July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
evnow said:
The hard part for Nissan begins now. Until now they have been selling to people who already wanted an EV ... I bet they can move a good many Leafs by loaning it for a month.
Nissan is committed to this long term. Even if the vehicles sell poorly right now, they know that it is only a matter of time before gas prices reach $5 per gallon, then $6, then $7, etc. At some point people will flock to electric cars simply because they won't be able to afford to drive a gasoline car anymore. I'm not sure what price gasoline has to reach to cause this, but it is a given that it will happen. As long as Nissan has the production capacity to meet that need when it comes, I think they will benefit from all of the research and development. Not only that, but if you'll remember when the Prius first came out lots of folks were concerned about reliability and battery failures. But now that it has been out for years people no longer worry about that. I think the same will be true with the Leaf. That is why it is good to have some cars on the road for a few years, even if it is not a lot. When the gas prices go up a few years from now people will be able to look at the Leafs like ours that have been on the roads for years and see that they are reliable.

gotta remember gas has been 8-10 $ per gal in othr countries for months or years , and they dont flock to ev's

Loaning a Leaf is a great idea to sell the car, but..... we all know what happened to many press and magazine reviewers who took home cars and tried to live on L1

the results are poor!

much hard work ahead for Nissan in the USA on ev acceptance rate.

kmp647 said:
gotta remember gas has been 8-10 $ per gal in othr countries for months or years , and they dont flock to ev's

Loaning a Leaf is a great idea to sell the car, but..... we all know what happened to many press and magazine reviewers who took home cars and tried to live on L1

the results are poor!

much hard work ahead for Nissan in the USA on ev acceptance rate.

over 1000 sold in Norway in 6 months for a country of 5 million is not "flocking?"

Yes, I'd definitely have to say that it is NOT flocking... Like in the U.S. and elsewhere, there is always a strong early adopter rush which is more or less meaningless in determining the overall long-term demand... The second full year will much more tell the tale of demand...

Though, I do think that Europe stands a better chance than the U.S. since they have an extensively multiplying QC network... Nissan made a bad mistake here by not requiring dealers to have QC stations and it is likely to hurt them for quite some time.

DaveinOlyWA said:
over 1000 sold in Norway in 6 months for a country of 5 million is not "flocking?"

yup a QC at all nissan dealers would help

great way to sell the car at the store, demo a quick charge

Nissan needs to actually make avail these promised lower cost QC

and get them in to dealerships

kmp647 said:
gotta remember gas has been 8-10 $ per gal in othr countries for months or years , and they dont flock to ev's . . . . . . . . snip
gotta remember, in many countrys that charge $8 a gallon ... the lion's share of commuters use public transportation ... so the over all ratio of auto drivers is smaller. that being the case, the # of EV's is smaller.

kmp647 said:
yup a QC at all nissan dealers would help

great way to sell the car at the store, demo a quick charge

Nissan needs to actually make avail these promised lower cost QC

and get them in to dealerships

This would be much easier if those QC devices were single phase.

TomT said:
Yes, I'd definitely have to say that it is NOT flocking... Like in the U.S. and elsewhere, there is always a strong early adopter rush which is more or less meaningless in determining the overall long-term demand... The second full year will much more tell the tale of demand...

Though, I do think that Europe stands a better chance than the U.S. since they have an extensively multiplying QC network... Nissan made a bad mistake here by not requiring dealers to have QC stations and it is likely to hurt them for quite some time.

