How do you talk about your LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRONZ said:
I let others start the conversation and ask the questions about whatever they want. If you just answer peoples questions honestly the car sells itself.

This is my tactic too. I usually stay quiet when coworkers complain about gas prices just because I don't want to rub it in. Everyone knows I drive an EV because I wrote an internal blog post about it. I let people come to me with questions and I answer honestly. I try to make it clear that it's not the car for everyone, but someday it can be. There are two people I work with who seem to be actively resistant towards me however. I don't really understand why. This one guy makes comments like "oh you're the one who hates oil" and once when I was getting on the elevator with him and other people, he said "no electric car drivers. gas only!" I'm more confused than anything. Lke, who loves oil and paying for gas? And when have I ever said anything to anyone about the car they drive? And why am I on some other "team" because I drive electric? I just say "hey, if you like paying all that money for gas, go right ahead!" He has a long commute, drives a BMW, and only gets sh*tty MPG. So I'm like, dude, you made your choice. But whatever, if people want to throw their money away, that's their decision. This other FB "friend" assumes I'm some super environmentalist (environmental reasons are not the main reasons why I actually bought the car) and he made some snotty comments on my FB page about how EVs will drain the world of its fossil fuels and they're not really that great for the environment. I never said they were! But they're much better than regular cars obvs. But he should talk because he drives a BMW too!

The typical question I get is 'how do you like it?'

I respond with 'I don't - I LOVE IT - absolutely 100% satisfied after nearly 3K miles'.

Any other questions often include cost to drive. 'I paid 4 cents per mile in Jan & Feb with the heater running' is usually enough to sell them :lol:

evnow said:
I mostly talk about how to make it work i.e. 2 car families, use the other car for longer drives etc.

I also tell them it goes 70 miles on a charge (on freeways, heater etc).

I explain how much it costs ("it is cheaper than a prius", no sales tax etc). How to charge it and it costs $35 in electric bill if you drive 1,000 miles.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and funny postings for this topic. I'll be much better prepared for those friendly conversations when I finally get my EV! And PDXLeafer... love your license plate!

This was my face when I read "no sales tax" :arrow: :eek: I've never heard this! There's no sales tax? Is that just in WA state? Very cool, and I am impressed by the state governments(s) for doing this! Anyone know if this is also the case in CA or other states?

OilFreedom said:
There's no sales tax? Is that just in WA state? Very cool, and I am impressed by the state governments(s) for doing this! Anyone know if this is also the case in CA or other states?

Washington has a sales tax. Oregon, Montana, New Hampshire and Delaware (maybe Alaska) do not.

California is handing out 5000 dollar rebates (for a limited time). Washington is doing the same, in effect, by waiving the sales tax. In CA, you get to do paperwork to get your rebate (not so bad considering the amount, though).

I usually stay quiet when coworkers complain about gas prices just because I don't want to rub it in.

I tend to take the opposite approach. I ask them if they just want to vent or are actually open to doing something about it. The very large majority just want to vent. Range is the usual issue most object to when it comes to the LEAF. I then offer the choice of a CNG Honda Civic, which when fueled at home has a fuel cost of about $0.8/GGE and a range of 250-280 miles. Then the argument shifts from range to, yeah but that's not for me. So my response is; no problem, keep paying for gas since that seems to work better for you.

It seems to me that any perceived loss of convenience is worth more to the masses than a rational look at the facts. What appears to work is letting people drive it. As already mentioned by a few in this thread, the way the car drives results in more interest than the other rational arguments.

Adrian said:
It seems to me that any perceived loss of convenience is worth more to the masses than a rational look at the facts. What appears to work is letting people drive it. As already mentioned by a few in this thread, the way the car drives results in more interest than the other rational arguments.

Definitely. The funny thing is the most common comment I hear when they actually see or sit in the Leaf is "Wow, this is like a real car!" I think people perceive "Electric Cars" as little toys with no frills, no power, tiny, unsafe, and crappy (kind of like my Xebra, which is all of those things). They're just shocked when they realize that it really is a practical, normal car.

I think this is one of those general perceptions that has to be overcome before the general masses will accept that EVs are a possibility. And the more EVs that are out on the road and visible, the more willing people are going to be to accept that it IS a viable alternative.

EVs are getting out to a slow start, certainly not helped by the terrible disasters in Japan, but I think once there are enough out there and some charging infrastructure gets built out, we'll see a pretty quick adoption by a lot of people that would have never considered it before. Let the EV revolution begin! :)

malloryk said:
There are two people I work with who seem to be actively resistant towards me however. I don't really understand why. This one guy makes comments like "oh you're the one who hates oil" and once when I was getting on the elevator with him and other people, he said "no electric car drivers. gas only!" I'm more confused than anything.

Just laugh about it, joke with them.. its not really a serious subject. You realize you are not saving the planet right?

TonyWilliams said:
Washington has a sales tax. Oregon, Montana, New Hampshire and Delaware (maybe Alaska) do not.

From everything I have read, EV's and other AFV's are exempt from state sales tax in Washington State

Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) Tax Exemption
New passenger cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty passenger vehicles that are dedicated AFVs are exempt from the state motor vehicle sales and use taxes. Qualified vehicles must operate exclusively on natural gas, propane, hydrogen, or electricity, meet the California motor vehicle emissions standards, and comply with the rules of the Washington Department of Ecology. This exemption also applies to qualified used vehicles that are modified with a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency certified aftermarket conversion, as long as the vehicle is being sold for the first time after modification. The converted vehicle must be part of a fleet of at least five vehicles owned by the same person and have an odometer reading of less than 30,000 miles. This tax exemption expires July 1, 2015. (Reference Revised Code of Washington 82.08.809 and 82.12.809)
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/laws/WA/tech/3270

Exemptions — Vehicles using clean alternative fuels. (Expires January 1, 2015.)
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=82.12.809

WA state does have sales tax exemption on the Leaf which essentially makes it a $24,000 car.

with $7500 from feds, about $3,000 from WA that is about 10.5K off the top.

in fact, all things EV are sales tax exempt. i saved a bit when replacing batteries on my Zenn EV as well

Nice! Anything the state and federal governments can do to support EV uptake is a good thing. This is a great example of when subsidies make a lot of sense. Hmmm... Why are the oil companies still getting $billions in federal subsidies? :cry: Oh I remember why, and that's probably a different forum topic! ;)

Back