Nissan adding quick charging at 100 dealerships

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am hoping that since Blink started charging $5 for their DCQC sessions, Nissan can see this as an opportunity to sell more LEAFs. I mean, if a Nissan dealership is the only place to get a free or reasonably priced QC, I think the many EV drivers will stick with the LEAF. Just hope they don't model it after the Blink rates as I described in my other post:

Went to the new DCQC in Thousand Oaks last night. It said my fee for the charging session would be $5 regardless of how much energy I was using. I checked the Blink app, and it looks like they are all charging $5 now. Based on my experience of using a few Blink QC stations the other week...it is hard to get to a 70% charge level indicated on my Bluetooth SOC meter even though I had the Blink set to 90%. So going from 20% to 70% (50%) would take about 4hrs tops on my level 2 home charging. At .38 cents an hour (.10kwh utility rate) Im looking at under $1.60 for the same charge level that Blink charges $5. So effectively I am now paying $10 a gallon gas equivalent fees. And suddenly the costs are no less than driving a Prius or high mileage ICE vehicle. And if you just needed to top off on your route to add another 20-30 miles of driving or so...it becomes even less cost effective. If we had 85kWh Tesla battery packs...that would be fine. Same costs whether you are taking 5kWh or 24kWh? Same costs day or night? Something has to be wrong with this pricing structure. Hopefully we can all convince Blink to come out with something a little more realistic. Should be per kWh, and be somewhat competitive with the home rate with perhaps a 25% surcharge. Not 300% more!

Its kind of like having a gas pump that charges you $100 whether your car can hold 1 gallon or 100 gallons. The one that benefits the most is the person with the 100 gallon gas tank. Not the person with the 1 gallon gas tank, or even the 100 gallon capacity car that only needs a 10 gallon top off to make it to the next destination.
It just doesn't happen in other real world applications of car refueling.

In view of all the problems reported with charging at dealership locations, I wish Nissan would cancel this program and look for locations other than dealer lots. This seems like a waste of resources to me.

KJD said:
In view of all the problems reported with charging at dealership locations, I wish Nissan would cancel this program and look for locations other than dealer lots. This seems like a waste of resources to me.
I don't see it that way. Even with the stations only available during business hours, dealer-QC still provides Nissan with a valuable selling and demonstration tool - and useful for customers (for example, often you might want to top off a bit after picking up your car from service, or perhaps after a longer test-drive).

It's controlled by the individual dealer, not Nissan... So, each dealer will make their own decision in this regard.

ELROY said:
I am hoping that since Blink started charging $5 for their DCQC sessions, Nissan can see this as an opportunity to sell more LEAFs. I mean, if a Nissan dealership is the only place to get a free or reasonably priced QC, I think the many EV drivers will stick with the LEAF.

ELROY said:
I am hoping that since Blink started charging $5 for their DCQC sessions, Nissan can see this as an opportunity to sell more LEAFs. I mean, if a Nissan dealership is the only place to get a free or reasonably priced QC, I think the many EV drivers will stick with the LEAF. Just hope they don't model it after the Blink rates as I described in my other post:

Went to the new DCQC in Thousand Oaks last night. It said my fee for the charging session would be $5 regardless of how much energy I was using. I checked the Blink app, and it looks like they are all charging $5 now. Based on my experience of using a few Blink QC stations the other week...it is hard to get to a 70% charge level indicated on my Bluetooth SOC meter even though I had the Blink set to 90%. So going from 20% to 70% (50%) would take about 4hrs tops on my level 2 home charging. At .38 cents an hour (.10kwh utility rate) Im looking at under $1.60 for the same charge level that Blink charges $5. So effectively I am now paying $10 a gallon gas equivalent fees. And suddenly the costs are no less than driving a Prius or high mileage ICE vehicle. And if you just needed to top off on your route to add another 20-30 miles of driving or so...it becomes even less cost effective. If we had 85kWh Tesla battery packs...that would be fine. Same costs whether you are taking 5kWh or 24kWh? Same costs day or night? Something has to be wrong with this pricing structure. Hopefully we can all convince Blink to come out with something a little more realistic. Should be per kWh, and be somewhat competitive with the home rate with perhaps a 25% surcharge. Not 300% more!

