July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Train said:
It's a quality of life issue and the reality is people will get tired of paying $5 a gallon just to be humiliated by a bunch of powerful EV's.

Oh yes, that's it. Because the Leaf is SO powerful. :lol:

A couple of better words might be "nimble" and "responsive", especially at low to moderate speeds.

Certainly beats any of the various high-mpg four-bangers (and turbo-lagged, turbo-charged four-bangers) I've driven over the past thirty years, especially given how heavy the car is.

davewill said:
Up to now, the oil industry has been very adept at keeping gasoline prices in the US right on the edge of too high to afford, and I see them continuing to do so for a long time.
I don't think that they can - production costs have risen very rapidly which is the #1 reason that oil has increased 4-5x over the last decade is that all the cheap/easy oil supply has reached a point where it can't meet world demand.

Sustained high oil prices are what have enabled the oil fracking boom - the technology isn't new, it's been around for decades - it's just that with oil over $100/barrel they can finally afford to get it out of the ground and still make some money.

Word is out that much of the new oil coming online costs $80-90 / barrel to produce. Global oil production has been pretty much flat over the last 7-8 years - you'd think that a 4-5x increase in price would encourage lots of extra production but it simply has not surfaced.

Saudi Arabia is the only country who claims to have capacity to spare - but that spare capacity only amounts to a couple percent of world-wide consumption (not to mention that it's mostly sour crude which few refineries can handle - the US has the best refineries for this which is why we've been importing more crude from KSA recently). KSA is smart - they sure aren't going to go 100% production when they know they're the only ones who can do it - especially when their own oil consumption is growing at a rapid rate and they need the money to keep their residents happy.

Be glad that most of us here already have our EVs - it's fairly amazing that the majority of the population simply does not get it and thinks that business-as-usual will and can continue.

I drove a Scion xB loaner from TW Tint and it could not even hold 55mph up the hills of the 73 toll road. I could not believe it was floored and was so weak. For fun, I later ran the LEAF up the 73 at 85mph and it even had more left in it.

Train said:
Even if the vehicles sell poorly right now, they know that it is only a matter of time before gas prices reach $5 per gallon, then $6, then $7, etc. At some point people will flock to electric cars simply because they won't be able to afford to drive a gasoline car anymore.

No, they will simply drive less. They will not go out and buy a $35,000-$38,000 car +tax, title & license because gas is another dollar a gallon higher. Especially if your car is paid off.

Lots of people will do lots of different things. There are always people in the market for a new car, and some are in the market for a car in this price range. So while it may not be common to run out and replace a perfectly good vehicle with an EV, it can certainly be an option for people who are considering a new car anyway.

And our little cho cho boy would never tell a lie, huh?

"...cho-cho?" I guess I'm supposed to be offended. :eek: :lol:

Yeah, lying about a test drive. :roll: I guess when your argument go south, the name calling is next.

I'm also posting from deep inside Big Oil's command bunker. :D

cars taken in trade

06 Jeep Cherokee for a small pickup that gets 27 mpg hwy

2000 Escalade for Chevy HHR 32/22 mpg

2005 Sport Trac (explorer with a bed...kinda like "frankentruck") for Escape

2010 Mercury Grand Marquis (ya, thats right, 2 years old with 22,000 miles on it) for Chevy Malibu (33 mpg highway. this guy lost a TON on the trade)

people are trading for higher mileage and ya, not all can afford a $30,000 option. Gas is $4. when its $5 what they can afford to do will go higher. its all relative

Weatherman said:
Train said:
It's a quality of life issue and the reality is people will get tired of paying $5 a gallon just to be humiliated by a bunch of powerful EV's.

A couple of better words might be "nimble" and "responsive", especially at low to moderate speeds.

