LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A new photo has surfaced over night. This time in red. I think it looks quite nice. Much better then the black roof photos.

http://www.autofilou.at/2017/08/so-kommt-der-neue-nissan-leaf.html

The red one doesn't have a black roof.If you click on the picture it blows it up to a bigger size, admittedly with poor resolution. The C pillar is clearly painted the same body colour and you can catch glimpses of red in the roof. The C pillar of the rear Leaf is obviously black and continues into the roof.

Some more leaked photos... So far, I am not impressed... It is surprisingly plain...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-it-a-micra-nissans-new-leaf-blows-across-twitter-1502104087?tesla=y&mod=e2fb

TomT said:
Some more leaked photos... So far, I am not impressed... It is surprisingly plain...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-it-a-micra-nissans-new-leaf-blows-across-twitter-1502104087?tesla=y&mod=e2fb

Behind paywall.

2018 Nissan Leaf: first glimpse at specs and prices

...Notice that the 2018 Nissan Leaf is bigger and heavier than the outgoing 2017 version. However, Nissan managed to make it more efficient by improving the aerodynamics and the powertrain.

The specs of the electric motor (110 kW) and battery (40 kWh) offered without a price increase...
http://pushevs.com/2017/08/07/2018-nissan-leaf-first-glimpse-specs-prices/

https://www.autobytel.com/nissan/leaf/2018/specifications/

https://www.autobytel.com/nissan/leaf/2018/configurator/

I'm a little bit disappointed that it seams to be ~110 Lbs heavier, and have no more interior space than the Gen 1, if the autobytel specs are to be believed.

Not looking too good (so far) for the significant efficiency gains I was hoping for.

GetOffYourGas said:
NeilBlanchard said:
We know the current Leaf's frontal area: 24.5 sq ft and the Cd as tested by Car & Driver is 0.32, so that CdA is 7.8 sq ft.

If the new Leaf has a Cd of 0.25 and the same frontal area, the nthe CdA would be 6.125 sq ft. That is a about a 21% decrease. That could drop the highway consumption from 267.5Wh/mile to 212Wh / mile - which is better than any other EV, at this moment.

I'm wondering if they haven't also reduced the frontal area by making the car lower. Lower Cd, Lower A, doubly lower CdA.

Lowering the car by itself won't help the Cd - and it could harm it. The only area saved is the width of the tires x the height drop.

If they could use video side mirrors, it would decrease the area by about 1 sq ft and lower the Cd by as much as 0.01. This would be quite significant.

The 40kWh is in line with what many here expected. The real question in my mind is whether or not they have put active thermal management into the Leaf. I still could consider a lease on a Leaf, especially if the pricing is low enough. But the 40kWh battery with the pricing level expected should give it an edge over the Kia Soul EV and other pure BEV offerings from other automakers except for the Bolt and the Tesla Model 3, of course which are in limited availability. (Why GM isn't rolling out to dealers faster is beyond me, maybe dealers don't want them?)

I think Nissan is smart by pursuing the lower-cost BEV market, they can maintain relevancy until they get their battery supplier situation worked out.

WetEV said:
TomT said:

Behind paywall.
The WSJ article contains no additional pictures. Just a link to this twitter with the same two pictures as above: https://twitter.com/netz_VELLFIRE/status/893593130800340992/photo/1
TOKYO—A month before the introduction of Nissan Motor Co.’s NSANY -0.15% new electric-powered Leaf model, leaked photos from inside the factory where the car is being built have given a good glimpse of what it looks like despite Nissan’s best efforts to keep it under wraps.

Nissan is betting heavily on the new Leaf to reassert its electric-vehicle leadership, which has been much touted by Chairman Carlos Ghosn.

That title is being challenged, especially by Tesla Inc.’s TSLA -0.35% sleek new Model 3. Around half a million people have paid $1,000 to reserve a Model 3, around twice the number of Leafs sold cumulatively since its launch in 2010.

A Japanese-language Twitter user calling himself Blue Miata posted two slightly blurry photos showing the front and the rear of the new Leaf model as it came off the assembly line. “I work at a Nissan-related workplace. I discovered the new Leaf on the inspection line at the Oppama plant,” the user wrote.

A person familiar with the matter confirmed that the images showed the new Leaf.

The car seen in the photo is reminiscent of the new Nissan Micra, a gasoline-powered model that went on sale in Europe earlier this year.

