capabilities of the Tesla so that is of little value beyond maintaining your needed range for a longer period. But you turn up your nose at the prospect that the Leaf doesn't last as long despite it being 1/3 the cost. No problem, when the range drops too low, you have plenty of money to buy Leaf 2.0 which will likely last longer. Then if that drops too low which will take quite some time since the Leaf 1.0 range works for you, then you can buy Leaf 3.0. And you are still ahead financially because you will have been able to get some money back by selling Leaf 1.0 and Leaf 2.0. Or are you seriously suggesting that the average Tesla will be a good solid car lasting longer than the average life of Leaf 1.0, Leaf 2.0 and Leaf 3.0 combined?

Note: I love both the Leaf and the Tesla. But they are very different cars targeting very different markets and consumer needs and with very different economic implications for their buyers.

Back