Jumping another vehicle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
The DC-DC converter protects itself. It will perform voltage foldunder if overloaded, I've already checked.
Sweet! Thanks for confirming, Phil! In which case it will definitely be better to leave the car on to jump another vehicle as you originally said.

If they're going to buy an ICE just have them save $1000 and use a manual transmission. Then get out and push the car until the driver pops the clutch and move on about business =)))

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I can confirm that the LEAF can jump start another car without any issues while it's running. Connected positive and negative to positive and negative of the Crown Vic's battery, then connected positive to the LEAFs positive battery and negative to the top connector on the DC/DC charger. Let it sit for a minute or two and then hopped in the Crown Vic and it started right up with the LEAF running in park. Disconnected and no problems to report.

jumpleaf.jpg

kubel said:
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I can confirm that the LEAF can jump start another car without any issues while it's running. Connected positive and negative to positive and negative of the Crown Vic's battery, then connected positive to the LEAFs positive battery and negative to the top connector on the DC/DC charger. Let it sit for a minute or two and then hopped in the Crown Vic and it started right up with the LEAF running in park. Disconnected and no problems to report.
Good Job! You did it properly too!

I've done it several times now, and even charged two large 115ah deep-cycle batteries using the Leaf as an ad-hoc Lead-acid battery charger. It jumps/charges way better than most ICE alternator equipped cars!

-Phil

Completely agree. When I had to jump the same car from the Focus, it struggled. It ended up taking a few minutes of revving before I had enough juice to turn the starter. I think the LEAF is an excellent car for jump starting other cars.

I jumped my 2001 5.4L F150 a couple days ago. Been in storage with a 5w solar maintainer. It turned over slowly for a bit and then click click click as the voltage dropped before it would fire. Connected my cables (#6) direct battery to battery with LEAF running. Gave it two minutes and F150 fired up easily. Just a data point that it worked for me.

I will be updating the charge maintenance on the truck to avoid a repete.

FYI, the battery in the F150 is almost certainly now trashed so I'd consider a replacement.

smkettner said:
I jumped my 2001 5.4L F150 a couple days ago. Been in storage with a 5w solar maintainer. It turned over slowly for a bit and then click click click as the voltage dropped before it would fire. Connected my cables (#6) direct battery to battery with LEAF running. Gave it two minutes and F150 fired up easily. Just a data point that it worked for me. I will be updating the charge maintenance on the truck to avoid a repete.

I tried to help an ICE driver yesterday with a jump from the LEAF accessory battery. After we determined there was a problem with his ground strap we were able to get the starter to click but no more. I came to the conclusion that the Accessory battery was not capable of providing the starting current the ICE needed. His jumper cables were very thin so it is very possible that my conclusion is not correct and it was his cables not capable of carrying that current.

I will have to keep in mind the technique of waiting a few minutes to allow the subject vehicle a chance to charge its battery off the LEAF with it running. Though in yesterday's case it would not have helped because of his defective ground strap.

I had another car go by us while we had the LEAF connected to the ICE, who yelled, "An electric car jumping a regular car?" I said ya we're trying. He gave thumbs up. Ultimately I had to give up and let another ICE do the job.

jimcmorr said:
I tried to help an ICE driver yesterday with a jump from the LEAF accessory battery. After we determined there was a problem with his ground strap we were able to get the starter to click but no more. I came to the conclusion that the Accessory battery was not capable of providing the starting current the ICE needed. ...
Did you turn the LEAF on? That would have brought the DC-DC converter on line and should have given you as much power as any ICE's alternator.

I did not but I will know if this should happen again... to turn the car on and let the subject vehicle battery charge a little before trying to start it. This in this case was, the ground strap did not make a connection with ground on the car. We don't know why but I proved it by running a jumper cable from the neg batery terminal to a metal ground and the car turned slowly.

Due to the length of the jumper cables (and the typical wire size), you generally cannot jump another vehicle without starting (or turning on) the host vehicle. Not only will this help "trickle-charge" the dead car battery, but under load will hopefully provide enough "oomph" to get things going.

