LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TickTock said:
I am in, of course. The features I am most interested in (in order of importance) are:

• 1) Access to all three canbus's (canbusi?) simultaneously
    2) Ability to read individual cell-pair voltages
    3) Tone proportional to brake_pressure*rpm (no tone below a certain threshold)
    • i) nice-to-have: geiger-counter style audible cue (chirps are all one frequency, but rate of chirps changes with wasted friction power)
    4) Ability to log all three canbus's
    • i) nice-to-have: Automatically log in continuous loop mode (overwriting oldest log file on sdcard) so latest log will be available as evidence in the event of accident
      ii) nice-to-have: ability to exclude certain frequent but uninteresting messages
    5) Ability to flash own firmware
    • i) nice-to-have: I know you plan to keep the firmware proprietary but perhaps providing a shell with basic canbus read/write and display subroutines would help kick-start a separate OpenSource project without exposing your "special sauce." This should improve your sales volume
    6) Ability to configure message decoding and display
    7) Ability to source user-definable messages onto a canbus (probably required for access to individual cell pair voltages and resetting DTCs)
    8) Separate user-definable display from main display (I log gids, battery voltage, etc every morning but then switch to a different mode for driving)
Sorry if this has already been indicated, but I thought of another feature I'd like:
9) Status logging: Every time the car is started, log an entry in a table of all programmed paramters (date, gids, SOC, ODO, GOM, bars, efficiency, battery voltage, temperature, tire pressure, etc). Also log when requested via the control buttons.

I do hope that people realize that every additional feature likely dictates an increase in price and/or an increase in how long it will be before the device is available...

TickTock said:
Sorry if this has already been indicated, but I thought of another feature I'd like

TomT said:
I do hope that people realize that every additional feature likely dictates an increase in price and/or a decrease in how soon the device will be available...

TickTock said:
Sorry if this has already been indicated, but I thought of another feature I'd like

+1

Installing the LEAFSCAN is dead simple, You simply plug it in and then find a place for it. The plug connects to a connector already present under the driver's side dashboard. No wiring or other electrical work needed. I'll post a video at some point.

-Phil

TickTock said:
TickTock said:
I am in, of course. The features I am most interested in (in order of importance) are:

• 1) Access to all three canbus's (canbusi?) simultaneously
    2) Ability to read individual cell-pair voltages
    3) Tone proportional to brake_pressure*rpm (no tone below a certain threshold)
    • i) nice-to-have: geiger-counter style audible cue (chirps are all one frequency, but rate of chirps changes with wasted friction power)
    4) Ability to log all three canbus's
    • i) nice-to-have: Automatically log in continuous loop mode (overwriting oldest log file on sdcard) so latest log will be available as evidence in the event of accident
      ii) nice-to-have: ability to exclude certain frequent but uninteresting messages
    5) Ability to flash own firmware
    • i) nice-to-have: I know you plan to keep the firmware proprietary but perhaps providing a shell with basic canbus read/write and display subroutines would help kick-start a separate OpenSource project without exposing your "special sauce." This should improve your sales volume
    6) Ability to configure message decoding and display
    7) Ability to source user-definable messages onto a canbus (probably required for access to individual cell pair voltages and resetting DTCs)
    8) Separate user-definable display from main display (I log gids, battery voltage, etc every morning but then switch to a different mode for driving)
Sorry if this has already been indicated, but I thought of another feature I'd like:
9) Status logging: Every time the car is started, log an entry in a table of all programmed paramters (date, gids, SOC, ODO, GOM, bars, efficiency, battery voltage, temperature, tire pressure, etc). Also log when requested via the control buttons.

nr56 is working on a bluetooth alternative to leafscan. From there, Android and iOS developers can get their hands dirty and have much wider options for doing what you suggest.

Would the Leaf Scan be able to be made compatible with DIY EV's that use off the shelf components for both A.C. & D.C. systems?
If so, that could be another bump in revenue for the Leaf Scan; perhaps as an EVSCAN? There's no fully developed instrument like yours
that is well received I don't think, for home built EV's.

Jim

TomT said:
I do hope that people realize that every additional feature likely dictates an increase in price and/or an increase in how long it will be before the device is available...
The beauty of LEAFSCAN is the user upgrade ability. I can release LEAFSCAN with an initial set of features then add new features as needed/wanted in the future. In addition, the LEAFSCAN will be user-extensible, without needing to learn full-scale software development.

A smartphone interface has been requested ad-nauseam and I am not convinced this is a good idea. At first thought, It sounds neat to have access to this information on your phone, but you have to realize that you'll want to have this available every time you drive. This means everytime you get into the car, you'd have to pull your phone out, launch the app, wait for it to connect, plug it in to your charge cord (to keep your battery from dying), put it into a mount/cradle, then when you stop, reverse this procedure. If you also want to use your phone for nav or music, as some people do, that just adds to the complexity. When you take calls, the app will disappear, and in fact, you may not even be able to use bluetooth for your call, as it will be in use by the data link to the car.

In addition, to have any reasonable market share, I'd have to support development on at least 2 different software platforms (ios/android) and even then many people will be left out because they have other phones. Let's not forget you also have sunlight readability issues, as most smartphone displays wash out in bright sun.

