LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubo said:
I hope that's the case, instead of the quiet being due to a mad scramble to get something that isn't ready... ready.

I think you are confusing Nissan with Tesla, except Tesla is like the Lady who complains too much. :D

There is a vestige of the vertical row of LED's:

2018-nissan-leaf-spotted-during-photo-shoot--image-via-broom_100616368_m.jpg

Durandal said:
jhm614 said:
I think I like the re-design but I need to see it 'in the metal'. Not sure about the black roof though - that's not really Texas-friendly in the Summer. Either way, it's nice to see Nissan's current design language applied to an EV.
Yeah, I hate the two tone appearance with black on the top.
Could the "black" roof actually be a glass roof? That was my initial impression, although the pictures aren't clear enough to tell.

The rear support pillars are the same black, so I don't think it's a glass roof. What we may be seeing is a sunroof, with the rest of the roof painted black to disguise it...

I thought it looked like they'd lowered the Gen 2.

Might keep from using some of the trails I take my 2011 over, but surely a positive development for the vast majority of LEAF owners:

Aug 3, 2017

It's amazing when nothing holds you back

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The new Nissan LEAF will feature improved aerodynamic design that makes it even more efficient, allowing drivers to travel farther on a single charge. Aerodynamics is key to how efficiently an electric car moves. Less drag and better stability enable the vehicle to drive longer distances before having to recharge.

The redesigned next-generation Nissan LEAF is lower to the ground, helping it realize zero lift for better stability at high speeds. Other new design features significantly stabilize the car when hit by strong crosswinds.

Inspired by airplane wings, Nissan engineers recreated the ideal shape for the new LEAF, enabling a symmetric air flow that helps it slice through the air for a smoother, more efficient journey.

Nissan established itself as a pioneer in the EV movement by launching the LEAF, the world's first mass-market electric vehicle*. Today, the Nissan LEAF is the world's best-selling electric vehicle with more than 277,000 units sold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrNIvSQXRXg

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/it-s-amazing-when-nothing-holds-you-back

Drag Coefficients:

Leaf 1.0 - 0.29
Model 3 - 0.23
Leaf 2.0 - How low can they go?

jdcbomb said:
Drag Coefficients:

Leaf 1.0 - 0.29
Model 3 - 0.23

Based on the spy photos and what I know about other cars, I would guess 0.25-0.26.

Notice they also specifically mention "zero lift" for stability. That means that Cd wasn't their only consideration, so I doubt it will be very low.

jdcbomb said:
Drag Coefficients:

Leaf 1.0 - 0.29
Model 3 - 0.23

And remember, when C & D did an independent wind tunnel test, they got .32 for Leaf 1.0

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/drag-queens-aerodynamics-compared-comparison-test-drag-queens-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-7

So, we should take the new number with a grain of salt. But if it is accurate, the drop could actually be higher than the difference between .29 and the new cD.

I'm hoping that is not too low, given it definitely is easier to get in and out of in the current gen. I'm going to assume that the battery in the floor will mean it's still high enough.

I wonder for each 0.01 unit decrease in drag what is the efficiency or range gain if all things held equivalent? (Weight, Power, Surface).

Cd is almost meaningless
CDa is what you need for comparison

CDa improvements are seen pretty much as linear improvements at speeds above 55mph

Meaning a 10% improvement in CDa is a 10% improvement in highway range.

rmay635703 said:
Cd is almost meaningless
CDa is what you need for comparison...
But we only have gen 1 LEAF dimensions so far, to compare with T 3.

2017 Nissan LEAF Dimensions:

175" L x 70" W x 61" H

Tesla 3:

Length 184.8 in
Width 72.8 in
Height 56.8 in

I think we can expect the much-lower Tesla 3 to have higher efficiency at very high speeds, but maybe only higher than legal in most of the USA.

The LEAF should outperform the 3's efficiency in stop-and-go (city) and mountain driving, due to a higher Regn recovery rate (FWD) and( likely) lower weight and higher drive-train efficiency.

I agree that the Cd is likely to be about 0.25. The Renault Eolab is 0.235 in its base mode, and it drops to 0.227 with active aero features deployed. It also has plan taper, which makes a big difference.

NeilBlanchard said:
I agree that the Cd is likely to be about 0.25. The Renault Eolab is 0.235 in its base mode, and it drops to 0.227 with active aero features deployed. It also has plan taper, which makes a big difference.

So what would this increase mean if the Leaf still had a 24 kWh battery? Mean what would the change from .29 (or maybe .32) to .25 do for in the range of a current Leaf? Or do we need CDa to make that calculation?

jhm614 said:
NeilBlanchard said:

So what would this increase mean if the Leaf still had a 24 kWh battery? Mean what would the change from .29 (or maybe .32) to .25 do for in the range of a current Leaf? Or do we need CDa to make that calculation?
Just to preempt cwerdna, it's CdA ;) https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/dragco.html

I don't really care what the CdA is. My concerns
- will the battery last 150,000 miles (my first Toyota went 230,000, second is being driven by nephew - pushing 300,000 miles. AWD Dodge Grand Caravan was at 180,000 when someone pulled in front of me...I keep my cars a long time My 2011 Leaf battery was about shot when I crashed it at 53,000)
- After my crash I refuse to get a car without collision alert - I like ACC, lane-change blind-spot warning, and rear cross-traffic alert to help me back out of a parking spot between two trucks sized to compensate for the owner's insecurity/inadequacy.
- Can I sit in the back seat with plenty of head room? - On the last cross-country trip with friiends, I drove the Honda Fit, rather than the Volt because none of the 6-footers would sit in the back seat of the Volt.
- Every Saturday, I drive 100 miles each way to work - no electricity there. Can I make it home without having to stop at EVgo for 1/2 hour?
- Can I use DCQC (Chademo vs SAE makes no difference-the stations in Albuquerque are bisexual) w/o needing to pay $750?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back