Are We having FUN yet? (Was Are You having FUN yet?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier this evening my wife and I left our children with their grandparents, and drove to Big Bear Lake for groceries and then dinner at the "Himalayan" restaurant (which we highly recommend). Instead of having fun hypermiling, I decided to enjoy taking the road at higher speeds. Indeed, the LEAF corners quite well; I never did get the tires to squeal, even on the "13 Curves" and the "Arctic Circle", names that locals use for a couple of twisty sections of road between Arrowbear and Big Bear.

We were trailed by a nice black sportscar (perhaps a Camaro?) pretty much the entire way home. While the driver had a couple of good opportunities to pass us, he/she chose not to. Either that driver felt that we were already going plenty fast, or perhaps recognized the LEAF and wanted to observe our e-car in action.

I told my wife that I won't be driving that way too often. If nothing else, it would lead to tire replacement in maybe 5-10K miles. However, the "EV grin" is very real! :D

My wife and I picked up our Leaf May 11, and living at ~2,000 feet in Alpine, I was a bit anxious about trips down the hill into San Diego and back. I've been keeping trips to about 65 miles and less until I get a better feel, which gets me home with 2 or 3 bars remaining.

This Saturday was a beautiful day, so we decided to see how far we could go towards Julian, which is around 6,300 feet or so and around 70 miles round trip. Headed east up Hwy 8 at 55 using cruise, no A/C, low fan, and exited on the 79 (Japatul Rd exit) having used 3 bars. Drove between 35 and 45 except for the curviest sections, and pulled into Cuyamaca Lake having used 6 bars. Had breakfast on the deck overlooking the lake, which was gorgeous, then walked around for a bit. Snce we'd hit the "halfway mark", headed back and since it was mostly downhill, arrived home having used thru the 7th bar and a bit of the 8th (oh for a more accurate SOC!), having driven 51.5 miles.

I suspect going all the way to Julian and back we would return on the last bar, maybe less. Will try that some day perhaps. I have asked their chamber of commerce if they would install L2 charging and they said were considering placing one by the Library. I've asked for an update.

I have to say, the Leaf drives like a dream! The handling and control it has on the curvy roads made one-hand driving effortless (ok, I did use two hands in those 15-mph hairpins) and the power available in the tight turns with regen allowed superb control. Wow, what a great and comfortable driving experience! There's no comparison to the 2009 Ford Focus we previously owned or an older Altima.

Nissan really got it right with the Leaf! Now if only ECOtality would get the public charging stations installed!

A few notes from the hooliganism department:

I have tried on two different occasions to do a burn out, and so far I'm thinking Car & Driver lied. With the traction control off, on a smooth road (no bumps), from a stand still, mashing the go pedal will not produce even a little chirp from the front tires. That said, full "throttle" acceleration across a bumpy intersection from a stand still will yield little chirps as the tires skip over the bumps.

While the LEAF will not win a high speed contest, it does have very satisfying acceleration from a stand still, as well as very satisfying acceleration 30-50, 40-60, 50-70, etc. 80 mph is easily attainable, even on uphills. I often find myself feeling the obligation to dispel any "pokey EV" myths by stomping on it at the slightest challenge: I simply refuse to be responsible for tales of "stuck behind a crawling 'zero-emission' car". Torque is both useful and entertaining!

The same torque also helps a lot in minimizing the tires' traction deficiency in corners. The readily available torque makes it easy to squat the car onto its rear suspension. That and the (supposedly) low CG results in an entertaining LEAF. While the chassis' behavior is quite far from ideal, given the copious body lean, plentiful suspension movement, and slide-y tires, it's not too difficult to make swift progress in the twisties.

aqn said:

I have tried on two different occasions to do a burn out, and so far I'm thinking Car & Driver lied. With the traction control off, on a smooth road (no bumps), from a stand still, mashing the go pedal will not produce even a little chirp from the front tires. That said, full "throttle" acceleration across a bumpy intersection from a stand still will yield little chirps as the tires skip over the bumps.

Hmm, I definitely achieved a burnout a couple days ago, Andi, and can still see the tire marks on the street! I was stopped at a stop sign at the end of our street, waiting to make a left turn, with the car in ECO. Being new to the car, I wasn't used to the thick roof pillar that can definitely block the driver's view to the left, so I had started to pull out when my wife cried, look out! I slammed on the brakes halfway into the road, then realized that an oncoming car was indeed barreling down at us doing about 45, and I couldn't back up due to a car pulling up behind me. I floored it and the wheels did indeed spin and squeal.

I guess that's a cautionary note for new Leaf drivers - make sure you double-check when making a left turn. I almost clobbered a pedestrian due to that pillar obscuring them as I was making a left turn. You really need to move your head to ensure the way is clear.

aqn said:

BnBinSD said:
Hmm, I definitely achieved a burnout a couple days ago, Andi, and can still see the tire marks on the street! I was stopped at a stop sign at the end of our street, waiting to make a left turn, with the car in ECO. Being new to the car, I wasn't used to the thick roof pillar that can definitely block the driver's view to the left, so I had started to pull out when my wife cried, look out! I slammed on the brakes halfway into the road, then realized that an oncoming car was indeed barreling down at us doing about 45, and I couldn't back up due to a car pulling up behind me. I floored it and the wheels did indeed spin and squeal.
Very interesting... Just to clarify: this is in the process of making a left turn, right? I often chirp the inside tire in a hard right turn if I floor it at the apex. Have you tried flooring it from a stand still in a straight line with the traction control off?

Back