Next San Diego EVent: Sat, Aug 9, 2014, CANCELLED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had about 10 people for breakfast. We got the scoop on a new DC charger that we've sworn secrecy on. I had the BC2BC LEAF there, and will have it at Plug In Day on Sep 23.

We learned that there is over 1700 EV's in San Diego (including Volt, I think).

TonyWilliams said:
We had about 10 people for breakfast. We got the scoop on a new DC charger that we've sworn secrecy on. I had the BC2BC LEAF there, and will have it at Plug In Day on Sep 23.

I visited San Diego last month and didn't see a single LEAF (okay, other than when we passed a Nissan Dealership). I did, however, see a female (late 20s, early 30s) driving a Volt going north on I-15 near the Safari Park.

I honestly was expecting to see more LEAFs in the wild in CA.

TNleaf said:
TonyWilliams said:

I visited San Diego last month and didn't see a single LEAF (okay, other than when we passed a Nissan Dealership). I did, however, see a female (late 20s, early 30s) driving a Volt going north on I-15 near the Safari Park.

I honestly was expecting to see more LEAFs in the wild in CA.

I see numerous LEAF's daily in my travels in San Diego.

We are planning a quick charge display like we had on April 7, 2012, for the Sept 23, 2012 Plug In Day event. Would anybody like to see it actually powered? Would anybody attend who might not otherwise if they could get power from this setup?

Would anybody like to participate in a "gaggle" non-parade starting from the California Center for Sustainable Energy parking lot ? Just to be clear, this is not a parade, or any other event requiring permits and other headaches with the city.

1. Suggestions for route -- I thought a loop through the Nissan dealer at 8118 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard would be fun (with coordination with them)

2. Suggestions for time --- 11am

3. Suggestions for ending point -- loop through Balboa Park for maximum people viewing? The distance from CCSE to the Nissan dealer is about 1/2 miles, and then to Balboa Park is about 11 miles. Lets say 23 miles roundtrip to return to CCSE. We can supply an 8 minute DC quick charge to every LEAF to provide that additional range. In three hours, from 8am-11am, we can do 18 cars at 10 minutes each, PER charger.

Sunday, Sept 23, 2012 is National Plug In Day. Being organized by the Sierra Club, Plug In America, and the Electric Auto Association, it will highlight the thousands of electric vehicles hitting our streets in cities nationwide and the opportunities a switch to EVs presents for reducing emissions and dependence on oil.

8:00 am

California Center for Sustainable Energy
8690 Balboa Ave., Suite100
San Diego, CA

http://www.pluginamerica.org/calendar/2012-national-plug-day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sierraclub.org/electric-vehicles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this does sound like fun - might bring the Volt this year. Let's hope Randy takes an equally cool photo this year!

pchilds said:
If I drive down from Temecula, I will need more than ten minutes on the DCQC.

Guys who need more could either arrive earlier, or top off after the event when you're going home. We'll have to make a list of those who REALLY need a charge, and those who just want to try it out. I think it'll all work out :cool:

I'll be bringing my "wide angle lens" so I can get all the cars in the photo that will come this year!!!! Last year we had just shy of 100 cars, but I'm hoping we can attract more people to come this year with all the activities and surprises that are being talked about....It should be a great media opportunity as well....

Can't wait!!!!

Randy said:
I'll be bringing my "wide angle lens" so I can get all the cars in the photo that will come this year!!!! Last year we had just shy of 100 cars, but I'm hoping we can attract more people to come this year with all the activities and surprises that are being talked about....It should be a great media opportunity as well....

Can't wait!!!!

Well... That picture from last year is a big sales tool to let folks know that this is the BIG TIME ! :mrgreen:

What parking pattern will you use this year? Circle? Spell out "EV" ? Mushroom cloud? Spell "NO GAS"? We can probably get a helicopter easy enough for a "right downwind departure" airborne picture

TonyWilliams said:
pchilds said:
If I drive down from Temecula, I will need more than ten minutes on the DCQC.

Guys who need more could either arrive earlier, or top off after the event when you're going home. We'll have to make a list of those who REALLY need a charge, and those who just want to try it out. I think it'll all work out :cool:

I'll try to get there by 7:30, if not it will be after.

Our charging display has now been increased to up to 6 DC Chademo chargers, however, I don't anticipate more than two being powered and operational.

Also, my latest parking suggestion is arraigning the cars to spell:

E L E C T R I C

NationalPlugInDay2012electric.jpg

The Quick Charge Power display at the National Plug In Day event in San Diego has given us the bad news: Pay a $2 million dollar insurance policy or don't bring our products. Oh, it also has a "30 day cancellation notice" rider for an event 10 days away.

Very disappointing, so anybody who was counting on a DC charge there, sorry we can't provide it. We will attempt to find other venues to operate our equipment for the celebration, but frankly, I'm sure most places have their plans already mostly finalized.

Back