Nissan,how could you Screw Up so BADLY

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
trentr said:
Jimmydreams said:
Don't let the earthquake, massive loss of life, or tsunami get in the way of your rant. After all, you deserve your car, damn it! How dare they have leaky nuclear plants, massive destruction and interrupted supply chains!! And that little bug about cars shutting down and requiring reprogramming on approx 1500 cars?!? Why the hell can't they do that in a few hours?!!???!

You need to chill out.

This has nothing to do with the disasters. Nissan already made the mistake before then. My car was not in the last ship that left Japan before the disaster. It was probably not even made. You should put yourself in our shoes first before telling us to chill out esp if you already have the car and rebate in the bank.

+1!

+2

If Nissan had been open with us, and provided reliable information to dealers and customers, and explained clearly how the process would work, and made it possible for dealers (if not customers) to clear up the various snafus, and then things had become chaotic after the disaster, I'd have said It's not their fault, let them clean up the mess and provide for the survivors, and then they'll get back to building and shipping and selling cars.

But that's not what happened.

My dealer was consistently told WRONG information by his dedicated LEAF rep from Nissan. Customer Service consistently answered questions with "I don't know" or WRONG information. The ordering process was opaque, confusing, bungled, and unfair. January orders were being filled before September/October orders, all long before the disaster. We were bamboozled into paying Aerovironment $100 for an installation estimate and then quoted grossly overpriced amounts, and Nissan kept its mouth shut. Even my dealer has dumped AV and is going with Leviton! But unless you read this forum (and I'm sure lots of leaf buyers do not) you won't know that AV is screwing anybody that sticks with them.

Nissan has botched this whole thing from top to bottom and from beginning to end. The only reason I'm still on the list is that there's no other game in town. The only competition is the $108,000 two-seat Tesla Roadster with its seats practically on the floor of the car, zero space behind the seats, and a microscopic trunk. Sure, it's a great car, but it's not an alternative to the Leaf.

Nissan is demonstrating that it does not care about its customers. The car seemed really nice when I drove a demo. From reports, it's a pretty good car for the money. And it's the first affordable, mass-produced, full-on EV in modern times, and the first affordable freeway-capable electric car to be sold outside of California. But I resent having to deal with a company that treats me with such contempt.

I heard they prioritized deliveries in Japan to get he expiring incentives there. Maybe Nissan since they seem to be not really following deliveries in order of reservation / order, should consdier some priority in terms of expiring / limited incentives. As they've already done it in Japan, maybe they should prioritize in terms of reservation and order date for California incentives and any other states / areas where finite incentives may be running out causing $5,000 plus of consequences to those LEAF customers.

Nissan has the perfect defense for all but a few of the most inside-baseball crowd on this blog.
No story you are going to tell will survive the earthquake and tsunami defense. it just wont work to charge them with incompetence when they country was devastated by an earthquake and nuclear disaster. It doesnt matter that you ordered in september and january folks got a car.
The country was devastated.
you think you can generate sympathy for a few hundred (if that many) people who had their order for a boutique car delayed and perhaps jumped over by other EV car fan orders during the roll out by Nissan.
It just wont get any traction. You cant even get traction with stories in CA of hundreds of thousands of people having MediCal cut and school budgets slashed and teachers laid off. We are talking elderly left without home care and kids without dentistry. Classes without books.
I think you need to first understand the environment and second know that Nissan has a bulletproof explanation; they were making this right for all the out-of-place orders and the earthquake hit. They did the best they could. Dealers lost all their demos. Owners of dealerships got skipped over. etc.

daniel said:
Nissan has botched this whole thing from top to bottom and from beginning to end. The only reason I'm still on the list is that there's no other game in town. The only competition is the $108,000 two-seat Tesla Roadster with its seats practically on the floor of the car, zero space behind the seats, and a microscopic trunk. Sure, it's a great car, but it's not an alternative to the Leaf.

If I do go through with the purchase (may depend on the $5k situation) Nissan will be hard pressed for my first ever Nissan vehicle to not also be my last!

ElectricVehicle said:
I heard they prioritized deliveries in Japan to get he expiring incentives there. Maybe Nissan since they seem to be not really following deliveries in order of reservation / order, should consdier some priority in terms of expiring / limited incentives. As they've already done it in Japan, maybe they should prioritize in terms of reservation and order date for California incentives and any other states / areas where finite incentives may be running out causing $5,000 plus of consequences to those LEAF customers.

I think in Japan the incentives expired on a certain date, so it made sense. In CA there is a limited pool of rebate money, distributed on a first come first served basis (hmmm, where else did we hear that ;-)
Diverting other states' cars to CA won't help the rebate situation (unless they get here so fast they can fill the Sep-Dec orders whilst holding back the Jan-Feb vehicles, but looks like that's already too late)

Nissan guarateening to make up the full $5k to anyone who was bumped from the pool because of their mistake, WOULD solve the problem.

if the car is crumby, I will really dislike Nissan.
If it is a good car, I can forgive waiting for another month.