Yes, you absolutely must have your LEAF in ready mode. Also, heed my warning about NEVER connecting ANYTHING directly to the LEAF's negative battery post EVER! (Always connect to the DC-DC or other shiny metal)

The minimum you should wait with the 2 cars connected before attempting to crank the dead ICE is 2 minutes. If it still fails to crank properly, wait 5 minutes more.

-Phil

Thanks Phil, for the warning. Out of ignorance I did use the battery for connections but the car is working okay. Perhaps the fact that the jumper cables seemed to limit current kept me from getting in trouble. I have an appointment for the annual battery check today. Hopefully if I did something it will be turned up then.

5W solar maintainers are useless.. you need something bigger, perhaps 15W with a regulated output so the battery is not cooked.

Ingineer said:
Yes, you absolutely must have your LEAF in ready mode. Also, heed my warning about NEVER connecting ANYTHING directly to the LEAF's negative battery post EVER! (Always connect to the DC-DC or other shiny metal)

The minimum you should wait with the 2 cars connected before attempting to crank the dead ICE is 2 minutes. If it still fails to crank properly, wait 5 minutes more.

-Phil

Hi Phil,

Any chance you could post a picture of where you should connect the negative battery post?

Ingineer said:
kubel said:
Good Job! You did it properly too!

I've done it several times now, and even charged two large 115ah deep-cycle batteries using the Leaf as an ad-hoc Lead-acid battery charger. It jumps/charges way better than most ICE alternator equipped cars!

-Phil

No, it was not connected properly. Read the post again Phil. He posted that he connected the neg cable to the Crown Vic's neg battery post, but it should have been connected to its engine block.

Here's the procedure: (LEAF is in Ready mode)

Disclaimer: There's always a possibility something could go badly wrong. Wear protection for eyes and skin. You could die, you could destroy one or all nearby vehicles! You have been warned!

1. Be sure all unattached jumper cable clamps are not touching each other or anything else conductive.
2. Connect the positive (red) jumper cable clamp to the positive terminal of the dead car's battery.
3. Connect the other positive jumper cable clamp to the LEAF's 12v battery positive terminal.
4. Connect the negative jumper cable clamp to the dead car's negative battery terminal.
5. This is the final connection, connect the negative jumper cable clamp to the LEAF's DC-DC converter negative terminal. You can locate this by following the heavy wire from the negative battery terminal.

It is not necessary to connect the negative clamp on the dead car to it's engine block. The reason for doing this is to keep sparks well away from the battery. You always make the final connection to negative and always away from the battery, and always on the "good" car, as it's battery is already charged and in little danger of exploding should something go wrong.

Allow at a minimum of 2 full minutes before attempting to start the dead car. If it doesn't crank fast, immediately stop and wait some more. If after 10 minutes it won't crank, you should trow in the towel; Something is wrong.

Always disconnect in reverse order, so once the dead car is running, disconnect the negative clamp from the LEAF's DC-DC.

-Phil

TomT said:
FYI, the battery in the F150 is almost certainly now trashed so I'd consider a replacement.

smkettner said:
I jumped my 2001 5.4L F150 a couple days ago. Been in storage with a 5w solar maintainer. It turned over slowly for a bit and then click click click as the voltage dropped before it would fire. Connected my cables (#6) direct battery to battery with LEAF running. Gave it two minutes and F150 fired up easily. Just a data point that it worked for me. I will be updating the charge maintenance on the truck to avoid a repete.
Battery in the truck is fine BTW.

Thanks for posting that Phil! I (we) will be a safer jumper if the situatoin should present itself again.

:)

Thanks for all the great jump starting an ICE with the LEAF information Phil! :D :D
Used my 2011 LEAF to jump start 94 Taurus SHO the other day for the first time.
I had a fully charged 12V portable battery that I tried first, but it was inadequate for the task.
LEAF DC to DC converter had the ability to crank the ICE without any problem.
LEAF is the best ICE jump starting tool around.

Back