Jamb this in your LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahagge said:
Actually, if it DOES become the standard and is picked up by the automakers, your new LEAF (and mine) will likely take about a 30% hit in resale value, especially if Nissan doesn't offer a low-cost retrofit. And of course it will instantly kill any CHAdeMO fast-charger rollout here in the USA. So I think the impacts may be felt sooner than you think, perhaps even before it's standardized.

When buying my LEAF I decided I wanted to keep it until he wheels drop off. As the first BEV it will become obsolete for a variety of reasons very quickly. So the depreciation hit will probably be big, regardless if the quick charge port nonsense goes ahead or not. The only thing that may help preserve resale value will be gas going up in cost significantly, the opposite of which is happening at this time.

My real concern is that the USA will 'stand alone' with a USA only standard, which will only hurt us in the long run.

RikiTiki said:
The NEW PLUG ROCKS!!!!

Stop resistng change people and wake up its A COOL ALL-IN-ONE PLUG for ALL!
Dont let subliminal message titles influence you people so easily lol. Sheesh sheeple!

Its not a Monstrosity its a GREAT PLUG for all that it does! Im glad SAE finally showed a final prototype even before finalization. But no more stalling SAE 7 more months is to much to finalize it - lets get moving the WORLD is waiting!
Ok, there you have the widom of SAE - Yep ... for all that it does ... which btw is nothing.
:roll:
SAE ... :lol:
It's like putting a gardener that doesn't speek the native language in charge of a multi national corporation.

Looks like someone took it from Photoshop to a 3d printer. I'm sure if Ford and other car makers had EVs out now this would not even be a topic. The stupidity of this is the charge port door still needs to remain quite large.

Yet another deterrent to the installation of QC stations. As if the high cost of those stations and the lack of a clear business model to recover that cost wasn't enough. Plus an added cost for all EVs- Auto makers will need to supply and support two varieties of QC ports and associated electronics, depending on the country they plan to sell them in.

charlie1300 said:
Yet another deterrent to the installation of QC stations. As if the high cost of those stations and the lack of a clear business model to recover that cost wasn't enough. Plus an added cost for all EVs- Auto makers will need to supply and support two varieties of QC ports and associated electronics, depending on the country they plan to sell them in.

I suppose the car markers are used to it. Cars made for California emissions regs are necessarily different from those sold elsewhere. Why not bring the same insanity to electric vehicles too!!

Our tax dollars at work....

JPWhite said:
Oh and if anyone tries to tell you 110 is safer than 220, volts don't kill, amps do. Some argue 220 is safer because the higher voltage makes your muscles jerk away with more force, so you are less likely to get a lethal jolt.
I hope people reading this will do their own research. Don't tell me I can stick my fingers in a 240 volt socket and fare just as well as if I touched the terminals of a 12 volt battery, because I know better than that. Don't go telling me that "volts don't kill, amps do", because we both know it's not that simple. Different voltage and amperage combinations can affect a human in very different ways. If the voltage is low enough (like a 12 volt battery) it's not going to affect you, regardless of current potential. And if the voltage is very high and switched at certain frequencies, it passes over the skin and doesn't affect you. However, 240 volts and 120 volts are both potentially fatal. The main thing is, one should exercise care around electricity, and the manufacturers should design their products with sufficient insulation, grounding, and other safety features to minimize the hazard that does exist.

johnr said:
However, 240 volts and 120 volts are both potentially fatal. The main thing is, one should exercise care around electricity, and the manufacturers should design their products with sufficient insulation, grounding, and other safety features to minimize the hazard that does exist.
The guys at work seem to think getting bit by 120V and even 240V isn't usually too bad, but getting bit by 460V will "sit you on your ass". I've always respected the voltage I've worked around, sometimes up to 10 kV, and haven't gotten bit since I was young.

JPWhite said:
Cars made for California emissions regs are necessarily different from those sold elsewhere.
Not trying to go off topic but no one prevents auto makers from selling a vehicle that passes California emissions in other states as far as I know.

how about we dub it "the protest plug", as the SEA's attempt to stymie the spread of EV's!

So, seems like we hate it, whose got a plan for response, the address/contacts for giving feedback?

Its interesting that neither Ford or GM plan to sell cars that use the L3 port, its no skin off their nose to delay a connector adoption.. but I'm sure everyone reading this knows that already.

mitch672 said:
no one has stated the obvious: what is the insertion force required for that plug? I don't think weak/frail people will even be able to mate that connector together.
ADA compliance was actually a big design issue for this plug. Apparently the CHAdeMO plug does not meet ADA requirements.