-Phil

Lightnme said:
Would the Leaf Scan be able to be made compatible with DIY EV's that use off the shelf components for both A.C. & D.C. systems?
If so, that could be another bump in revenue for the Leaf Scan; perhaps as an EVSCAN? There's no fully developed instrument like yours
that is well received I don't think, for home built EV's.

Jim
Unfortunately this is doubtful. Each home-built system is usually unique, and there is no data standard (is there is even data to begin with) from the various EV components.

Without a data link, you'd need to make connections directly to the various components, including high-voltage parts, and this would greatly increase the cost and design complexity. Support would also be a nightmare.

-Phil

I finally discovered this thread after seeing it mentioned in other threads.

I am IN of course for placing a pre-production order. I would be glad to be part of early beta-testing (as probably are most other folks on this thread).

Q: Have you tested your high-resolution SOC reading during QC ? Is it free of the substantial short-fall reading the gids show when the QC stops at "full" as reported on this other thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8331&p=185861#p185861

It would be nice to capture regen efficiency.

Agreed. It makes little sense to me and would not be a feature that I would consider desirable. I believe that a dedicated instrument makes far more sense.

Ingineer said:
A smartphone interface has been requested ad-nauseam and I am not convinced this is a good idea. At first thought, It sounds neat to have access to this information on your phone, but you have to realize that you'll want to have this available every time you drive. This means everytime you get into the car, you'd have to pull your phone out, launch the app, wait for it to connect, plug it in to your charge cord (to keep your battery from dying), put it into a mount/cradle, then when you stop, reverse this procedure. If you also want to use your phone for nav or music, as some people do, that just adds to the complexity. When you take calls, the app will disappear, and in fact, you may not even be able to use bluetooth for your call, as it will be in use by the data link to the car.

On the prototype, I currently have a high-resolution bar graph that reads battery amps. It can be seen in my second demo video. It's very sensitive and responds fast to what's going on in the Leaf, especially to your foot while driving. It's so much better feedback than the "bubbles" and even the round energy screen gauge on the nav head unit. It quickly teaches you the consequences of your actions and you can even see the effect of the climate control. It makes you a more efficient driver in short order!

It's hard to imagine how much a simple analog ammeter can improve your driving, but it does. To me, this is the most valuable thing on the LEAFSCAN.

-Phil

A miles per Pack-kW "meter" will vary in basically the same way as the Pack-Amps, but give more useful information.

With Pack-Amps, neither higher nor lower is "better", although with Speed and Pack-Voltage relatively constant, then "lower" is "better", but it does not easily help you adjust your speed for longer range.

With mi/kWh, then "more" is "better", it varies as rapidly as Pack-Amps, but it easily shows the beneficial effects of changing speed. One still has to mentally calculate "Remaining Range" from an estimate of the Pack's remaining "usable" kW-hours.

In the same manner, an "instantaneous" Estimated Remaining Range meter will also vary in the same "fast" manner, AND show directly-usable information, essentially no mental-math needed.

I keep wondering if there is some place better it could be installed in a Leaf. A few years ago I added a scanguage right into the dash of my 2008 prius by cutting a perfect hole, and tucking the outer layer inside the hole. It looked almost like it was supposed to be there from the factory. Here's a photo.
5341328236_39167d4aca.jpg

garygid said:
A miles per Pack-kW "meter" will vary in basically the same way as the Pack-Amps, but give more useful information.

With Pack-Amps, neither higher nor lower is "better", although with Speed and Pack-Voltage relatively constant, then "lower" is "better", but it does not easily help you adjust your speed for longer range.

With mi/kWh, then "more" is "better", it varies as rapidly as Pack-Amps, but it easily shows the beneficial effects of changing speed. One still has to mentally calculate "Remaining Range" from an estimate of the Pack's remaining "usable" kW-hours.

In the same manner, an "instantaneous" Estimated Remaining Range meter will also vary in the same "fast" manner, AND show directly-usable information, essentially no mental-math needed.
I'll be happy to include as many of these as you like. Just give me the formulas youd like to see implemented, and I can add them to the list.

Keep in mind there is little data that's as high-frequency as amps/volts. Speed obviously is a slow to update number. By having the ammeter, I can make use of the very high data rate to present both a high accuracy and a high refesh rate. (I'm performing software averaging for more accuracy) Now correcting amps with a speed or MPKw figure is doable and still having fast response.

-Phil

adric22 said:
I keep wondering if there is some place better it could be installed in a Leaf.
My current plan is to use Velcro to mount it in the recess at the left side of the dash where that tiny window is. Maybe it's just my driving position, but I can't see anything out that window except a short narrow slit of light, so it's a pure waste.

Ray

In considering mounting locations, positions, and in-use access ...

Any idea yet for these specs:
1. your goal for the LS's outside dimensions,
2. the rough diameter of the OBD cable,
3. where the cable might exit the box,
4. the position of any "user control(s)" (for in-use access).

Thanks for any guesses.

planet4ever said:
My current plan is to use Velcro to mount it in the recess at the left side of the dash where that tiny window is. Maybe it's just my driving position, but I can't see anything out that window except a short narrow slit of light, so it's a pure waste.
Great idea - me too.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back