Its kind of like having a gas pump that charges you $100 whether your car can hold 1 gallon or 100 gallons. The one that benefits the most is the person with the 100 gallon gas tank. Not the person with the 1 gallon gas tank, or even the 100 gallon capacity car that only needs a 10 gallon top off to make it to the next destination.
It just doesn't happen in other real world applications of car refueling.
It must be nice to have a Blink DC unit next door to your house, so you can compare the costs so evenly. I use QC differently - to enable trips that would require an ICE but for the availability of QC. So for me, the question isn't "is that an unreasonable price per kwh comapred to home?", but "is the QC still cheaper than making the trip in my ICE?" Many times, a $10 QC would still be a bargain.

EricH said:
I use QC differently - to enable trips that would require an ICE but for the availability of QC. So for me, the question isn't "is that an unreasonable price per kwh comapred to home?", but "is the QC still cheaper than making the trip in my ICE?" Many times, a $10 QC would still be a bargain.
Great comment. I drove ~160 miles this weekend (still another 10 or so to go later this evening) and here's how the trip went:

Charge to 80% on timer as usual to get super-off-peak rates ($0.14 / kWh)
Add another 20 minutes of L2 (1.3 kWh) before first round of errands ($0.16 / kWh)
Drive 20.7 miles on various errands
Charge to 100% (2:21, 8 kWh, 238 GIDs)
Drive 32 miles, climb 1500 ft
Charge for ~30 minutes at Blink L2 while taking a break, cost $1.
Drive 15 miles, climb 1500 ft (57 GIDs)
Charge for ~20 minutes at Blink DCQC while taking a break, cost $5
Drive 24 miles, climb 1200 ft, descend 1800 ft (155 GIDs)
Charge for 90 min on L1 (166 GIDs)
Drive 39 miles, climb 1800 ft, descend 3000 ft (85 GIDs)
Charge for ~50 minutes at Blink L2 while getting lunch, cost $1
Drive 32 miles, descend 1500 ft (49 GIDs)

Anyway, so far I've spent $7 on public charging to drive 160 miles. About 90 of those miles were solely powered by Blink (ignoring the 90 min of L1, elevation gain), or less than $0.08 / mile. Which is still cheaper than driving the Prius which costs about $0.09 / mile according to my records.

And if I add in the energy from home, the whole trip is going to be significantly cheaper than driving the Prius (ok, the 8 kWh I added after running errands in the morning cost me $0.26 / kWh so those kWh end up costing about the same as driving the Prius - but hey - I got to drive the LEAF without any compromise to my trip.

As an aside for those interested, the QC did shoot battery temps up about 10F from ~90F - ~100F, it did cool back down to ~75F by the morning. After the L1 and rising temps it was back up to 80F and got back up 90F on the way back thanks to all the climbing and 90F temperatures. I expect it to get back down to normal <80F temps by tomorrow morning.

ITestStuff said:
drees said:
and here's how the trip went
What you describe is insane.
And I find it interesting that you don't place a value on your time.
I find it interesting that you are willing to call a situation insane when you clearly don't understand it.

Not cool.

Only one of those stops for charging was required - the DCQC - which is at a convenient location next to a shop we wanted to stop at anyway. The other 2 L2 stops can be eliminated, but because we were planning on or had to stop anyway, we used those occasions to charge. Charging added no extra time to the trip aside from a bit of walking time, but again that could have been avoided had we not been stopping within a block or two of the stations anyway.

Anyway, it was a very useful example of how currently public charging rates did not result in a cost to drive that was more than driving the Prius. We did avoid burning 3 gallons of gas though, so mission accomplished. Imagine if everyone else did the same?

