Nissan adding quick charging at 100 dealerships

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rslatkin said:
AutoNation Nissan in Marietta, Georgia is doing it right. They have a reliable Nissan branded unit, just the push of a button to use, a beautiful new dealership with a comfortable waiting room, and 24/7 access. Thanks for showing how it's done!

I really hope that this is an example that Nissan corporate is encouraging the other dealers that are receiving QCs to follow. Nissan should really discourage the keyfob system, especially since that eliminates after-hours charging, even at dealers that do not lock up their parking lots at night.

According to pics on Plugshare, another dealer in the Atlanta area installed an Eaton QC unit that is on the Chargepoint network, but apparently it isn't currently working. I wonder if Nissan is experimenting with installing those types of units, or if the dealer did that themselves?

Last check in on plugshare at Nissan of Duarte (near Monrovia 210/605) reports "dealer informs me they are getting a qc in two weeks"

Good location for one! :)

It looks like Nissan is going to put some serious money into expanding quick charging and not just at dealerships.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1087580_nissan-offers-15000-for-new-electric-car-quick-chargers-by-dec-31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan's EV Advantage program offers $10,000 to companies, groups, and others who install a publicly available quick-charging station using the CHAdeMO standard that's compatible with its Leaf electric cars.

KJD said:
It looks like Nissan is going to put some serious money into expanding quick charging and not just at dealerships.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1087580_nissan-offers-15000-for-new-electric-car-quick-chargers-by-dec-31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool - that should basically eliminate the hardware cost of the QC (if using Nissan QCs) - but installation costs are still substantial. Hopefully it works!

DNAinaGoodWay said:
And Japan is slightly smaller than California.
True, but California only has 30% of Japan's population, and it is people who drive cars, not square meters. Also, Japan's smaller size means that a nationwide network of QCs, and nationwide travel with a LEAF, is viable there, which it really isn't here.

Ray

Much of Japan is uninhabitable. The Northern territories are very mountainous with a light population. I did see a charging map for several towns in Japan and most fast chargers were 5-10 km apart. A perfect distance imm. But keep in mind; driving there is much different than here. Its slower (people simply drive slower) more organized, more efficient (well as efficient as it can be with the density of people there!)

But the same is true of CA. Most of its population is centered in a half dozen areas around the state. Now maybe I simply did not see maps for general highway use but it seemed like chargers on the highways between destinations were pretty lacking and if adding 700 more, I would think that is what they are looking at

johnrhansen said:
I thought Japan was kind of short on electricity lately with all their nukes shut down.

no. they did voluntarily reduce usage a bit which actually helped. unfortunately, NG replaced most of the nuclear power loss and its really killing their economy

NYLEAF said:
BBrockman said:
NYLEAF: Yes. QCs have been going in at a number of new locations. I will post an update with the latest info shortly. We typically leave it to the local dealer to promote availability of their own QC since they set the rules for access.

Thanks, that would be much appreciated. I don't feel as though the dealers in my area would reach out to Leaf drivers and advertise that they have a QC. I occasionally drive by a few of them and look for obvious signs of parking lot construction, but nothing yet. I'd really appreciate some sort of time frame as for when the NY area dealers will get theirs, and which dealers, if that's known yet.

Thanks again.

I'm also curious for an update and would love to get a QC in Denver. Any idea when we can expect to see the planned list of cities?

Thanks for reaching out to the LEAF community!

BBrockman said:
In the end, the individual dealer sets their guidelines for charging access. Nissan encourages them to be as inclusive and accommodating as possible.
Would you be able to share the options that are available to the dealer?

For example, is it possible for them to be added to an existing charging network (like AV), so that a customer can acquire a fob for that network?

On ChargePoint, I know they have the capability of setting stations to private. You have to get permission from the site to get your card activated for that station (or network of stations).

http://www.nissanqc.com/quotes/new?product_id=2#AccessControlNetworking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <-- Looks like it should be an option. If people could sign up for this, then they wouldn't need to do the hunt for the fob. Much more convenient.

i expect most the dealers will be like what we already have. It will be pull in, park "somewhere" go in, ask to charge, wait for someone with key, then go to charging station, call lot attendant to move the ICE'er from the charging station, park the LEAF, and charge.

There will also be a percentage (probably small) that will be more convenient "as long as they are not charging their fleet" or "you are next, after the Current lot LEAF is done charging" In a high volume dealership; that most likely means a 10-30 min wait

BBrockman said:
NYLEAF: Yes. QCs have been going in at a number of new locations. I will post an update with the latest info shortly.
How about that update with the latest info ?

Yeah, it's been almost a week and no updates... is there anything new to report? At this point I'm actually thinking other groups will be installing quick chargers in the area first. In fact, a local Kia dealership is rumored to be getting a Chademo charger by the end of the year. I think Nissan, if they don't atleast provide some more details soon, will lose some ground.

It was Wednesday, October 9, when BBrockman said "shortly", that was only 2 1/2 weeks ago.

"Shortly", in that world, could mean "by the end of the year"?

We'll probably see them on PlugShare first anyway.

BBrockman said:
Hi everyone:
First, I want to say that I know we owe you more answers on the replacement program. My apologies for the delay on that topic.
Until then, I wanted to share some information, which I hope is good news, on the expansion of our dealer quick charging program. Building on a pilot program of 24 dealers in five markets, we are now going to be adding quick chargers at 100 additional dealerships, focused in over 20 metro markets that are either currently top sellers or are showing increased growth potential.
I don't have the full list of 100 added dealerships to share at this point. However, the new chargers will start going in this summer, with installations continuing into the first quarter of next year.
To answer one question I expect to come up: dealers will set the terms of use for the charging units. So, they'll decide on details like cost, hours of operation, etc.

Brian
--
Nissan to Add Electric Vehicle Quick Charging at More Than 100 U.S. Leaf-Certified Dealerships

How about an update Mr Brockman ?
PLEASE ........

BBrockman said:
NYLEAF said:
Any further updates on this program? I've seen that two dealers in Georgia have gotten QCs installed recently. Anyone know of any others? It would be nice to hear from Nissan.

NYLEAF: Yes. QCs have been going in at a number of new locations. I will post an update with the latest info shortly. We typically leave it to the local dealer to promote availability of their own QC since they set the rules for access.
I usually defend Nissan to the hilt, but this is an example of bad communication. Its better to say nothing than to say you're going to post "an update with the latest info shortly then post nothing for a month.

Its all about expectations. Don't say you're going to do something and not do it. Better to never set the unmet expectation.

Back