Lithium ion batteries suspect in 787 fire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 2 of these packs used on the 787:

pic

The front one is the backup for the avionics as you describe, but it's this rear one that's the APU start battery, and it's this one that's had the problems. It's only other purpose is apparently to run the external navigation lights for un-powered towing.

Yes, I too don't understand why they don't just put a standard Ni-Cad unit in there like many other aircraft use. Maybe there's a power density issue, and they'd have to add 3. In an airframe that heavy, it seems like a drop in the bucket. In any event, it's not even needed unless you want a black-start without ground power.

-Phil

TomT said:
And then there is this... It was inevitable I suppose.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100397943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once "some observers" weigh in there's nothing more to be said on the subject.

Ingineer said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Ingineer said:
In an airframe that heavy, it seems like a drop in the bucket.
Compared to losing $10M a day?
That's what I'm saying, why would Boeing bother with Lithium when they could have used tried in true older tech? There's so much to risk!

-Phil
Probably because similar cells have been used in satellites and rockets for years without issue and the risks were well known and already engineered for. Someone screwed up big time in this design and/or construction. It's possible whatever flaw caused this could have caught another battery chemistry on fire as well.

Ingineer said:
In an airframe that heavy, it seems like a drop in the bucket. In any event, it's not even needed unless you want a black-start without ground power.

-Phil

The plane is already grossly overweight from the original design and performance promises. It all adds up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_power_unit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"APUs fitted to extended-range twin-engine operations (ETOPS) aircraft are a critical safety device, as they supply backup electricity and compressed air in place of the dead engine or failed main engine generator. While some APUs may not be startable in flight, ETOPS-compliant APUs must be flight-startable at altitudes up to the aircraft service ceiling. Recent applications have specified starting up to 43,000 ft (13,000 m) from a complete cold-soak condition such as the Hamilton Sundstrand APS5000 for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. If the APU or its electrical generator is not available, the aircraft cannot be released for ETOPS flight and is forced to take a longer non-ETOPS route.

APUs providing electricity at 400 Hz are smaller and lighter than their 50/60 Hz counterparts, but are costlier; the drawback being that such high frequency systems suffer from voltage drops.
"

B787 APU (it looks like it might have been built here in San Diego): This is one BIG auxillary power unit!!!

http://www.hamiltonsundstrand.com/vgn-ext-templating-hs/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=16eaaec96b991110VgnVCM1000007301000aRCRD&hsct=hs_news&ciid=df5076ae173d5110VgnVCM100000c45a529fRCRD&fromSearch=fromSearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The APS5000 APU features two 225 kVA, 230 VAC starter/generators, an eductor cooling system, variable speed operation, no-break power transfer capability and a 15,000 MTBO core engine design. The APU starts and operates throughout the airplane flight envelope. Hamilton Sundstrand Power Systems, based in San Diego, Calif., currently has more than 13,000 APUs in commercial and military service.

APS5000.jpg

It's possible the 2 MG's are redundant, which means they probably both can't pull 225kVa at once. Still, that's close to a quarter of a megawatt!

-Phil

I don't know... It is 1,100 hp, which would be about right for 450Kva...

Ingineer said:
It's possible the 2 MG's are redundant, which means they probably both can't pull 225kVa at once. Still, that's close to a quarter of a megawatt!

-Phil

Ingineer said:

-Phil

With typical transport category thinking, particularly ETOPS, I suspect both operate just as both "packs" operates to "P"ressurize and "A"ir "C"ondition the cabin. If one pack should fail, then a series of restrictions come in play (max altitude of maybe FL250 so that one pack can maintain a cabin pressure below 10,000 feet).

What you might not instantly consider is that if one propulsion powerplant should go offline, then the APU would be required to pick up the loss of electrical power, hence the gigantic reserve. I would imagine that this APU would automatically come only line for any loss of electricity ANYWHERE !!!

Both APU MG's probably spin at up to 550KVA combined output, and if one of them should go offline, then some restrictions come in play; the first would be no further ETOPS, and probably dropping one or more AC electrical buss(es), leaving only some primary A or B electrical buss, and probably an essential AC buss, and emergency DC bus.

Fun question: US Airways Captain Chesley Sullenberger III made what action first when his craft lost both (all) propulsion power on his fly-by-wire Airbus A320 ?

TonyWilliams said:
Fun question: US Airways Captain Chesley Sullenberger III made what action first when his craft lost both (all) propulsion power on his fly-by-wire Airbus A320 ?
Took control of the aircraft from the first officer. (Methinks it is not the answer you are looking for)

ebill3 said:
Took control of the aircraft from the first officer. (Methinks it is not the answer you are looking for)
Bill, I think it will have something to do with auxiliary power ;-)

ebill3 said:
TonyWilliams said:

"On page 206, Sully picks up where he left us on page 37, in an Airbus climbing out of LaGuardia with Jeff Skiles at the controls and the machine functioning perfectly. Sully says "there was no time for either of us to react [to the birds]. ... It sounded like the worst thunderstorm I'd ever heard back in Texas [as the birds hit the plane]." The smell of burning birds fills the cabin and the sound of failing engines reaches the cockpit. Sully notes that "the failure of even one engine had never happened to me before" (in his nearly 20,000 hours of flying)."