Certainly beats any of the various high-mpg four-bangers (and turbo-lagged, turbo-charged four-bangers) I've driven over the past thirty years, especially given how heavy the car is.
AIUI turbo lag is much reduced these days, and since the turbo ICE is a lot lighter than an EV I doubt that the EV is faster except off the blocks up to maybe 20 mph or so. As a representative of the current small turbo four-banger, here's the numbers for the Cruze Eco (a manual, so slower in accel times than an automatic):

ACCELERATION TO MPH
0-30 2.5 sec
0-40 4.2
0-50 5.8
0-60 8.1
0-70 10.8
0-80 13.9
0-90 17.6
0-100 22.8
PASSING, 45-65 MPH 4.5

And here's the numbers for the Volt, Leaf and Prius respectively:

ACCELERATION TO MPH
0-30 3.2 3.1 3.0
0-40 4.7 4.7 4.8
0-50 6.5 6.9 7.0
0-60 9.0 9.7 9.7
0-70 11.8 13.2 13
0-80 15.2 17.8 17.2
0-90 20.0 23.9 22.4

PASSING, 45-65 MPH 4.8 5.6 5.5

All data is from Motor Trend tests. As you can see the Cruze handily beats the others despite being penalized by having the only manual in the bunch.

Guy (1988-2002 Subaru GL Turbo 4WD wagon)

GRA said:
Train said:

Certainly beats any of the various high-mpg four-bangers (and turbo-lagged, turbo-charged four-bangers) I've driven over the past thirty years, especially given how heavy the car is....
I'm not saying those numbers lie, but there's something quite different about how the Leaf accelerates that belies its merely average stats. Maybe there are a bunch of cars that will beat it off the line, and I can't really put my finger on it, but I am always jumping way out in front of the other cars at green light without really trying. Near as I can tell is the Leaf accelerates at or near it's full capability effortlessly, while most gas burners put up such a ruckus using their full acceleration potential drivers tend not to punch it unless they really have the need.

Sorry for not heeding the admonishment to stay on topic. FWIW I think (fear) there is validity to Train's naysaying. I'm reminded every day there's just a whole world full of people out there for whom a car is something you put gas into so matter-of-factly that the whole idea of an EV is not even on their radar, never getting to the point of even weighing the pros and cons.

http://logsoku.com/thread/kohada.2ch.net/auto/1334111096/ID:U9ES7OZs0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Japan, Leaf, March 2012: 699

Navidad: that String theory explanation clearly proves that Einstien was wrong.

Seriously, what am I supposed to learn from that page ? Rather how am I supposed to read it?

Google Translator was minimally effective but did change some of the text to a vaguely understandable form. dont know how you got 699 but it "appears" the lifetime for Japan might be 13,094?? and US is 11,795??

navidad said:
http://logsoku.com/thread/kohada.2ch.net/auto/1334111096/ID:U9ES7OZs0

Poetically upbeat (I think?) translation by Google of a comment :

Also w 699 units in spite of the valley of subsidy
w stand out when compared to its strength Aimibu
anti-dazed, loss of self-confidence, w big victory Nissan Leaf w watery eyes

edatoakrun said:
navidad said:

so what is "your" translation? i mulled over several thoughts and came up with nothing fully coherent

guessing this to mean some sort of incentive expired so sales were surprising good?

w stand out when compared to its strength Aimibu means a higher than expected ratio of electric/gas cars Nissan sold

anti-dazed, loss of self-confidence, w big victory Nissan Leaf w watery eyes meaning?? despite relatively low sales figures, Nissan still considers this to be where they wanted to be and are confident for the future?

Train said:
And our little cho cho boy would never tell a lie, huh?

"...cho-cho?" I guess I'm supposed to be offended. :eek: :lol:

Yeah, lying about a test drive. :roll: I guess when your argument go south, the name calling is next.

I'm also posting from deep inside Big Oil's command bunker. :D
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room! :lol:

DaveinOlyWA said:
edatoakrun said:
navidad said:

so what is "your" translation? i mulled over several thoughts and came up with nothing fully coherent

guessing this to mean some sort of incentive expired so sales were surprising good?

w stand out when compared to its strength Aimibu means a higher than expected ratio of electric/gas cars Nissan sold

anti-dazed, loss of self-confidence, w big victory Nissan Leaf w watery eyes meaning?? despite relatively low sales figures, Nissan still considers this to be where they wanted to be and are confident for the future?

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.
Temba -- his arms open.
Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel.

Time to go wipe my watery eyes!

Nissan LEAF Sales Dip to 2012 Lows With 370 Units Sold. Ghosn Urges Patience.
6 days ago by Jay Cole

http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-sales-dip-to-2012-lows-with-370-units-sold-ghosn-urges-patience/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An interesting battery supply issue explanation for low LEAF sales/supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back