LEAF Stolen!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some others have said:
Call the police. They can work with Nissan to find it. Don't try to recover it yourself!

Following an incident where someone's Leaf mysteriously rolled off down the road .... have you checked the neighbour's garden? :twisted:

Seriously, sorry for the loss. Theft is a real invasion of your 'private space' and hope it turns out to be benign/towed due to misunderstanding over parking enforcement/etc..

donald said:
Following an incident where someone's Leaf mysteriously rolled off down the road .... have you checked the neighbour's garden? :twisted:

Seriously, sorry for the loss. Theft is a real invasion of your 'private space' and hope it turns out to be benign/towed due to misunderstanding over parking enforcement/etc..

The unique ID of the SIM card is still reporting to AT&T's towers now. If Nissan won't help you, AT&T will or at least the police can. Get the SIM number from Nissan, call that into the police. They can triangulate usually down to a few meters in urban areas.

Another reason Nissan won't help: they sell the Vehicle Tracking and Recovery System (VTRS) as an option. If people found out the car was location aware without that upgrade, they would quickly lose the small market for that service.

A common tactic here is to break into a car, pop the transmission into neutral, and use another vehicle to push the car to a secluded area where they take 15 minutes to strip the wheels- then they abandon it. The car is likely on cinder blocks very close to where it was parked.

kubel said:
A common tactic here is to break into a car, pop the transmission into neutral, and use another vehicle to push the car to a secluded area where they take 15 minutes to strip the wheels- then they abandon it. The car is likely on cinder blocks very close to where it was parked.
is there a demand for the wheels on a Leaf?

What's the update on this?, What did the insurance company say?

Any word from the Police?

Institutionalised said:
My 2014 Nissan LEAF was stolen Friday (10/3). It was parked overnight and missing in the morning. Carwings showed a range of 60 miles which has since decreased to 59.

Does anyone know of a way for Nissan to provide location data as I have read on here that the car does report it.

Any help would be appreciated.
-Walking in Atlanta

You can't pop a Leaf in to neutral and even if you could, frankly, who would go to the effort of stealing the mediocre wheels that come on it...

kubel said:

TomT said:
You can't pop a Leaf in to neutral and even if you could, frankly, who would go to the effort of stealing the mediocre wheels that come on it...

The same people that would go through the effort of stealing a LEAF. :lol:

I'm guessing it wouldn't take much to break a parking pawl on a LEAF. As far as mediocre wheels, I assume this is at least an SV or SL since CarWings was mentioned. 2005 SL wheels aren't THAT bad. Thieves have stolen worse.

apvbguy said:
kubel said:

Doesn't matter about demand.

They steal what they can when they can. Stealing parts off cars while parked isn't a regular business. They are low on criminal experience, they want quick cash. The investment from a theif is time and risk not money. If they got it without getting caught then it was worth it for them. After they've paid for the socket and jack everything is profit (unless they steal those too LOL). With this type of theft the wheels are going to change hands a few times. The first person who buys it will probably pay a set price for a set regardless of what it's for and condition, ie $X for 16s, $X+ for 17s etc... This will be super low but it's what an adict/junkie/desperate person wants. If they know they need $500 they know they go out and get $500/X and they get what they need. Demand matters when the second or third person sells it and marks it up. Most OEM rims will probably go for snow tires, with TPS and be sold as "take offs". $700 added to the cost of tires for that would sound like a bargain and they will fit a lot of Nissans.

If it was a chop shop then yes they are targeting cars based on demand and all it takes for that is 1 leaf at a crooked body shop putting a call out to find "cheap used parts". If they are smart they would have pulled the sim card. If not since you are still getting carwings updates it may be sitting in a lot or street parked where they are waiting to pick it up later after they determine it doesn't have a tracker in it.

Perhaps the radio-silence since the OP indicates an embarrassing parking infraction, and consequent tow? :shrug: Excuse me for speculating in the absence of information.....

minispeed said:
apvbguy said:
kubel said:

Doesn't matter about demand.

They steal what they can when they can. Stealing parts off cars while parked isn't a regular business. They are low on criminal experience, they want quick cash. .
which brings us back to is there demand for the crappy wheels found on the leaf, if the thieves are interested in quick cash, who is paying that cash?

apvbguy said:
which brings us back to is there demand for the crappy wheels found on the leaf, if the thieves are interested in quick cash, who is paying that cash?

There doesn't need to be demand, did you not read my post before quoting it? They don't steal to satisfy demand they steal what is parked in a way that they think they can get at it and not get caught. Since the OP hasn't come back here to say they found the car then it's probably safe to say they didn't get caught. Also if they steal enough wheels off the same car then guess what.... they've just created demand.

The first buyer who will buy these will probably pay $50 to $100. There's profit just in the TPS there. If they sit on them for months and sell them for an insurance job on someone elses that got stolen as "used" or even just 1 or 2 to an accident repair at normal OEM wheel costs used for an insurance job would get them prob 50% of $350-$500 each wheel. Even if the buyer doesn't want the wheels if a usual guy brought them who produces good stuff the fence will buy them just to keep the relationship alive.

If no one buys it then the people who stole it don't really care the same way a legit business owner does if the product he bought wholesale can't be sold retail.

There's tons of cars that take the same tire as the leaf.

Go post a thread on kijiji craigslist etc... with your wheels for $200 and see what happens. I guarantee they will be sold quickly. Go to any used car store with 4 tires of any name brand in decent shape and you can get at least $15 a pop for them.

Also opinions vary, some people like the wheels. I don't think they look bad (I don't like the 17s). I'll be loaning my set out to my cousin for him to use as winters because he hates the look of cars on aftermarket wheels. For winters it's much better to use OEM wheels as most cheaper aftermarket wheels aren't finished to a high enough quality to resist the salt as well.

It wasn't towed, upon reporting it stolen to the police, the police runs the Vin number and can tell you what Tow yard to go pick it up. Towing yard report this info to the police depot. So the first thing you do is call your local police dept to see if some one has it.

If I recall, very little miles driven? Started at 60 miles & down to 59 miles? Possible joy ride, has to be close by within 3 mile radius.

Check Craig's List for Nissan Leafs forsale or Leaf parts like batteries.

What city are you located in?

Good Luck

Well, he did say he'd checked everywhere, but I don't understand why the Police don't ask Nissan to track the location. It is a mobile data signal and surely they can triangulate? It is done with mobile phones in emergencies, isn't it?

Wennfred said:
It wasn't towed, upon reporting it stolen to the police, the police runs the Vin number and can tell you what Tow yard to go pick it up. Towing yard report this info to the police depot. So the first thing you do is call your local police dept to see if some one has it.

If I recall, very little miles driven? Started at 60 miles & down to 59 miles? Possible joy ride, has to be close by within 3 mile radius.

Check Craig's List for Nissan Leafs forsale or Leaf parts like batteries.

What city are you located in?

Good Luck

If I was taking a car for a joy ride I would not be driving it in a nice economical take 1 mile of range off to drive 3 miles. It would be more like drove 1 mile and took off 10. The range drop is probably due to something small like the dome light being on long enough to change the calculation of 59.XX from rounding up to rounding down. They probably stole it with a tow truck.

If anyone has pulled the battery out of the car they are probably smart enough to not sell it on craigslist. You'll only see the easy to sell and impossible to trace items on there like tires.

OP silence could also point to insurance scam, makes it look like he's trying to get it back but it's at the bottom of a lake.... not trying to troll but it definetly happens.

Back