DaveinOlyWA said:

the biggest reason Norway's sales are so high is there is no "sales tax" on the vehicle. normal sales tax (they call it something else but essentially the same thing) on a regular car can run 20-55% so a Leaf is literally a bargain for anyone who can live within its range. now popping QC's all over the place will insure its success as well. so, i am guessing the sales will remain high as long as the incentive is in place. now, keep in mind, Norway reportedly has a DOZEN EV options but up to now, they were limited in size, range and comfort

adric22 said:
... Even if the vehicles sell poorly right now, they know that it is only a matter of time before gas prices reach $5 per gallon, then $6, then $7, etc. At some point people will flock to electric cars simply because they won't be able to afford to drive a gasoline car anymore. I'm not sure what price gasoline has to reach to cause this, but it is a given that it will happen. ...
The problem with this assertion is that it may be VERY long term. Up to now, the oil industry has been very adept at keeping gasoline prices in the US right on the edge of too high to afford, and I see them continuing to do so for a long time.

davewill said:
adric22 said:
... Even if the vehicles sell poorly right now, they know that it is only a matter of time before gas prices reach $5 per gallon, then $6, then $7, etc. At some point people will flock to electric cars simply because they won't be able to afford to drive a gasoline car anymore. I'm not sure what price gasoline has to reach to cause this, but it is a given that it will happen. ...
The problem with this assertion is that it may be VERY long term. Up to now, the oil industry has been very adept at keeping gasoline prices in the US right on the edge of too high to afford, and I see them continuing to do so for a long time.

Trying to price right underneath the "demand destruction level" is pretty new and essentially proof of Peak Oil. Let's remember, the prime indicator of Peak Oil will not be a sudden lack of oil, but high prices that drive down demand so no one see's the oil shortage! This is where we have been since 2008 and why the world economies are struggling and sluggish under the high price of crude.

Now that we are moving onto the back side of the Peak Oil bell curve, yes, slide downward in supply the oil industry will sell every gallon of gas THEY HAVE at $6 then $7 then $8 then $9 then $10....... etc.

Even if the vehicles sell poorly right now, they know that it is only a matter of time before gas prices reach $5 per gallon, then $6, then $7, etc. At some point people will flock to electric cars simply because they won't be able to afford to drive a gasoline car anymore.

No, they will simply drive less. They will not go out and buy a $35,000-$38,000 car +tax, title & license because gas is another dollar a gallon higher. Especially if your car is paid off.

Unfortunately, if that does happen, you will likely see the destruction of the U.S. and world economies since petroleum is used for the production of so many other critical products beyond simply fuel...

TRONZ said:
Now that we are moving onto the back side of the Peak Oil bell curve, yes, slide downward in supply the oil industry will sell every gallon of gas THEY HAVE at $6 then $7 then $8 then $9 then $10....... etc.

Actually they are just buying more fuel efficient conventional cars. The problem with this is that your random new high mileage car is an amazingly gutless wonder! A LEAF rips the throat out of these cars everywhere it goes. It's a quality of life issue and the reality is people will get tired of paying $5 a gallon just to be humiliated by a bunch of powerful EV's.

Lots of new EV's will be lining up at stoplights over the next few years. Game On!

It's a quality of life issue and the reality is people will get tired of paying $5 a gallon just to be humiliated by a bunch of powerful EV's.

Oh yes, that's it. Because the Leaf is SO powerful. :lol:

TomT said:
Unfortunately, if that does happen, you will likely see the destruction of the U.S. and world economies since petroleum is used for the production of so many other critical products beyond simply fuel...

TRONZ said:

Yes, sorry to stay OT but that's where we are already. Look what happened right before the financial collapse in 08, we had the highest fuel price in history... people HAD to buy it so couldn't pay their other bills... things collapsed. Peak Oil means its HALF gone, not that it's all gone. But it also means that oil is no longer abundant and will only go to the highest bidder. This is where the crazy price ride begins. It only takes two fools HAVING TO HAVE something for all bids to go crazy. We have a billion or so of these fools driving around. The real key is when do you get off the ride.

No economy, personal or global can get back on track until they have a hedge against oil prices. Otherwise, oil prices won't kill you but it's all you will be working for. Not much of a life but one the oil companies are happy to see people adopt.

Train said:
It's a quality of life issue and the reality is people will get tired of paying $5 a gallon just to be humiliated by a bunch of powerful EV's.

Oh yes, that's it. Because the Leaf is SO powerful. :lol:

You have clearly never driven one :shock: .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back