LEAF Stolen!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is the best method. However, Nissan will unlikely provide you the SIM card info or anything at all.

Question: Where is the SIM card located inside the vehicle? Does anyone here know??

Assuming if one knows: We should take that SIM card out of the vehicle, pop it into a phone, and get all the information out for safe-keeping.

One would assume/think that Google should know something as well since there was a method to send a GPS direction directly over the mobile network to the vehicle. Does anyone know if using some Google tools which might aid in obtaining the vehicle's cell phone number?

If we have just the "cell phone number" of the vehicle, the police can locate the car closest to the cell tower.

2k1Toaster said:
donald said:
Following an incident where someone's Leaf mysteriously rolled off down the road .... have you checked the neighbour's garden? :twisted:

Seriously, sorry for the loss. Theft is a real invasion of your 'private space' and hope it turns out to be benign/towed due to misunderstanding over parking enforcement/etc..

The unique ID of the SIM card is still reporting to AT&T's towers now. If Nissan won't help you, AT&T will or at least the police can. Get the SIM number from Nissan, call that into the police. They can triangulate usually down to a few meters in urban areas.

It's possible somebody stole it without knowing what it was, now they are staring at it wondering WTH to do with it.
They may even start a new thread on MNL on how to monetize a stolen leaf.

MikeinDenver said:
TomT said:
A total waste of money on a Leaf.

Lasareath said:
Just buy LoJack. So much easier.

Agree. Much cheaper to just have a reasonable comprehensive deductible.

Remember though that invoking insurance has its own pitfalls, even with a zero deductible. If the car is not recovered, or recovered but found damaged to the point where it is a total loss, you will lose your down payment if you leased. If you purchased you will only get fair market value for the car unless you have a 100% replacement type comprehensive coverage. Even gap insurance won't help you get all your money back, as it only pays for any "gap" between the insurance proceeds and the outstanding loan value.

Plus if you got a very good deal with the original car, you may not get the same with your replacement, and losses often don't come during sales periods or when it's convenient for you to shop around for a new car.

RonDawg said:
Remember though that invoking insurance has its own pitfalls, even with a zero deductible. If the car is not recovered, or recovered but found damaged to the point where it is a total loss, you will lose your down payment if you leased. If you purchased you will only get fair market value for the car unless you have a 100% replacement type comprehensive coverage. Even gap insurance won't help you get all your money back, as it only pays for any "gap" between the insurance proceeds and the outstanding loan value.

Plus if you got a very good deal with the original car, you may not get the same with your replacement, and losses often don't come during sales periods or when it's convenient for you to shop around for a new car.

True, but honestly I would probably not want the stolen vehicle back. Just get me back to 0 so I can go get something else. That is my preference. Plus if you ever try to sell the car that is going to show on the reports and lower the value. So just another reason to not want it back.

As expensive as replacement Leaf parts are (and the sometimes long waits for them), I'm surprised these things aren't disappearing like crazy and stripped. Its anti-theft system isn't any more sophisticated than that of any other car.

Probably because there is no demand for them. There aren't that many Leafs out there yet - particularly ones needing parts. The ROI is far higher on things like Hondas and Toyotas...

RonDawg said:
As expensive as replacement Leaf parts are (and the sometimes long waits for them), I'm surprised these things aren't disappearing like crazy and stripped. Its anti-theft system isn't any more sophisticated than that of any other car.

MikeinDenver said:
RonDawg said:

True, but honestly I would probably not want the stolen vehicle back. Just get me back to 0 so I can go get something else. That is my preference. Plus if you ever try to sell the car that is going to show on the reports and lower the value. So just another reason to not want it back.

Unless the car was secreted away somewhere, or totally dismantled, or driven off a cliff or into a body of deep water, or exported out of the country, it will eventually be found by the police (often just accidentally) in which case your insurance company will make you whole using the least expensive (to them) method possible. If the car was found undamaged or in an economically fixable within a certain time frame, your insurance company is not going to pay to replace your car, even if you don't want the car back anymore.

RonDawg said:
Fear of the unknown ?

RonDawg said:
MikeinDenver said:
RonDawg said:

Unless the car was secreted away somewhere, or totally dismantled, or driven off a cliff or into a body of deep water, or exported out of the country, it will eventually be found by the police (often just accidentally) in which case your insurance company will make you whole using the least expensive (to them) method possible. If the car was found undamaged or in an economically fixable within a certain time frame, your insurance company is not going to pay to replace your car, even if you don't want the car back anymore.

I know this already because I work in insurance.

Institutionalised said:
My 2014 Nissan LEAF was stolen Friday (10/3). It was parked overnight and missing in the morning. Carwings showed a range of 60 miles which has since decreased to 59.

Does anyone know of a way for Nissan to provide location data as I have read on here that the car does report it.

Any help would be appreciated.
-Walking in Atlanta
Institutionalised said:
No luck from Nissan, they said unless LoJack was installed they cannot get any location data. The vehicle was/is an SV.

I was 99% sure it was towed (from a legal street spot) but after calling all of the 7 impound lots the city uses and after filing a police report and them doing their own search I don't have any other explanation.

The range is still showing 59 miles, so either no one is driving it or the module was stripped and still communicating that info.
These are the only two posts from this user... So either it's like donald suggested (ended up being an embarrassing situation), or he's fishing to find out how a Leaf could be tracked or otherwise identified...

DarkStar said:
Institutionalised said:
My 2014 Nissan LEAF was stolen Friday (10/3). It was parked overnight and missing in the morning. Carwings showed a range of 60 miles which has since decreased to 59.

Does anyone know of a way for Nissan to provide location data as I have read on here that the car does report it.

Any help would be appreciated.
-Walking in Atlanta
Institutionalised said:
No luck from Nissan, they said unless LoJack was installed they cannot get any location data. The vehicle was/is an SV.

I was 99% sure it was towed (from a legal street spot) but after calling all of the 7 impound lots the city uses and after filing a police report and them doing their own search I don't have any other explanation.

The range is still showing 59 miles, so either no one is driving it or the module was stripped and still communicating that info.
These are the only two posts from this user... So either it's like donald suggested (ended up being an embarrassing situation), or he's fishing to find out how a Leaf could be tracked or otherwise identified...

All you need is one post on MNL from an OP and the thread can go on for 60 pages on it's own. :lol:

RonDawg said:

They're probably not old enough to be showing up at less reputable body shops yet. Since Nissan makes the person who buys/leases the car sign a waiver and that indicates that in the case of an accident it has to go to a shop that can remove the battery and inverter the majority of leafs being crashed are probably ending up at the dealer owned/affiliated body shop. Those places are invested in selling new Nissan parts so they won't be shopping around for used parts.

DarkStar said:
More likely - not being a regular forum member - he has no interest in updating us.

If it's not found in 19 days, day 20 insurance will pay the owner off and the deal is done. That's one way to get top dollar for a used Leaf.

Back