Leaves in the Wild

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw an Ocean Blue Leaf as I was coming home from the Charger game last night. It was stopped at the intersection of La Costa Ave and Rancho Santa Fe Road.

jcesare said:
lonndoggie said:
Slowed down enough to see that it was 333.33 in the oval. Some fine print at the bottom, but wasn't able to make it out
I think it has to do with cycling. 333.33 m is the lap cutoff in sprint cycling on ovals. Races on ovals greater than 333.33 m in length last two laps, under last three laps.
Sounds like a good bet. There was only the one number, definitely 333.33, not 33.333 or other, no lat number.

Haven't seen it again, but I keep checking.

However...last night was my wife's office's summer party, held at the San Diego Botanic Gardens (formerly Quail Botanical Gardens). Leaving there we saw a white Leaf in the parking lot, with a license plate frame that something like "I'm a Leaf in the wind/Watch me...". Watch me...hrm. Well, it was something to the effect of watch me ride the wind.

Anybody here?

BTW, identifying mark for my car, if you get close enough and see me coming from the front side--one of these "evil eye" charms, picked up on our vacation, dangling from the rear-view mirror:

images

lonndoggie said:
However...last night was my wife's office's summer party, held at the San Diego Botanic Gardens (formerly Quail Botanical Gardens). Leaving there we saw a white Leaf in the parking lot, with a license plate frame that something like "I'm a Leaf in the wind/Watch me...". Watch me...hrm. Well, it was something to the effect of watch me ride the wind.

Anybody here?

Lonndoggie, that would be me... We were at the SDBG for family night.

The quote is "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar." Bonus points to anyone who knows the reference...

The quote is "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar." Bonus points to anyone who knows the reference.

Hoban 'Wash' Washburne - The Pilot (played by Alan Tudyk

lambert said:
Nice! SDBG is another great thing about living in Encinitas.
lambert said:
The quote is "i am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar." Bonus points to anyone who knows the reference...
I didn't (but Googled it, so now I do, but I still don't have context for it)...but it reminded me of a Brian Wilson lyric, but one with a quite different, dour outlook: "I'm a leaf on a windy day/pretty soon I'l be blown away." The song, "'Til I Die", is a beautiful lament about feeling hopelessly insignificant (not all Beach Boys songs were about sun, surf, babes and cars).

Not quite the same thing, eh?

lonndoggie said:
Wow, Tronz! Hard to miss that one!

Ya! I have seen lots of LEAFs in Laguna, PCH, Westside LA but this was the first one in MY town, Aliso Viejo. The kids spotted it first and I had to do a double take due to the commercial camouflage. The round logos say "Powered by Solar from our House". Good for them! I hope to see many more in AV soon.

Wife parked and charged our white LEAF (no plates yet) at South Coast Plaza around 4pm PT today (Friday, 8/12). When she came back, a silver one (also without license plates) was charging next to ours. She was excited as this was the first one she has seen outside of a dealership.

Kataphn said:
lambert said:

The quote is "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar." Bonus points to anyone who knows the reference.

Hoban 'Wash' Washburne - The Pilot (played by Alan Tudyk

I will admit I saw the movie "Serenity" twice (before Leaf delivery) and never noticed that line until I accidently stumbled across it (after Leaf delivery) in a Google search for quotes with the word 'Leaf.' Movie context aside, it seemed appropriately uplifting, reasonably obscure, and with just enough 'geek' factor to put on our Leaf's license plate frame.

lonndoggie said:
lambert said:
The quote is "i am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar." Bonus points to anyone who knows the reference...
I didn't (but Googled it, so now I do, but I still don't have context for it)...but it reminded me of a Brian Wilson lyric, but one with a quite different, dour outlook: "I'm a leaf on a windy day/pretty soon I'l be blown away." The song, "'Til I Die", is a beautiful lament about feeling hopelessly insignificant (not all Beach Boys songs were about sun, surf, babes and cars).

Not quite the same thing, eh?

Yeah, not the inspirational message I would want on the back of my car... ;)

Maybe this doesn't count as "wild", but they are on the Philly streets today en masse thanks to the Drive Electric event. The California 562 pre-production LEAFs are mostly sitting around in static displays, while some real production SLs are the ones they are driving today. I gave the drive crew a "Live long and prosper" wave as I drove by in my Chevy Malibu, which I am itching to trade for my very own LEAF.

tps -- it was definitely a rush being at the drive event in San Diego when that came by; I went twice, and spent a while standing on a street corner on the route, waiting for the next Leaf to go by, grinning like a foo', listening to the slight whir of tire noise on the slightly damp streets (it was a drizzly morning). So maybe not in the wild, but a significant moment, no doubt.

Meanwhile, in Carlsbad, at our youngest's morning soccer tournament game, there was a red Leaf, with the ubiquitous Mossy paper plates and a "2011 World Car Award" sticker in the rear window. Later, another red Leaf appeared--my father-in-law. And of course, our Lil' Bleu.

Coming home after his second came this afternoon, there was a silver one parked about 100 yards down our street from our house--hadn't seen one there before.

If Leaf-watching was like bird-watching, I'd definitely recommend serious Leafers come to Encinitas.

lonndoggie said:
there was a red Leaf, with the ubiquitous Mossy paper plates and a "2011 World Car Award" sticker in the rear window.
Saw that one a week or two ago.
lonndoggie said:
If Leaf-watching was like bird-watching, I'd definitely recommend serious Leafers come to Encinitas.
Heh - best sighting day so far, saw 3 today.

Silver one w/carpool stickers and 2 kids in the back going north on El Camino from Encinitas -> Carlsbad around 9:45am. Our kids exchanged waves. :)

2 more around 4pm:

Turning left/north onto El Camino from Garden View in Encintas (can't recall color - wasn't white)
Red LEAF turning left into Vons shopping center on El Camino.

Honking the horn or waving is so old school. :idea: What we need is a Carwings app that flashes the display when one Leaf is in close proximity to another Leaf!

Saw a lady in a blue one heading north on El Camino in Carlsbad this morning around 9:45 without any plates listening to 90.3 (I happened to be listening to the same station) who turned off on Town Garden before Palomar Airport.

My kids spotted one in Chula Vista heading east on H street (going opposite direction of me) yesterday around 7pm that I didn't notice until we passed it.

Seems like I'm seeing at least one LEAF a day these days!

Happy to be posting in here (although agree it should probably be a regional thread.. Sorry)
In 24 hours I saw two Leaves(?) in the wild, both within a mile of my house!
Several days ago a fellow blue Leaf on Walnut in Irvine, turned into the Woolet aquatic center/Irvine High.. The next day saw a black Leaf rolling down Irvine Center drive, turned north on Culver. Didn't catch either license.. Pretty cool though! I never had this experience in the EV1 other than planned meetings. I guess I'll get used to it :)

Since taking delivery (5 months ago) - we haven't seen a single Leaf in the wild (not counting get-together's, or Dealerships and such). Yesterday it finally happened . . . . . . my 1st "in the wild" sighting. As I got off work, it was parked right next to me ! !
:D
then2.jpg

Back