That could bode poorly for the new Leaf’s prospects in markets like the U.S., where demand for the similarly styled Chevrolet Bolt have been tepid. Nissan has been planning a splashy launch of the new Leaf next month, dribbling out information including a silhouette of the car.

Nissan has said that the vehicle will be equipped with the ProPilot autonomous-driving suite and have a range of around 200 miles to 300 miles on a single charge.

“The world premiere for the new Nissan Leaf with ProPilot will be on Sept. 6, 2017. We will provide more details then,” said a Nissan spokesman.

Some analysts thought the new Leaf would resemble Nissan’s IDS concept car, which it has shown at motor shows in recent years.

Instead, the photos suggest the new Leaf takes its style cues from Nissan’s mass-market vehicles, like the Micra and Note. Nissan hopes to boost volume of the Leaf in response to Tesla’s Model 3.

Responding to the leaked photos, one Japanese-language Twitter user posted a picture of the edgier IDS car and asked, ”Why don’t they put this on the market?”

Another commented about the new model Leaf, “You mean this isn’t a Note?”

Leaked images of coming car models are nothing new, but it is less common for them to come from the factory floor.

A Norwegian news website last month posted a series of photos that it said came from an apparent filming of a commercial. Car makers try to keep the appearance of a new vehicle under wraps, in part to avoid the sort of negative chatter surrounding the new Leaf.

Write to Sean McLain at [email protected]

NeilBlanchard said:
Lowering the car by itself won't help the Cd - and it could harm it...
I expect you are wrong, but perhaps no need to argue, as if the autobytel specs are to be believed, the 2018 is actually 0.4 inches taller than the 2017.

Durandal said:
...The real question in my mind is whether or not they have put active thermal management into the Leaf...
The good news is likely to be no pack insulation or liquid coolants.

It's more likely the Gen Two might come equipped with placebo ATM, a system to blow cooled air over the pack, which will be next-to-harmless in reducing efficiency, and also do next-to-nothing to increase pack life.

The real question in my mind is if the Gen two has new pack architecture, or if it's just the same old "30 kWh" pack, with improved cells allowing somewhere between 36 and 40 available kWh under test conditions

We may not know the actual available kWh, until we can estimate that number from the efficiency and range on the window sticker.

...A Japanese-language Twitter user calling himself Blue Miata posted two slightly blurry photos showing the front and the rear of the new Leaf model as it came off the assembly line. “I work at a Nissan-related workplace. I discovered the new Leaf on the inspection line at the Oppama plant,” the user wrote...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-it-a-micra-nissans-new-leaf-blows-across-twitter-1502104087?mod=pls_whats_news_us_business_f

I suspect this means the new LEAF will be available to buy, at least in Japan, by close to the official roll-out, in ~4 weeks.

So the gen 2 LEAF will likely beat the Tesla model 3 to production.

If the leaks are accurate the identical wheelbase and interior seating dimensions point to an extremely heavy refresh of the existing car as opposed to a new platform.

The 110 kW motor is much more stout and the pricing certainly looks reasonable. If the Leaf S is a $29.9k car with 150 miles of EPA range and decent standard equipment levels I think it will sell quite well, particularly with Nissan's common incentives after the new wears off. If the SL includes ProPilot that will also be a unique selling point.

Nissan might just hit the sweet spot of the market with that sort of value proposition. $20,000 after state and federal incentives in California for 150 miles would sell like hotcakes.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
If the SL is $7k more than the base S, while still at 40 kWh, makes no sense. Still hoping they're hiding the 60 kWh.
The SL trim may include PRO-PILOT.

IF Nissan wants to sell LEAFs in large quantities,
The S could be available for about $15k in CA, after $10k state and federal incentives and the discounts from list, which will likely come only a few months after the intro.

That's ~$13k for the many CA buyers who qualify for low-income CARB credit.

I tried using the configurator, but it's stuck on the S model. I want to know what options the SV and SL will have, although the big bump in price for the SL will likely result in me getting another SV, even if the SL has cloth seating available now.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but I pretty much nailed this quite a while ago. They reused most of Leaf 1, with a nearly 150HP motor and 40kwh pack, giving them enormous savings in production and development costs. Unless they really screwed up, this Leaf should be fun to drive even at highway speeds, while having the range that most (but not all) of us need and a very good price. I hope the pack is better than the 30kwh 'Canary' they use now, and there aren't any production glitches.

One slip. So the configurator does work! Can the pro Pilot package be added to the SV?

You have to select the trim under Build My Own. Yes, ProPilot is available on the SV for the same $900.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back