LEAF Stolen!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
minispeed said:
RonDawg said:
As expensive as replacement Leaf parts are (and the sometimes long waits for them), I'm surprised these things aren't disappearing like crazy and stripped. Its anti-theft system isn't any more sophisticated than that of any other car.

They're probably not old enough to be showing up at less reputable body shops yet. Since Nissan makes the person who buys/leases the car sign a waiver and that indicates that in the case of an accident it has to go to a shop that can remove the battery and inverter the majority of leafs being crashed are probably ending up at the dealer owned/affiliated body shop. Those places are invested in selling new Nissan parts so they won't be shopping around for used parts.

Nissan warns that the battery back should be removed prior to any body work that will require painting while attached to the rest of the car, but that can be done by anybody who knows what they are doing. Some shops will have a Leaf-certified Nissan dealer do it, others will do it themselves.

Less reputable shops probably won't be bothered to remove it at all, and the people who tend to use such shops do so because they want it done on the cheap (like a used car lot) and may not be concerned about where those parts originally came from.

pchilds said:
Can the insurance raise your rate for a stolen car? :twisted:

It is not a chargeable loss so that would not directly raise your rates no. They could generally go up though because of worse than expected losses on Leafs.

ILETRIC said:
If it's not found in 19 days, day 20 insurance will pay the owner off and the deal is done. That's one way to get top dollar for a used Leaf.
So if the OP theft is legitimate, insurance will pay on October 23 :?:
Is this the same in all states :?:
If vehicle is recovered after that insurance company owns it :?:

TimLee said:
ILETRIC said:
If it's not found in 19 days, day 20 insurance will pay the owner off and the deal is done. That's one way to get top dollar for a used Leaf.
So if the OP theft is legitimate, insurance will pay on October 23 :?:
Is this the same in all states :?:
If vehicle is recovered after that insurance company owns it :?:

It can be faster or slower depending on paperwork.

Nope. They count days, and after 19 days, at least in Ca, they offer payoff. My car was found day 20 and that was day too late. The payoff process had begun.

AAA paid me more than I could ever dream of for 94' Dodge Caravan. Btw I will never again buy any Chrysler product, because of the way they treated me at Dodge, so long as I live. The dealer in San Rafael actually went out of business. No surprise there.

ILETRIC said:
Nope. They count days, and after 19 days, at least in Ca, they offer payoff. My car was found day 20 and that was day too late. The payoff process had begun.

AAA paid me more than I could ever dream of for 94' Dodge Caravan. Btw I will never again buy any Chrysler product, because of the way they treated me at Dodge, so long as I live. The dealer in San Rafael actually went out of business. No surprise there.

I seriously asked someone I work with regarding it that handles vehicle damage and theft. So at least our company it can be faster.

wondering why everyone here thinks the LEAF was driven a mile based on Carwings estimate of remaining range?

if this is the case, then Carwings is much better than it was when I had it (don't miss it a bit btw)

they could have driven it to the next county and plugged it in

ILETRIC said:
The dealer in San Rafael actually went out of business. No surprise there.

Went out of business, or was forced out as part of Chrysler's government-ordered reorganization? The latter is the biggest reason why a Chrysler-branded dealer no longer exists today but did so right before the recession.

DaveinOlyWA said:
wondering why everyone here thinks the LEAF was driven a mile based on Carwings estimate of remaining range?

if this is the case, then Carwings is much better than it was when I had it (don't miss it a bit btw)

they could have driven it to the next county and plugged it in

I think repo man got it. OP is MIA.

My wife had a Chrysler some years back (actually two because they took the first one back as a lemon and gave her one a model year newer) and both were such a horrible car and an even worse dealer and corporate experience, that she has sworn that she will NEVER again buy any Chrysler product!

ILETRIC said:
Btw I will never again buy any Chrysler product, because of the way they treated me at Dodge, so long as I live.

And that is why it went out of business in Marin... Now, it is possible it has cropped up somewhere else. I obviously don't care to know or even look up.

My Suburban was stolen from a Home Depot lot but showed up the next day in the Best Buy parking lot next door, missing a bunch of parts. Always look around the neighborhood.

Not a bad idea to put one of the key tag RF locating devices in the car. The thief's own phone may end up forwarding the location of the vehicle!

So my 2016 Leaf SV was stolen and I know EXACTLY where it is thanks to the Leaf app. However, that happens to be in someone’s garage in a very bad part of town. I filed a police report and showed them where the car was and they said they’d look into it. Several questions 1) why would you steal a leaf?; 2) how would you steal a leaf?; and 3) what is the benefit of the location service of the police aren’t going to do anything with the information?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sethjohnson80 said:
So my 2016 Leaf SV was stolen and I know EXACTLY where it is thanks to the Leaf app. However, that happens to be in someone’s garage in a very bad part of town. I filed a police report and showed them where the car was and they said they’d look into it. Several questions 1) why would you steal a leaf?; 2) how would you steal a leaf?; and 3) what is the benefit of the location service of the police aren’t going to do anything with the information?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Theft doesn't seem to be a top priority. For one thing, police count on you having insurance. And thieves don't generally make the court system much payback. I think they will get a warrant because of probable cause. It is very hard to have patients under these circumstances. Good luck!

I assume you gave the insurance company the same information? They at least have a financial interest in a quick recovery and may well push the police to move on it...

Back