"Sully matter-of-factly notes that
he immediately switched on the auxiliary power unit (APU), but does not take enough credit for this singularly inspired act, for which he would have received no simulator training (the true airline pilot doesn't touch any switch until after finding and reading the appropriate emergency checklist). With the engines spinning down, the Airbus was a few seconds away from losing sufficient electric power to run the hydraulic pumps. Without hydraulics there would be no flight controls. There is an emergency backup ram air turbine (RAT; a window fan basically), but it doesn't run the whole airplane and is not something you'd want to rely on."

TonyWilliams said:
Sully matter-of-factly notes that he immediately switched on the auxiliary power unit (APU), but does not take enough credit for this singularly inspired act, for which he would have received no simulator training (the true airline pilot doesn't touch any switch until after finding and reading the appropriate emergency checklist). With the engines spinning down, the Airbus was a few seconds away from losing sufficient electric power to run the hydraulic pumps.
I guess this is a good argument for having an APU that can start fast, thus needing a beefy battery pack. (If your engine-derived electrical fails) I know my little teeny tiny 30kW (by comparison) Capstone turbine takes a couple of kW to start, and it takes a couple of minutes before it's ready to load.

Thanks for posting that, Tony!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I guess this is a good argument for having an APU that can start fast, thus needing a beefy battery pack. (If your engine-derived electrical fails) I know my little teeny tiny 30kW (by comparison) Capstone turbine takes a couple of kW to start, and it takes a couple of minutes before it's ready to load.

Here, check out this Airbus A320 APU limitations link:

http://www.inral.com/Atto/limitations/apu.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... and see how much a 90KVA APU gets derated in the thin high altitude air, with less O2 to burn and make power -AND- less air to cool the equipment.

90KVA versus 450KVA... eek!!!

NOTE: the term ISA is an "International Standard Atmosphere", a definition of pressure, temperature, humidity and so forth, under the SI convention. Generally speaking, standard temperature at sea level is 15C ISA, and decreases 2C per thousand feet. Air pressure at lower altitudes loses 1" of Hg per thousand feet, from sea level standard of 29.92" (1013.3mb/hPa).

NOTE 2: The following was the absolute largest APU in service, on the Airbus A380, before the Boeing 787:

A380 Fact Sheet_June 2011.pdf

"The [Airbus 380] APU comprises the Auxiliary Power Unit (APU), the electronic control box
(ECB), and mounting hardware. The PW 980A APU is the world's most powerful APU
[ya, before the B787], providing 1,800 horsepower... The primary function of the APU is to provide air to power the AGS on the ground and to start the engines. The APU also provides auxiliary electric power to the aircraft via two 120 kVA electric generators. The APU received type certification on Dec. 5, 2006."

The A380 uses four 150KVA electric generators, one on each of the four engines. Its final AC generator is the RAT/ADG emergency air powered unit, rated at 70KVA (yes, you could charge a LEAF with a CHAdeMO port on just the Ram Air Turbine / Air Driven Generator)

For DC, there are four 50ah NiCad batteries on the A380 (world's largest passenger plane); one for the APU, one for each of the following busses, DC1, DC2, and DC Essential.

It's actually quite amazing how much bigger the B787 stuff is:

There's only two engines, but it has four 250KVA starter/generators VARIABLE frequency (about 400hz), two on each motor, plus the two 225KVA starter/generators on the APU. The reasons are the electrically pressurized cabin takes.... 500KVA to power four motor pumps. Wing anti-ice takes 100KVA. The only bleed air is the engine cowl de-ice. This is the only plane with 230VAC, 3 phase, as all "legacy" AC power is 115VAC @ 400Hz. Therefore, the B787 is required to have 230VAC and 115VAC, plus a normal 28VDC system.

No hydraulic pumps are on the propulsion motors, and are also electrically driven; four EDMP's take a total of 400KVA. The control surfaces are still hydraulic, as would be the landing gear.

The engines do not use bleed air to start, therefore it takes 180KVA to start them.

And that is why those APU starter/generators are so f-ing big!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the first time that the FAA has grounded a passenger airliner since 1979. The FAA also announced plans to conduct an extensive review of the 787's critical systems. The focus of the review will be on the safety of the lithium-ion batteries[294] made of lithium cobalt oxide (LiCo). The 787 battery contract was signed in 2005, when LiCo batteries were the only type of lithium aerospace battery available, but since then newer types (such as LiFePO), which provide less reaction energy during thermal runaway, have become available. On January 20, the NTSB declared that overvoltage was not the cause of the Boston incident, as voltage did not exceed the battery limit of 32 V.

B787 has two lithium cobalt oxide (LiCo) batteries by GS Yuasa. One of the two batteries weighs 28.5 kg and is rated 29.6 V, 76 Ah, giving 2.2 kWh.

That's actually less total power than the four NiCads on the A380.

"The Senate's aviation subcommittee will investigate the FAA's oversight of the Boeing 787 design, Reuters reported on Wednesday. The hearing has not been officially announced but is expected in the next few weeks, according to an aide. Reuters also noted that under special conditions granted to Boeing by federal regulators in 2007, the lithium-ion battery was determined to be safe as long as if the battery caught fire during flight, the flames were contained and the smoke and fumes were vented. Boeing said redundant protections against overcharging made a battery fire "extremely unlikely," and if it did occur, the fire could safely burn itself out."

"The Air Line Pilots Association objected to the granting of the special conditions at the time, according to Reuters. ALPA wanted the FAA to require cabin crew to be equipped with fire extinguishers and training to put out a lithium-ion battery fire. Aviation analyst Richard Aboulafia talked with AVweb's Russ Niles this week about the 787 issues and implications; click here to listen to the podcast.
"

Back