ICED - Images of Offending Vehicles Board of Shame

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the fact he was not actually charging as required under the law, if it was in fact a PIP, he had every right to park there... The PiP is considered an EV for the purposes of the law...

vsaphill said:
As I get to my nightly charge at the blink DCQC in Azusa CA I see a Prius plug-in in one of the parking spots clearly marked parking for EV Charging only and there is plenty of parking spots in this lot at all times.

TimLee said:
adric22, that is the most incompetent post I've read on MNL in a long time.
The plug in Prius is parked in a DCFC only parking spot. It has no L2 EVSE.
The sign says “No Parking Except For Electric Vehicle Charging”.
The Plug-in Prius is clearly illegally parked, the driver was apparently too ignorant to even recognize that. The vehicle has to have a plug that will work for the EV charging spot, and has to be plugged in and charging, or it is illegally parked.

+1. Sorry, adric22, but you're way out of line here. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't realize this was a Quick Charger the Prius was PHEV'ing.

TimLee said:
The Plug-in Prius is clearly illegally parked, the driver was apparently too ignorant to even recognize that. The vehicle has to have a plug that will work for the EV charging spot, and has to be plugged in and charging, or it is illegally parked.
Ok, first of all. If you'll note, I was very specific that I sided with the PiP driver IF HE WAS PLUGGED IN and CHARGING. This was NOT made clear by the original poster. Being that I know a PiP has a charging port on the rear and he was backed in, suggested to me that he was charging. The fact that it is a DCFC station is irrelevant to me because all of the DCFC stations we have here in Dallas/Ft.Worth also have L2 charging and I have charged my Volt several times at a DCFC station. (don't worry, there is still room for somebody else to use the DCFC when I'm using the L2) Sorry I'm unfamiliar with the type of DCFC station shown in the photo. We don't have any of those. Don't blame me for being incompetent, blame the OP for not being clear on the matter.

adric22 said:
TimLee said:
Ok, first of all. If you'll note, I was very specific that I sided with the PiP driver IF HE WAS PLUGGED IN and CHARGING. This was NOT made clear by the original poster. Being that I know a PiP has a charging port on the rear and he was backed in, suggested to me that he was charging. The fact that it is a DCFC station is irrelevant to me because all of the DCFC stations we have here in Dallas/Ft.Worth also have L2 charging and I have charged my Volt several times at a DCFC station. (don't worry, there is still room for somebody else to use the DCFC when I'm using the L2) Sorry I'm unfamiliar with the type of DCFC station shown in the photo. We don't have any of those. Don't blame me for being incompetent, blame the OP for not being clear on the matter.
I apologize for use of the word incompetent. :( :(
I can fully understand how if the DCFC stations in Dallas/Ft.Worth all have L2 EVSE and that with the OP and picture not being clear on the point why you stated what you did.
Kind of unusual that the Dallas/Ft.Worth DCFC all have an L2 at the same spot. A lot of the Blink DCFC installations in TN at Cracker Barrels have one L2 EVSE, but it is in another parking spot. The newest Blink DCFC in Chattanooga at Sears has no L2 EVSE.

TomT said:
Other than the fact he was not actually charging as required under the law, if it was in fact a PIP, he had every right to park there... The PiP is considered an EV for the purposes of the law...

No, he didn't. The signage requires charging. He wasn't charging. End of story.

The way I read it was that he was claiming that a PiP had no right to park there, period. That, of course, is wrong. If he wasn't actually plugged in, which can't be determined from the picture, you are absolutely correct, of course.

mwalsh said:
TomT said:
No, he didn't. The signage requires charging. He wasn't charging. End of story.

TomT said:
The way I read it was that he was claiming that a PiP had no right to park there, period. That, of course, is wrong. If he wasn't actually plugged in, which can't be determined from the picture, you are absolutely correct, of course.
That is also the way I interpreted the OP's statement about the PiP. I envisioned a situation where a PiP was parked and charging, and a Leaf driver drove up and argued with him that he didn't have the right to charge there. And thus, why i jumped to defend the PiP driver in this situation because I know there are some Leaf drivers that feel this way.

But now that it has been cleared up that the PiP was NOT CHARGING and furthermore couldn't charge at that station even if he wanted to, then I will side with the Leaf driver. But I'll say it again, the leaf driver should have been more clear when posting that photo of what the situation was. A lot of details were left as assumptions for the readers.

adric22 said:
DCFC stations we have here in Dallas/Ft.Worth also have L2 charging and I have charged my Volt several times at a DCFC station. (don't worry, there is still room for somebody else to use the DCFC when I'm using the L2)
Do you have a link to a picture of one of these? I'm curious how they are configured. What brand are they?

