how to charge to 100% from phone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaduman

We are on our 2nd month and love the Leaf. A quick question to help plan our days better.

On the days that we need 100% charge (we keep at 80% for most all days), how can we do that from the phone? We tried the following but the result wasn't what we expected.
Our timer is set to stop charging by morning 7AM, and charge to 80%. That is our normal schedule.
The night before, wife wanted 100% charge for longer range next morning. We had learnt that if we start charge from the phone, it would do 100% for that night. So at about mid-night, and the car hadn't started charging at that time, we pressed "charge" on the phone app and it confirmed that charging message has been sent.

Next morning, when we pulled the car out of garage, it had only charged to 80%. We didn't interrupt the charge - charging had already stopped when we started the car at 8AM in the morning. I was hoping because it was a manual request for charging using the phone app, it would do a full 100% charge.

What instruction are we missing? Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
cheers
PN, San Jose, CA

I believe if you want to override the charge timer before or during that charging event, you need to use the override button in the car. that puts the car into immediate charge to 100%. Via the carwings app, you can start charging to 100% after the timer charging is finished at 80%. Try setting the end of the 80% timer earlier, and start charging to 100% with the app (or the over ride button) when you wake up. You will get very close to 100% in 1 hr. I use the continuous charge to 80% timer, and just go hit the over ride button 1 to 2 hrs before I need to leave on a longer trip.

edit: I'm assuming you are using the timer in the car, not the Blink. I don't have a Blink and don't know how it works.

If I recall correctly, you can stop and restart charging from your phone, which will override the onboard timer. LEAF Link from a fellow owner and MNL member seems to do what you are looking for.

Nissan-Leaf-app-650x337.jpg

leaflink-iphone-app_100405529_m.jpg

surfingslovak said:
If I recall correctly, you can stop and restart charging from your phone, which will override the onboard timer.
While I didn't know that is what it would do, note that in the OP's case, the timed charge hadn't yet started. In effect, it sounds like when the timed charge started it replaced the 100% manual charged with the 80% set on the timer.

RegGuheert said:
In effect, it sounds like when the timed charge started it replaced the 100% manual charged with the 80% set on the timer.
Yes, that sounds surprising. While I'm not the greatest expert on the topic, I suspect that LEAF Link might be the best bet. Unless a better solution is found for the standard LEAF app.

You can restart charging (if still connected) for a full charge once it stops with an 80% or timer charge, but you CANNOT stop charging while underway or override timers via Carwings. (or any phone/internet access)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
You can restart charging (if still connected) for a full charge once it stops with an 80% or timer charge, but you CANNOT stop charging while underway or override timers via Carwings. (or any phone/internet access)

-Phil

I think that is what is happening. I do have experience of starting a manual charge using phone to get to 100% in the morning AFTER the timed charge (to 80%) had completed. That went well. But, it failed when I started a manual charge using phone BEFORE the timed charge started, when the timed charge kicked in, it overrode my phone manual charge request.

So the logic that might be getting applied is:
If a charge is initiated manually by phone/internet, car will charge to 100%, UNLESS, a pre-scheduled TIMER-based charge starts DURING manual charging event. In that case, the timer-based charge preference takes over.
BUT, if a manual charge is initiated by pressing the "cancel timed charge" button on the left side of steering wheel (US cars e.g.) and plugging into the charged port within 15mins, the car will charge to 100%.

Got that right?

thanks for the great suggestions on LeafLink - I had seen it before, but glad to see more features now being added!
PN

This sounds completely wrong. In my experience, using the phone to start charging is identical in function to pressing the timer override button in the car. If you did it before the timer started charging, the car should have started a 100% charge immediately and ignored the timer that would have started later. Had you "started" a charge from the phone AFTER the timer charge started, it should have overridden the timer and proceeded to 100% instead of 80%. I've done both so many times that I question if you've described the sequence of events accurately.

I am so frustrated by this 80% charging business. Until I heard about the Phoenix battery capacity woes, I had always charged to 100%. Then decided maybe I should be a little more proactive about prolonging the batteries. So I set the charge time from midnight to midnight with an 80% charge.

I cannot make head or tail of that override button. I push it, nothing changes. Turn car on, turn it off again, push it, nothing happens. Third time, the indicator light shows immediate charge mode is on. Plug in car... charges to 80%. Yeah, nothing to do with using the phone when I can't even get the thing to 100% without telling it to charge again (and I went outside to press the button again, didn't even think of using the phone because the Android app's pretty messed up).

I always hit the override/"timer off" (or the web site or app equivalent) once I've already plugged in, and it charges to 100%. If you hit the button in the car while plugged in, the LEAF should "beep" to acknowledge it if I remember correctly.

I'm also always set to 80%, and use the Blink home L2 unit to control charge to off-peak.

--Ron

If you press the button ONCE when the car is off and unplugged, the center light will illuminate to acknowledge the request for full charge. I simply press this after pulling the charge door open lever before exiting the car to plug in. Works every time and without fail.

If I charge to 80% and later decide I need a full charge, and the car is still connected, I can use carwings to restart charging. It would be nice if I could simply indicate my departure time and desired SOC in carwings, and it would take care of it. :cry:

-Phil

davewill said:
This sounds completely wrong. In my experience, using the phone to start charging is identical in function to pressing the timer override button in the car. If you did it before the timer started charging, the car should have started a 100% charge immediately and ignored the timer that would have started later. Had you "started" a charge from the phone AFTER the timer charge started, it should have overridden the timer and proceeded to 100% instead of 80%. I've done both so many times that I question if you've described the sequence of events accurately.
Confirmed for me, too. I am always set 80% with timer. This Friday I plugged the car in and it would have gone 80% but a few minutes after doing so I used the phone app to "start charging" (even though it already was). Woke up at 100%.

Back