How many 2011 and 2012 LEAFs are still on the road today?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would still be driving my 2011 if it had not met its demise. There is no comparison between the 2011 battery and 2015 battery in my climate. The 2011 was down to 8 capacity bars after a little over 2 years while the 2015 is still at 11 bars after almost 27 months and over 39,000 miles. The 2011 had some features I miss, but the heat pump, faster charger, and much better battery in the 2015 more than make up for the loss. I have no desire for the complexity, extra weight, and energy use of a battery refrigeration system and liquid cooling without refrigeration would have little or no benefit in 120 F ambient temperatures.

My 2012 is no longer on the road. Hit from behind while stopped on the freeway.

In my climate, mostly cool and rainy, I would far prefer to have a passive cooled battery. About the only possible use for a cooling system would be frequent road trips with multiple QCs in the short non-rainy season. Spouse has a VW gasoline convertible, and if it is convertible weather it is hard to convince her to take anything but the convertible. Especially for a long trip. As you might guess, the Leaf gets a lot more use than the convertible. I've only rarely see more than 30C or 86F for battery temperatures. Many designs for cooling don't cool the battery until it reaches 30C.

In the two years I owned a 2012 and the three years I owned a 2014 I've seen a similar reduction in battery capacity, something close to 10%. If it makes 10 years/100k miles with more than 70% capacity, I'll be pleased. I still think I have a reasonable chance of this.

Current stats 59.20 AHr, SOH 90% HX 90.23% 30,138 miles

Stoaty said:
OrientExpress said:
Stoaty said:
What data do you have to support your statement?

Reality pretty much is the supportative data. If you've got something better than that then show it.
OK, so you don't have any data. As I suspected.
Unlike the unpublished Leaf battery replacement data you two are imaginating...
We do know however that over 6% of sub 1 year old cars leave the road (just not a brand specific metric)
And that on average 5.5% of all cars leave the road a year so we can calculate a swag. (Last year and again not brand specific)

cwerdna said:
webb14leafs said:
The $7500 federal tax rebate expires after 150,000 cars are sold.
Incorrect nor is it a rebate. It is a tax CREDIT.

See Phaseout at the bottom of http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml.
The credit begins to phase out for vehicles at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after the manufacturer has sold 200,000 eligible plug-in electric vehicles (i.e., plug-in hybrids and EVs) in the United States as counted from January 1, 2010. IRS will announce when a manufacturer exceeds this production figure and will announce the subsequent phase out schedule (Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit Quarterly Sales).
There is a graphic with an example.

The credit becomes $0 at beginning of the 6th calendar quarter.

Thanks for the correction, but the argument still applies. The Gen 2 model will likely lose the credit at some point.

GerryAZ said:
There is no comparison between the 2011 battery and 2015 battery in my climate. The 2011 was down to 8 capacity bars after a little over 2 years while the 2015 is still at 11 bars after almost 27 months and over 39,000 miles.

This is great news on the newer battery! I have a 2011 SL that I purchased used and Autonation Nissan in Chandler, AZ just replaced my battery by using some kind of "coupon" warranty. I have high hopes that this replacement battery performs as well as your 2015 has. My battery is only a few weeks old but I am giddy when I wake up and see over 100 miles on the GOM ... and previously I was seeing between 55-60 as my wake up range.

Love my Leaf and was really getting depressed thinking about what I was going to do as the range continued to decrease. I guess that decision can be put off for at least a few more years. :)

glecko said:
GerryAZ said:
There is no comparison between the 2011 battery and 2015 battery in my climate. The 2011 was down to 8 capacity bars after a little over 2 years while the 2015 is still at 11 bars after almost 27 months and over 39,000 miles.

... I have a 2011 SL that I purchased used and Autonation Nissan in Chandler, AZ just replaced my battery by using some kind of "coupon" warranty. I have high hopes that this replacement battery performs as well as your 2015 has....
Tell all :D I have a '12 lacking 2 bars and like you I'm seeing a range of 50ish miles :( Where did you get the "coupon" from and what did the replacement end up costing you in the end, oh and how many bars did your previous battery have? My '12 is still in excellent mechanical shape, just miss the range of a better battery and don't think I'd want to pay $5k or whatever the total cost to replace it on my dime would be.

jjeff said:
Where did you get the "coupon" from

Not sure - they actually offered to do the battery warranty work and I didn't question it. Figured it was my (very) lucky day.

jjeff said:
and what did the replacement end up costing you in the end, oh and how many bars did your previous battery have? My '12 is still in excellent mechanical shape, just miss the range of a better battery and don't think I'd want to pay $5k or whatever the total cost to replace it on my dime would be.

Battery replacement didn't cost me anything. Now the A/C work that I initially brought the car in for ... that wasn't cheap.

I'm not sure how or why, but my service team was able to make the battery swap happen. I consider myself very fortunate as I basically have a new car.

I also have a 2012 and wondering what was wrong with your AC? How many miles on yours? Mine is 33k miles and so far nothing has ever broken on the car.

John

Back