TimLee said:
adric22 said:
DCFC stations we have here in Dallas/Ft.Worth also have L2 charging and I have charged my Volt several times at a DCFC station. (don't worry, there is still room for somebody else to use the DCFC when I'm using the L2)
Do you have a link to a picture of one of these? I'm curious how they are configured. What brand are they?

20121112_eVgohouston1-300x198.jpg

They are aerovironment units. What they do is place an L2 station right next to a Chademo station. All of the eVgo stations around here are configured like this. There is usually room for at least 2 cars to park so one car can fast charge while the other can use the L2.

TimLee said:
...The Plug-in Prius is clearly illegally parked, the driver was apparently too ignorant to even recognize that. The vehicle has to have a plug that will work for the EV charging spot, and has to be plugged in and charging, or it is illegally parked.

That's being generous.

In any case, drivers will continue to take advantage and give the finger to EV spots, until penalties are made clear and enforced. The same behaviors were common when handicapped spaces were first being laid out. Some people still disregard the signage but for the most part those behaviors have been changed by well-known fines and enforcement.

I think EV spots will have a harder time getting respect than handicapped spots. Most rational people will concede the need to provide handicapped persons easier access. That benevolence doesn't extend to EV drivers. Not only is convenience often at play, but add resentment, ideological and spite behaviors. This is just getting started folks. It's going to get uglier before it gets better.

adric22 said:
TimLee said:
adric22 said:

20121112_eVgohouston1-300x198.jpg

They are aerovironment units. What they do is place an L2 station right next to a Chademo station. All of the eVgo stations around here are configured like this. There is usually room for at least 2 cars to park so one car can fast charge while the other can use the L2.

Good approach. That way drivers who need to charge to 100% can get the initial quick charge to 80 or 90% and then move to the L2 and free up the QC.

TomT said:

Blink double-headed CHAdeMO DCQC from what I can see. No way a Prius of any description could have parked there and charged.

vsaphill said:
IMG_20130702_180411_zpsbe707f00.jpg

As I get to my nightly charge at the blink DCQC in Azusa CA I see a Prius plug-in in one of the parking spots clearly marked parking for EV Charging only and there is plenty of parking spots in this lot at all times. So when the guy comes out and starts putting some boxes in the back of his car I ask him why he parked here and he tells me he has an electric vehicle!, I said no you have a Hybrid then he starts arguing with me that it’s electric and he can park here so I told him to read the sign! “No Parking Except For Electric Vehicle Charging” I also asked him to show me how he can charge here! Then he drove off.

Mr Chung left his version of events here... http://priuschat.com/threads/furious-and-ignorant-nissan-leaf-driver.128818/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the Prius forum, there's debate if there is a L2 charging station at that same location. Looking on Plugshare, http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/13998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, found the station and they list is as L3 only.

The Prius owner said they had finished charging but they clearly lied and could not have charged at that location. Interesting to see how defensive everyone gets too, but good to see that folks figured it out on the Prius forum and laid appropriate blame.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n6CRgoMqmI[/youtube]

This is the only public electric vehicle charging station in the entire city of Westland, MI. Neighboring cities like Garden City, Wayne (which manufactures Fords plugins like the Focus EV, Fusion Energi, and C-MAX Energi), Canton, and Inkster have ZERO public charging stations. Partiaully ICED by a Crown Vic (wasn't mine!), but luckily it had 2 spots.

dm33 said:
On the Prius forum, there's debate if there is a L2 charging station at that same location. Looking on Plugshare, http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/13998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, found the station and they list is as L3 only.

The Prius owner said they had finished charging but they clearly lied and could not have charged at that location. Interesting to see how defensive everyone gets too, but good to see that folks figured it out on the Prius forum and laid appropriate blame.

Here are a couple of other photos of that charging location. Not conclusive but I don't see any provision for L1 or L2 within range of those parking spaces.

Azusa-Fast-Charge-Station.jpg

userUpload.jpg

userUpload.jpg

mwalsh said:
gaswalla said:
Mr Chung left his version of events here... http://priuschat.com/threads/furious-and-ignorant-nissan-leaf-driver.128818/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr. Chung is a jackass.
Well, at least in his later post, he did make the following acknowledgement: "My mistake was to leave my car there while I went to search internet about this charging station and got my boxes."
So he did finally acknowledge that he had been ignorant in parking there thinking that it was an L2 EVSE that he could charge his plug-in Prius at, and had made a mistake in leaving his car there.
But he never did the correct thing and apologize.
So his overall behaviour does indicate he is at a least a bit of what you stated he is.

Back