JPWhite said:
Most of world is on 220-240 AC. USA is 110. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country Why? Back in the day electric utilities were interested in maximizing their profit, 110 represents a way of selling twice the energy to shine the same 60 Watt light bulb. Twice the energy, twice the revenue. Europe and the rest of the world adopted a more efficient system, the USA a more profitable (but wasteful) system.
Nonsense. Apart from the fact that the reference does not say 110 (it says 120 V), energy is not measured in amperes, as you seem to believe. It is measured in watts. So it does not take twice the energy to run a 60 watt bulb designed for 120v, and the utilities do not charge you more because the voltage is lower.

JPWhite said:
Oh and if anyone tries to tell you 110 is safer than 220, volts don't kill, amps do. Some argue 220 is safer because the higher voltage makes your muscles jerk away with more force, so you are less likely to get a lethal jolt.
More nonsense. For a given voltage, the amperage used by a device depends on the resistance. In this case the "device" is your body, or the parts of your body included in the circuit. The limit amperage of the circuit has nothing to do with it. The voltage of the circuit sure does, though, because for a given resistance [i.e. a given body] the current goes up proportionally to the voltage and the energy goes up with the square of the voltage.

That said, 240v is often no worse than 120v, because the circuit through your body is often to ground, and each side of a 240v circuit is only 120v from ground. In a 120v circuit one side is at ground and the other is 120v from ground.

Ray

LeafinThePark said:
Nekota said:
This is an improvement ? No locking mechanism apparent

I think that is a locking mechanism at the top of the plug...along with a push button release on top of the handle...right where one's thumb would be.

Yes I see the 1772 style lock at the top but nothing is locking at the bottom near the high current connections. This connector depends on a close fit to the socket with the mechanical retainer at the top. If the cable is lifted the connector will flex 'upward' and the contacts move within the connector with the largest distortion at the high current plugs. I'm waiting to see the crossection view of the electrical plugs to see if they have the rigid mechanical construction to prevent movement of the contacts.

drees said:
Apparently the CHAdeMO plug does not meet ADA requirements.
ADA requirements? Please forgive my ignorance but is there a requirement already on the books that applies to DC charging? Why should DC charging be any different than gas pumps when it comes to ADA compliance?

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires gas stations to provide equal access for their customers with disabilities. If necessary to provide access, stations must provide refueling assistance upon the request of an individual with a disability. A service station or convenience store is not required to provide such service at any time that it is operating on a remote control basis with a single employee, but is encouraged to do so, if feasible.

Some related discussion on a Tesla forum:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/1381-Charging-Station-standards?p=77335&viewfull=1#post77335

...it looks like the new DC pins would block you from trying to plug that assembly into an AC only J1772 socket.
nofit.jpg

http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/10128
...The drive toward an SAE J1772 combo solution illustrates the need for the strategic partnership recently forged by the IEEE-SA and SAE—and, more broadly, the coordination across historically disparate technology spaces and organizations that is demanded by the smart grid...
...Another example is the ongoing IEEE P2030.1 "Guide for Electric-Sourced Transportation Infrastructure" standards project. Work is being carried out by four task forces—vehicle technology (including charging systems), electric grid (from generation to consumer), roadmap (including privacy and roaming), and communication/cyber security—and then integrated within the full working group for broader discussion and input...
...IEEE, meanwhile, has more than 100 standards and standards in development relevant to the smart grid...

Just a thought here... if this gets adopted would Nissan offer charging port redesign for existing Leaf's for a small fee :)

Here's a sneak peak at SAE's next proposed standard. It replaces the gasoline pump nozzle and the diesel pump nozzle with a single convenient connector. Although petroleum cars currently on the road have individual sockets for gas and/or diesel, and no car company has announced plans to build any car which could use the new connector, some SAE members may wish to enter the petroleum car market in the future. So SAE expects deployment of old style petroleum pumps in the U.S. to halt until the new standard pumps are ready. The rest of the world will of course continue to use the separate gasoline and diesel connectors. ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

walterbays said:
Here's a sneak peak at SAE's next proposed standard. It replaces the gasoline pump nozzle and the diesel pump nozzle with a single convenient connector. Although petroleum cars currently on the road have individual sockets for gas and/or diesel, and no car company has announced plans to build any car which could use the new connector, some SAE members may wish to enter the petroleum car market in the future. So SAE expects deployment of old style petroleum pumps in the U.S. to halt until the new standard pumps are ready. The rest of the world will of course continue to use the separate gasoline and diesel connectors. ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hilarious!! :mrgreen:

Back