July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ All the early reviews of the Focus EV says it sorta sucks. Too heavy in all the wrong locations. But, I hope they sell every one they make.

TRONZ said:
^ All the early reviews of the Focus EV says it sorta sucks. Too heavy in all the wrong locations. But, I hope they sell every one they make.
One particularly scathing mini-review from a Roadster/LEAF owner who's borrowing a Focus EV:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4886-Ford-Focus-EV/page15?p=134459&viewfull=1#post134459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You liked it? I'm borrowing one right now. I hate it. Zero trunk space. Fuel filler door mechanism is really stupid. The fuel filler lights don't turn on until AFTER you plug in (it doesn't help you see anything while you're trying to find the plug in the dark). Lots of wind noise on the freeway compared to the Leaf. Horrible analog gauge cluster. No way to turn off the auto-lock-the-doors-when-you-drive feature. Don't get me started about the headrests. Worst part of all.... you'll never guess in a million years.... ready????

*** HORRIBLE THROTTLE RESPONSE ***

Yes, you heard me. It's worse than my Acura with automatic transmission.

Why people get so worked up around frills and fringe items like, fuel door, dash gauges, even trunk space, glove compartment, etc.. I never understand. For an EV at this stage, all that should matter is:

- driving experience: zippyness, wind noise, etc..
- range
- range, again
- charging mechanisms, time to charge, etc..
- battery capacity, reliability, longevity, BMS
- performance of battery under extreme weather conditions
- cost of ownership in 5+ years: Fed/state credits, maintenance, etc..
- interior space capacity: 4 or 5 passengers, leg room
- of course, range again

mkjayakumar said:
...even trunk space...
Trunk space is important here. Because of the limited trunk space, some of our trips to Costco, like the one today, will have to be done in the HCH.

While I tend to agree with you in terms of the *importance* of the other items, I must say that I regretted not having some features I would have liked in the HCH, so I vowed to get an EV that was fully loaded when I purchased one. Our SL has a nice complement of creature comforts. Unfortunately, some of them could use some polish to be ready for primetime.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4886-Ford-Focus-EV/page15?p=134459&viewfull=1#post134459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yikes! Well, from the looks of those EV's in his garage I would call his opinion very well informed.

.... how could Ford have screwed up throttle response in an EV???

Because some of us prefer to drive real cars... I, for one, am not willing to sacrifice such things just to drive an EV... YMMV.

mkjayakumar said:
Why people get so worked up around frills and fringe items like, fuel door, dash gauges, even trunk space, glove compartment, etc..

TomT said:
Because some of us prefer to drive real cars... I, for one, am not willing to sacrifice such things just to drive an EV... YMMV.

mkjayakumar said:
Why people get so worked up around frills and fringe items like, fuel door, dash gauges, even trunk space, glove compartment, etc..

Totally agree. There is no excuse for screwing up the simple stuff on a car that has already sold in huge ICE numbers. If their excuse is "these problems occurred because its an ICE conversion"... then maybe they should not have converted an ICE in the first place! They can't have it both ways.

And if we ever want to get the masses in to EVs, we have to stop thinking that way! They will NOT accept that it has to be that way because it is an EV/EV conversion!

TRONZ said:
TomT said:
mkjayakumar said:
Totally agree. There is no excuse for screwing up the simple stuff on a car that has already sold in huge ICE numbers. If their excuse is "these problems occurred because its an ICE conversion"... then maybe they should not have converted an ICE in the first place! They can't have it both ways.

Don't know whether it is a supply issue or not ... but someone posted this on the Seattle FB page.

I was at Nissan of the Eastside today. The Leaf in the showroom had an ADM OF $5,000. Absolutely rediculous!

evnow said:
Don't know whether it is a supply issue or not ... but someone posted this on the Seattle FB page.

I was at Nissan of the Eastside today. The Leaf in the showroom had an ADM OF $5,000. Absolutely rediculous!
Checked inventory of couple Seattle dealers and it looks like they had reasonable number of MY12 and couple MY11. Wonder what is going on with that unrealistic price?

Japan EVs sales in 2012:

Nissan Leaf:
I - 987
II - 1079
III - 699 (Lowest in 7 months)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV:
I - 341
II - 446 (peak)
III - 117 (Lowest in 8 months)

Mitsubishi Minicab-MiEV:
I - 467
II - 590 (second best month)
III - 123 (Lowest in 4 months)

so sales are down in japan too

hey , think those japanese Nissan stores are tacking $5,000 ADM on the sticker ?

I understand fully the need to profit on a car sale , but any dealer ADDING $5K TO A LEAF OR VOLT OR fOCUS ev IS just not doing things right

still I dont think thats the issue with 370 US sales in april

we all have wanted EV cars for years and took the Leaf because it was first and, but to most an EV is just nuts.
it will take years for the average Joe to see EV as an acceptable alternative (think EV SUV's)

Me, I enjoy not putting $400 in gas in my commuter car each month!
$45 in electricity works just fine.!

I don't know if it is related, but I was in Japan in April and several of their largest multi-national corporations posted record quarterly losses that approached a billion US dollars each! :shock: Perhaps there have been cutbacks inside these companies going on prior to their announcements that were, and are still, impacting consumer spending...

Renault finding it difficult to move Fluence ZE ? From Tesla forum ...

Renault announce attractive EV Offer - 2 years free battery rental, 5 years unlimited warranty

Fluence Z.E. or Kangoo Z.E. for up to one month extended test drive from local dealerships. At the end of the trial, the customer will have the choice to either purchase an Electric Vehicle with 2 Years FREE Battery Rental and 5 years unlimited mileage warranty, or hand back the vehicle to the Dealer.

Customers who purchase a Renault electric vehicle will get a free wall box, your fuel station at home, fitted free of charge by the ESB, giving you a further saving of €1,000.

http://www.renault.ie/media/about-renault/news/att00436812/ze_pr_250412.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The hard part for Nissan begins now. Until now they have been selling to people who already wanted an EV ... I bet they can move a good many Leafs by loaning it for a month.

RegGuheert said:
I don't know if it is related, but I was in Japan in April and several of their largest multi-national corporations posted record quarterly losses that approached a billion US dollars each! :shock: Perhaps there have been cutbacks inside these companies going on prior to their announcements that were, and are still, impacting consumer spending...

i have read several articles about small business owners whose primary livelihood was supporting large Japanese corporations going out of business by the hundreds every month due to very large cutbacks in manufacturing in Japan.

Japan is known for Big Screen TVs but have lost or outsourced more than 75% of the volume to cheaper Asian Countries. this has put 1000's of parts suppliers out of business.

Right now, Japan is facing a major task in realigning their country away from manufacturing and towards intellectual property development of which they currently control a ton of.

this also helps them reduce power needs (another well known issue) and reduce their raw materials import needs as well. so its a win-win for them if they can pull it off

so the TN/GB Leaf plant is really part of an emerging picture of Japan's future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back