Back on topic - while dealership DCQC is rarely the best place to put charging infrastructure, for a number of reasons it is still a very useful place to have charging infrastructure and better than no charging infrastructure.

Any further updates on this program? I've seen that two dealers in Georgia have gotten QCs installed recently. Anyone know of any others? It would be nice to hear from Nissan.

Insane is what I did... 401 miles from Seattle Wa to priest lake, ID. 22 hours. All level 2 charging past Wenatchee. Really it wasn't insane. Insanity is doing the same trip a second time! .

TomT said:
It's controlled by the individual dealer, not Nissan... So, each dealer will make their own decision in this regard.

ELROY said:
I am hoping that since Blink started charging $5 for their DCQC sessions, Nissan can see this as an opportunity to sell more LEAFs. I mean, if a Nissan dealership is the only place to get a free or reasonably priced QC, I think the many EV drivers will stick with the LEAF.
A Nissan dealer told me over the weekend that "it's free to charge up at any Nissan or Ford dealer in the country". That is not correct, is it?

Isn't it up to the individual dealer whether you're allowed to use their charger?

NYLEAF said:
Any further updates on this program? I've seen that two dealers in Georgia have gotten QCs installed recently. Anyone know of any others? It would be nice to hear from Nissan.

NYLEAF: Yes. QCs have been going in at a number of new locations. I will post an update with the latest info shortly. We typically leave it to the local dealer to promote availability of their own QC since they set the rules for access.

blueblob06 said:
TomT said:
A Nissan dealer told me over the weekend that "it's free to charge up at any Nissan or Ford dealer in the country". That is not correct, is it?

Isn't it up to the individual dealer whether you're allowed to use their charger?

Josh: You're right (and TomT is also right). In the end, the individual dealer sets their guidelines for charging access. Nissan encourages them to be as inclusive and accommodating as possible.

Never trust a dealer. Always verify.

Some dealers will let anybody charge. Some even 24/7, and they keep the spaces free of ICE.

But sadly, many do not. Many don't even have stations.

If you're looking at EVs, and you think some dealer is a place you may someday charge at, check them out now.

PlugShare.com is good too.

AutoNation Nissan in Marietta, Georgia is doing it right. They have a reliable Nissan branded unit, just the push of a button to use, a beautiful new dealership with a comfortable waiting room, and 24/7 access. Thanks for showing how it's done!

They are very definitely the admirable exception to the rule!

rslatkin said:
AutoNation Nissan in Marietta, Georgia is doing it right. They have a reliable Nissan branded unit, just the push of a button to use, a beautiful new dealership with a comfortable waiting room, and 24/7 access. Thanks for showing how it's done!

BBrockman said:
NYLEAF: Yes. QCs have been going in at a number of new locations. I will post an update with the latest info shortly. We typically leave it to the local dealer to promote availability of their own QC since they set the rules for access.

Thanks, that would be much appreciated. I don't feel as though the dealers in my area would reach out to Leaf drivers and advertise that they have a QC. I occasionally drive by a few of them and look for obvious signs of parking lot construction, but nothing yet. I'd really appreciate some sort of time frame as for when the NY area dealers will get theirs, and which dealers, if that's known yet.

Thanks again.

rslatkin said:

Indeed, that's where I leased my Leaf. I used the QC for the first time this week. Charged from 43% to 81% in about 16 minutes. It started out at 100A and tapered down to 40A or so by the time I stopped. A sales guy came by with a customer while I was charging to show the customer how the QC works. I think the dealer will benefit more from having real owners there charging than the cost of the electricity. I told the customer I love my Leaf (which I do) and how much I've driven it in the 4 months I've had it.

blueblob06 said:
A Nissan dealer told me over the weekend that "it's free to charge up at any Nissan or Ford dealer in the country". That is not correct, is it? NO, it is determined individually by each dealer.

Isn't it up to the individual dealer whether you're allowed to use their charger? Yes.
It's too bad that Nissan dealers are so much more often wrong than right...

Back