My really really serious worry is that they have released no safety information and seemingly have done no crash testing. I have asked for months.
They haven't done them or don't want to talk about them.

daniel said:
The government requires that certain crash testing be done. The results ought to be public information.
This is a common misconception. While federal government requires that all vehicles sold today to have minimum safety requirements and while this includes certain crash protections, Nissan doesn't have to prove it satisfies them unless required to by a court of law.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, NHTSA, with SaferCar.gov, perform federal crash tests. Due to budget limitations though, they only test the most popular cars and only a few per year.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, IIHS, performs crash testing for insurance companies, primarily to help determine insurance risk and replacement/repair costs. Just like the NHTSA though, they only test the more popular cars and just a few every year.

So, yes, eventually the Nissan LEAF will be crash tested by one or both of these organizations, however right now (just like any new vehicle to the market) we as consumers trust that Nissan has actually built a vehicle conforming to all federal regulations, including crash-worthiness.

Really.. stop worrying about the 5k rebate.

Doesn't make sense....who else is getting the rebate? The LEAF is pretty much the only game in town.

Calm down.. you'll have your car in time.

cdub said:
Really.. stop worrying about the 5k rebate.

Doesn't make sense....who else is getting the rebate? The LEAF is pretty much the only game in town.

Calm down.. you'll have your car in time.
Ok, so how do you know I'll have it in time? Or others who ordered before January? Since I can't get that from Nissan CS or the Dealer and my devlivery date has gone from April progressively to July, meanwhile some January orders have received their cars, it's quite plausible that if current trends continue, I will not get the rebate. (Fortunately CARB goes out of it's way to try and get rebates to people, and keeps people in the queue - in order!! - though I may be facing a reduced rebate under next year's terms if this year's runs out.)

It's perfectly reasonable for people with $5k at risk and also watching Nissan create line jumpers without any valid explanation to become concerned. And to pile it on, our cars are experiencing further delays AFTER some of the January orders are already delivered. All those people telling us with deliveries that are many months after some January orders who already took delivery even though we ordered 2 or more months before the january orders not to sweat it... Well if it's no sweat, you should be willing to trade places.

trentr said:
Jimmydreams said:
Don't let the earthquake, massive loss of life, or tsunami get in the way of your rant. After all, you deserve your car, damn it! How dare they have leaky nuclear plants, massive destruction and interrupted supply chains!! And that little bug about cars shutting down and requiring reprogramming on approx 1500 cars?!? Why the hell can't they do that in a few hours?!!???!

You need to chill out.

This has nothing to do with the disasters. Nissan already made the mistake before then. My car was not in the last ship that left Japan before the disaster. It was probably not even made. You should put yourself in our shoes first before telling us to chill out esp if you already have the car and rebate in the bank.

+1 :!:

Nissan, you need to make this right! I will be on the phone to CS Monday am reiterating my concern. I am extending the lease on my Altima to get this car. At some point, the disrepect becomes too great.

Jimmydreams said:
It's a car.
You're in line to get one very soon.
The vast majority of the country cannot even order one.
You need to chill out.
+1 - from the forgotten 36

My dashboard shows "my 2011 Nissan LEAF". Likely by the time I am allowed to order, it will have changed to "my 2012 Nissan LEAF". All of this negativity about order delays seems very strange to me. What am I supposed to do, tell Nissan I never want to hear from them again because they've made the first real mass produced modern electric car and they won't let me order yet? What I will do is wait; I'll eventually get my chance to order. And then I'll wait some more; my LEAF will evetually be delivered.

thankyouOB said:
Nissan has the perfect defense for all but a few of the most inside-baseball crowd on this blog.
No story you are going to tell will survive the earthquake and tsunami defense. it just wont work to charge them with incompetence when they country was devastated by an earthquake and nuclear disaster. It doesnt matter that you ordered in september and january folks got a car.
The country was devastated.
you think you can generate sympathy for a few hundred (if that many) people who had their order for a boutique car delayed and perhaps jumped over by other EV car fan orders during the roll out by Nissan.
It just wont get any traction. You cant even get traction with stories in CA of hundreds of thousands of people having MediCal cut and school budgets slashed and teachers laid off. We are talking elderly left without home care and kids without dentistry. Classes without books.
I think you need to first understand the environment and second know that Nissan has a bulletproof explanation; they were making this right for all the out-of-place orders and the earthquake hit. They did the best they could. Dealers lost all their demos. Owners of dealerships got skipped over. etc.

I just wanted to repost your comments.. I am surprised that no one has picked up the story of a select group of rich watermelons (that can afford a new car, class envy) are getting $5k rebates in cash strapped California.. perhaps its time to sent a tip to Drudge :)

Back